ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 02-15-2008
Certified Posting ACO

Socrates
Post Law Requires Owner Notification When Pets Hit While Driving

Found it on the Daily Gamecock, the newspaper of the University of South Carolina; confirmed the story via the SC Senate GOP site here: http://scsenategop.com/knotts-says-a...matter-too.htm

Any thoughts or comments?

Original Newspaper Posting here:

Quote:
Editorial: Pet legislation crosses line of state's power

The world's going to the dogs. And cats and horses, too.

A bill introduced by Sen. Jake Knotts of Lexington forces motorists to stop and notify police if they hit a dog, cat or horse. The punishment for fleeing the scene: $500.

Although we all love Fido and Fluffy, the bill is a waste of taxpayer money and an affront to our intelligence.

Instead of tackling diminishing lottery-funded scholarships, Knotts is spending his time making us look like a nanny state not only for people but animals too.

A decent person will be compelled to stop for a fallen animal, but it is not the state's place to compel them.

Not only would stopping for dead animals congest the roadways, but it would stretch the already-tumultuous police department to the breaking point. Residents need to be assured that officers are available to help them in their time of need and not attending to crunched critters.

Pet owners should be in control of their furry friends at all times. It's not fair to blame passing motorists for a tragic accident. No one goes looking to mow down a few dogs or cats and if they do, they usually end up committed in a mental asylum.

Knotts should be ashamed for even thinking about proposing this bill. Now it is up to his colleagues to make sure it never sees the light of day.

With a state with this many problems, we should brake for the ones that matter most.

Last edited by Socrates; 02-15-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2008
Certified Posting ACO

Socrates
Question To get the discussion started...

Here's what a couple folks had to say about it in the Daily Gamecock:
Quote:
"A bill introduced by Sen. Jake Knotts of Lexington forces motorists to stop and notify police if they hit a dog, cat or horse...

Not only would stopping for dead animals congest the roadways, but it would stretch the already-tumultuous police department to the breaking point."

As you say in the first statement, you only have to stop if you personally hit a dog, cat, or horse. I don't see how that would congest the roadways. How often do you hit someone's pet? I doubt people even hit 2 pets in their lifetime so I don't see how 2 extra stops per lifetime would congest the roads.
And a different person's opinion here...

Quote:
I entirely agree. Requiring a notification of police is too much. While I agree that generally manners would require informing someone if it is possible to do so without added risk, requiring notification of law enforcement is absurd.

It is as much a waste of resources as trying to legislate against 1.4% of abortions, as others have suggested around here...
(Note: I omitted the authors' names and timestamps, other than that these quotes are included in their entirety).
Old 02-15-2008
Shelter Survivor

Bluey is on a distinguished road

I don't agree with the article. I personally think that people should be required to stop and render assistance to the animal and notify of the accident. How many times are dogs hit and left injured at the side of the road because the person who hit them could not care less. Good on the Senator say I.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

www.ahgs.com.au
Old 02-15-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

BHCZ1 is on a distinguished road

We have a municiple code that requires the person who hits an animal to stop and report it. Do they comlpy? not even. I would say 1 out of ten call in when they hit an animal. What is sad is that not many citizens call regarding a hit and run on an animal. No witnesses, no charges can be filed.

Leah
Old 02-15-2008
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

A friend of mine saw a deer that had been hit by a car and stopped to call the State troopers. While waiting for the troopers to arrive, another car came up behind hers, hit her car knocking her into the road. She wound up with two broken knees. (The car that hit hers took off.)

Though I agree that people should stop to assist an injured animal, if the safety of the person is at risk in attempting to save the animal, we are required to await for police, etc. to stop traffic. It does cause a lot of congestion. Each case should be evaluated as an individual. I often call the ACOs when I see an animal hit by a car. If the animal is dead, I tell them not to rush; if it is alive, as a vet. I try to get it off the road if possible while awaiting for the ACO or police. If I can't get it off the road safely, I have to stand near by in order to avoid getting injured myself. The rule among vets. and ACOs in our area is that you should not risk a human life for an animals. Having said that, many of us do risk our own necks to save an animal but are cautious about risking the public or staff assisting us.
Old 02-15-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

Surprisingly enough, the majority of the HBC calls I go on I will find the striking vehicle still on location. A couple of other times I've arrived to find someone else at the scene with the striking vehicle's owner's info, because they had to leave but wanted to take responsibility.
Now while Pa. doesn't have a law requiring drivers striking animals to stop per se, we do have a law for "Leaving the scene of an accident involving damage to unattended vehicle or property". In Pa. under the Dog Law (Title 3) a dog is considered property. In Pa. under the Vehicles Law (Title 75) there is no definition of "Property".

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 02-15-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

LiHammy is an unknown quantity at this point

In NJ it is law that If you hit a domestic animal you have to report it to police. you don't have to sit and wait for the police/ ACO/ road dept to show up, But you do have to report it. For the most part, acording to the lawyers, an animal is 500 dollars of personal property, if you hit it you must report it. Now do people report it when they do...... I work out in the sticks, so yes for dogs, no for cats, all other critters on the road no one even bothers to call it in unless it's right infront of their house.
Old 02-16-2008
Forum Friend

C/W ACO is on a distinguished road

Without getting into any detail I can see both sides of the argument. I do think it's a good idea, but a persons morals should be the deciding factor in contacting Animal Control/Police instead of a law. Personally, I think people should take responsibility for their actions, and make the call. It's not the drivers fault for the dog/cat running loose, so they should not fear any charges from the Police. As with the majority if not all 50 states; dogs are considered property. If a person hits someones property (dog/cat) and then leaves the scene it's a "Hit and Run" offense. At that point they would have more of a concern, but still they may not be at fault for the incident.

I feel fortunate that many people that hit dogs/cats/deers in my jurisdiction do call to report the incident.
Old 02-22-2008
Probationary Trainee

JMurph

I just had a case along these lines. A driver hit a dog and continued on without any concern for the animal. Both the owner, who was outside with the dog, and another driver stated that the driver never made any attempt to avoid the dog. One driver stopped to assist with the dog while another followed the offender to get his plate number.

Unfortunately, when I relayed the information to LE, they decided not to pursue it because the dog was in the road. I thought leaving the scene of an accident was against the law no matter what the circumstances.

The dog was later euthanized by a vet because of its injuries. The only good thing that came out of it was that the guy's truck had a lot of damage. He left parts of his bumper and headlight at the scene.

I don't think a law like the one proposed would be a burden to LE. They could have simply mailed a citation to the offender. I don't know about ya'll, but, around here, LE never goes out on any animal calls. They just call AC and wash their hands of the call.