ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > Welcome Wagon

Old 10-28-2010
Probationary Trainee

FutureACO_91 is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from New Zealand

Hi guys, i'm 19 years old and one day want to be either an animal control officer or SPCA investigator. If you have any advice you wish to share please do

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the board. Advice, avoid delusions of grandure. Have you ever heard of the prayer of serinity? It says God give me the courage to change what I can change, the serinity to accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Now, tell us all about New Zealand.
Old 10-29-2010
Field Operative

Dale4 is an unknown quantity at this point

GTO is so right. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2010
Probationary Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
Welcome to the board. Advice, avoid delusions of grandure. Have you ever heard of the prayer of serinity? It says God give me the courage to change what I can change, the serinity to accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Now, tell us all about New Zealand.
Thanks for the advice

Well i live in Auckland, which if you're not familiar with the city of Auckland has quite a large population (although New Zealand has a very small overall population). I know of Fort Worth, Texas because i usually watch the TV show COPS and have seen a few episodes recorded in Fort Worth before.
Old 10-30-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Funny you should mention COPS. Texas has one of the strongest economies in the US, and the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex has one of the strongest economies in Texas. To that end we have a big influx of people looking for work (in the 80s it was reported to be as high as 5000 people PER WEEK moving into the area). I was talking to one of those people one day who told me she was actually afraid to move here because it seemed COPS was in Fort Worth all the time, and she was afraid of the crime.
Old 10-30-2010
Probationary Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
Funny you should mention COPS. Texas has one of the strongest economies in the US, and the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex has one of the strongest economies in Texas. To that end we have a big influx of people looking for work (in the 80s it was reported to be as high as 5000 people PER WEEK moving into the area). I was talking to one of those people one day who told me she was actually afraid to move here because it seemed COPS was in Fort Worth all the time, and she was afraid of the crime.
That's interesting. Are you employed by a police/sheriffs department who have an ACO division? I know some agencies in the US have animal control divisions and some others don't.
Old 10-31-2010
Giga-posting ACO

As a rule, the majority of small municipalities have ACO as part of their police department. There are a few where the ACO is part of the public works department, so they patch pot holes or clear sewers between animal calls. There are some based out of their code enforcement departments and I know of one who was based out of their fire department. Larger cities tend to base ACO in their health department.

Some small or rural communities wont have a dedicated animal control service and they will contract with another entity. Scooterchic for instance works for the Maracopa County Arizona Sheriff’s department animal control, and they cover several municipalities within the county. Fort Worth is providing coverage for several smaller municipalities.

Some of the worst excuses for ACOs I have ever met were police officer assigned to animal control. They often treat animals as property with little respect for them being living things. Many of them are totally useless as cruelty investigators because if some yokel shoots a dog they just blow it off as the owner’s fault for not controlling their dog.

Texas now has mandatory training requirements for anybody holding the job title of animal control officer, however, police officers are exempt from the requirement. At first I was afraid the small communities that didn’t want to spend the money for the training would simply eliminate their ACO and have a police officer do it, but then I found out that the only repercussion for ignoring the law is that the shelter would lose it’s certification to quarantine rabies suspects, so I’m quite sure the law is widely ignored.
Old 10-31-2010
Probationary Trainee

Thanks alot GTO for the information. It makes things much clearer for me now
Old 11-07-2010
Probationary Trainee

Delly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureACO_91 View Post
Thanks alot GTO for the information. It makes things much clearer for me now
My wife also became addicted somewhat to the tv shows in England on Animal Planet. All I can say is good luck and if you should need information reguarding reality versus what you see on TV pls send me an email. She is currently living the dream she saw on tv and working as an Animal control officer. It has been rewarding however be very selective when it comes to making the decision of which department you will take the job offer from, it can make your future career or break it. Long hours and hard work you do not see on TV. Some danger depending on where you take the position. There is also the task of being able to get a position which is not an easy one in todays economy, we found more and more that there are a great deal of officers who took the job simmply for a job and have no background or education with animals whatsoever. Not only the police officers being made to do Animal Control as was mentioned above. Again far from what you have seen on TV. Good luck and even more luck with what I hope is a future of people such as yourself who wish to do this as a career and promote change within the industry.
Old 11-07-2010
Probationary Trainee

Delly is on a distinguished road

Also my wife is a division of the police dept, semi major city in Virginia. This was now recently changed to a seperate unit outside of the police dept. however they still work for the same dispatchers and assist the police dept daily.

Most departments accross the united states in Major cities are going to this system, Most within Virginia where we live not only send you to Animal control school but you are also required to attend the police acadamy on top of it.Dog fighting is a growing thing within the gang population in a lot of east coast cities and therefore it is becoming a trend to be both an officer as well as an ACO. Here they do carry weapons and in most localities wear Protective vests . They work emergency services and if there are animals present even sent in on first response to situations far from the glory of what we see on TV.

Also keep in mind that in order to be employed by many police departments in America you must be an American citizen, this limits your choices for employment. It does not end your dream but just keep in mind that it limits it.