ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

View Poll Results: Do you wear a duty belt in the field?
Yes 35 83.33%
No 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

On this picture of my old duty belt the large pouch in the middle is a cable leash, The case is a cheap piece of crap that only has a single belt loop in the center, and the sides fold up whenever you try to unzip it so I had it for years before I ever actually used it. It never failed that on a cool morning I would put my leash in my jacket pocket, and then when it warmed up I would take off the jacket and leave my leash in the pocket so I started carrying it on my belt so that I would always have a leash available.
Old 11-06-2010
Forum Friend

Breal76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
I very rarely get caught without my slip lead, but I have had it happen when I go on a call and throw the lead on one dog to find that there were two or more dogs at the call that I was not aware of when I got there. I've had to run back and forth dropping dogs off in the truck and going back for the next when I could have either tied one up or given the dog to a police officer, etc, while I went after the next one.

Now, I carry a back up slip lead in my jacket and another one in one of the pant pockets of the 5.11's. Trial and error; you just have to see what works for you. I do well with slip leads and they are light weight, so I carry extras and it has prevented me from having to go back and forth to the truck many a time.
I am like you on the slip lead or loose leash as I call em. If I don't have one in my pocket I am wearing it. It's a habit I picked up working at the Humane Society in Vancouver. I wear it over the head under one armpit (so I don't hang myself). I like wearing it because I always know for sure I have one. On calls with more than one dog they usually dispatch out two officers. Last time this happened I had both dogs loaded before the other Officer arrived on scene. One dog just jumped into my truck and the other one I was able to leash and load.
Old 11-06-2010
Provisional Posting ACO

texantrinity is on a distinguished road

Wearing the lead is common, but if you try and wear it just around your neck (especially the cable leads), they want to fall off.

The pouch on the belt is what I have seen most commonly used to keep the cable lead in. I'm looking to improve that. I have the "oh sh#$" bars in my truck where I hang the leads from (nylon and cable). I keep the nice collars/leashes in the back of the truck to give to citizens when needed. And a Microchip scanner on your belt! Jealous.
Old 11-06-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantrinity View Post
And a Microchip scanner on your belt! Jealous.
That was the good old days when I worked by myself. Now I have 3 ACOs, 2 + myself, but only one (broken) mini tracker, so I am currently without the scanner for my belt.

Our trucks have handgrips beside the windshield in front of the doors, and we normally keep 10 or so leashes hanging from them. My old truck had a bottom on the space in the door handle where the opener is, and I always kept a leash in there so I would grab it when I opened the door. My cup holders usually have 2 or 3 in them. I normally try to keep one in my cargo pocket, but I have found 3 or 4 in there from time to time. I found my cable leash while looking for my multi tool, so I may slide it back on to the belt (just in case).
Old 11-10-2010

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breal76 View Post
I like wearing it because I always know for sure I have one. On calls with more than one dog they usually dispatch out two officers. Last time this happened I had both dogs loaded before the other Officer arrived on scene. One dog just jumped into my truck and the other one I was able to leash and load.
Jeez I wanna work with you. We usually have two officers fo the whole city and get multiple dog calls constantly...shoot I picked up 8 dogs today...and two cats, a squirrel and a opossum haha. We roll solo on everything, three aggressive pit bulls...riding solo
Old 11-10-2010
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=shawnee2630;100339]Jeez I wanna work with you. We usually have two officers fo the whole city and get multiple dog calls constantly...shoot I picked up 8 dogs today...and two cats, a squirrel and a opossum haha. We roll solo on everything, three aggressive pit bulls...riding solo[/QUOTE

No kidding...

I went from being the only ACO for a whole county (and that was enough) to working in the Big City, having 7 officers on at once and needing roughly 10 more.....

We leave the office with nothing less then 15 runs to do and know we will get probably close to that dispatched to us during our shift....

We run solo to everything, wether its multipul dogs or backing up LE for their arrests or dog calls they respond to....

Yesterday I picked up 2 raccoons, on opposum and two aggressive as hell dogs. Responded to one DOA and assisted my partners twice on their calls. Did 3 neglect investigations and several "stray / pack roams". I still had calls in my box when I checked out of service.....

How this ties into my duty belt to keep this conversation on Topic? I don't have enough tools on it......LOL
Old 11-10-2010
Forum Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee2630 View Post
Jeez I wanna work with you. We usually have two officers fo the whole city and get multiple dog calls constantly...shoot I picked up 8 dogs today...and two cats, a squirrel and a opossum haha. We roll solo on everything, three aggressive pit bulls...riding solo
lol..no you don't.

We still need more Officers for the county. However Officer safety is our number one rule. If noone can help call 911.
Old 11-10-2010

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Call 911 for what haha...I had three pit bulls tearing the sh*t out of another pit bull about 6 months after I started. My only other officer at the time was on the other side of the city about 45 minutes away at least so I called PD and asked for an officer to come "simply to provide lethal force if necessary" and a sgt came over the air and told me if it is a person we will help you, but if its animals it is "on your hands"
Old 11-10-2010
Forum Friend

Quote:
Call 911 for what haha...I had three pit bulls tearing the sh*t out of another pit bull about 6 months after I started. My only other officer at the time was on the other side of the city about 45 minutes away at least so I called PD and asked for an officer to come "simply to provide lethal force if necessary" and a sgt came over the air and told me if it is a person we will help you, but if its animals it is "on your hands"
Sounds like you have a great working relationship with law enforcement. We do. When I was a dispatcher and an Officer would call in that they needed cops. I could have Police on scene in less than five minutes. I also at times didn't have an ACO to dispatch to calls so I would call the police to remedy the situation. They call us when they need us and we are there on scene as fast as we can be.
Old 11-11-2010
Probationary Trainee

Ongoing Problem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'd have to side with the Sergeant on that one, they are not there to "provide lethal force" to Animal Control, nor would lethal force be justified in protecting the life of another dog.