ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

View Poll Results: Do you wear a duty belt in the field?
Yes 35 83.33%
No 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

We must be in full uniform before we clock in. This includes the duty belt.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 11-04-2010
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

As far as having a place for a leash, I carry a slip-lead inside of an old flashlight holder (bought flashlight and holder in Home Depot). The flashlight always kept falling out; the holder was too thin for any other flashlight. Since I found myself in situations where I needed a slip lead rather than the snare a few times, I got used to keeping one on my belt in that case. The case is really thin and does not take much space. (My belt is really small since I only weight about 95 lbs; I had to modify the belts by punching holes in the strap to fit me!!)
Old 11-05-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
(My belt is really small since I only weight about 95 lbs; I had to modify the belts by punching holes in the strap to fit me!!)
Reminds me of the time that I was in a departmental meeting at my old PD. They were discussing impact weapons and the requirement that the officers carry them, and a couple of the female officers, 130 pounds each, were complaining about not having enough space on their belt for additional equipment, so a couple of our bigger guys, 310 pounds each, offered to lease them space on their belts.
Old 11-05-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
Reminds me of the time that I was in a departmental meeting at my old PD. They were discussing impact weapons and the requirement that the officers carry them, and a couple of the female officers, 130 pounds each, were complaining about not having enough space on their belt for additional equipment, so a couple of our bigger guys, 310 pounds each, offered to lease them space on their belts.

That would mean that I would have to call for back-up every time I needed a piece of equipment!!! (Don't need the extra ACO, just his belt!)

I compensated for the lack of girth by using a "fanny pack" as my belt. I can put smaller items in the bag component which leaves me a little more room for the essential "I need to grab in an instant" items which I leave on the belt portion of the fanny pack.

The only problem I have with carrying all of the equipment is the weight. There have been a few times where I have had to scale a wall/fence and while I was moving around, I felt the the "fanny pack" stretch and start to slip. I have had to stitch the belt portion onto itself to prevent it from stretching while I am in pursuit or scaling fences, etc.

On the other hand, being small has its advantages. I was able to get through a hole that kids were using to break into a yard that was completely fenced in. There was a trapped animal between two buildings and PD could not get in through the hole. I was able to follow the kids into the yard and get in touch with the landlord who opened the gate. The gate was self-locking so I had to tie it open with my slip-lead, call dispatch and tell PD where I made an entry way for them. They get a kick out of it when I find them an entry way that they did not see. (By the way, the fence was wrought iron and there was no good footholds for PD to step up and over.)
Old 11-05-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Petite definitely has its advantages. I donít climb fences if I can help it, because when I get on top of a chain link fence the thing shakes and wobbles so bad I nearly fall off. When I was wearing my body armor I really felt like Frankenstein. My vest had the tails that tuck into my pants, and it doesnít flex very well, so I couldnít turn at the waist. Other directions of bending and flexing are also inhibited. Not only that, but I got on the scale at the vets office one day and it settled out at 245, at the time I was a mere 220 and I could really feel the extra weight.
Old 11-05-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
Petite definitely has its advantages. I donít climb fences if I can help it, because when I get on top of a chain link fence the thing shakes and wobbles so bad I nearly fall off. When I was wearing my body armor I really felt like Frankenstein. My vest had the tails that tuck into my pants, and it doesnít flex very well, so I couldnít turn at the waist. Other directions of bending and flexing are also inhibited. Not only that, but I got on the scale at the vets office one day and it settled out at 245, at the time I was a mere 220 and I could really feel the extra weight.
Ahh. You could visit your local rock gym and train on the slack line. You get find your balance and you can do flips on top of the chain link fence no matter your size.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 11-05-2010
Giga-posting ACO

It better be some robust individual on the other end of the rope, cause if I slip, they might get flung over the wall.
Old 11-05-2010
Forum Friend

Breal76 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do have one but I don't have enough stuff to go on it. The only equipment I have is a radio and cellphone/nextel. I wore it for awhile but then realized my normal belt would do just fine. I have tactical 5.11 pants that have a gazzillion pockets. I put my loose leash in a cargo pocket. Sometimes one on each side. I do keep a knife in the pocket on my 5.11 boots. My winter coat is on order and I am waiting to see how many more pockets that thing is going to have. I find my uniform to be a pocket maze.
Old 11-05-2010
Provisional Posting ACO

texantrinity is on a distinguished road

Aye, I get the pocket maze. Throw in a jacket and it makes it even more hilarious while I figure out where I put what that day.

I (and many of my co-workers) admit that we have been out in the field and after using the leash (maybe on a prior call), left it in the truck and have to go back to the truck to get it.
I just wanted to see if this was an issue anyone else out there had (how minor it may seem). We do have the pouches for the leashes to go in, but I am in the process of developing a new tool for Animal Control Officers that would be a nice improvement.

Can't discuss in more detail right now, but that is the reasoning for the inquiry. Feel free to continue!

1) Do you wear a duty belt?
2) Have you ever been in need of a lead/leash and didn't have one (or an extra one) with you at the time?
Old 11-05-2010
Giga-posting ACO

I very rarely get caught without my slip lead, but I have had it happen when I go on a call and throw the lead on one dog to find that there were two or more dogs at the call that I was not aware of when I got there. I've had to run back and forth dropping dogs off in the truck and going back for the next when I could have either tied one up or given the dog to a police officer, etc, while I went after the next one.

Now, I carry a back up slip lead in my jacket and another one in one of the pant pockets of the 5.11's. Trial and error; you just have to see what works for you. I do well with slip leads and they are light weight, so I carry extras and it has prevented me from having to go back and forth to the truck many a time.