Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > In the News

Old 01-14-2010
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf View Post
http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/81174092.html

WACO (January 11, 2010)—The trial of Jerry Mack Newland, who’s one of two men charged in the 2007 murder of Bellmead Animal Control Officer Bobby Evans, has been delayed because of difficulties locating a witness, a court administrator said Monday.
Newland was supposed to have gone on trial on Jan. 19 in 54th District Court in Waco.

A new date has not been set.
Newland’s codefendant, James Terry Ramirez, is scheduled to go on trial on April 12.
Authorities served arrest warrants on the two men in February 2008.
Newland was served at the Joe F. Gurney Unit in Tennessee Colony where he’s serving a prison sentence for possession of methamphetamine.
Ramirez was served at the McLennan County Jail, where he was held on unrelated charges.
According to a search warrant affidavit in late December, an unnamed informant told police that Ramirez and Newland killed Evans in June 2007.
The affidavit says the two men were looking for materials used to make methamphetamine near the Bellmead animal shelter as Evans returned with an animal he had picked up.
The affidavit said Ramirez and Newland followed Evans around the building and then shot him to death.
The affidavit quoted the informant as saying Ramirez and Newland "killed that man for no reason."
<------Not going to get on my soap-box here as I don't want to bring out the naysayers. But if our fellow ACO (Evans) had been armed that day is it possible that he would still be with us- don't respond, just think about it.

Last edited by dishdog01; 01-14-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spell error
Old 01-14-2010
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf View Post
Officials said at the time there was no sign of a struggle

Ramirez and Newland followed Evans to the building where one of them shot him in the back
Above quoted from the post that started this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdog01 View Post
<------Not going to get on my soap-box here as I don't want to bring out the naysayers. But if our fellow ACO (Evans) had been armed that day is it possible that he would still be with us- don't respond, just think about it.
Yea, maybe? Maybe not?

I'm not a "naysayer" but since I know this was directed at me DishDog I had to reply, and will do so without resorting to name calling. I'm just a "dog catcher" with no college degree, however, my approach to officer safety issues, like being armed, are more closely related to the scientific method as opposed to doing something because you "feel" you should. Besides the mayor or the city council are not going to respond to feelings. I feel I need a raise, I feel I need a new truck, or I feel I need firearms. Prove it to them and you might have a chance to get what you need.

I was a member of this board when ACO Evans was shot and killed. The thread you're posting to was started over a year before you were even a member here. I'm not saying I've been here longer then you so my opinion counts for more, but I have had years to think about ACO Evans and other ACO LODD, hence my research project. You know the one, ACO LODD in the past 100+ years. The results of that research are posted here on ACO FunStop for everyone (1) to see and use as they see fit, with or without giving credit to the source.

In fact, just last week I got an e-mail from one of NACA Directors thanking me greatly for my ACO LODD research information and documentation that I sent them for their memorial wall project. Included were printouts and pdf files of all the ACO LODD that I found during my research.

I also think its great some agencies are armed, but I don't think firearms would work for all agencies. For example, some agencies use the lasso to catch dogs, others the snappy snare, and some officers only have a leash that they had to buy themselves. If I've learned anything on ACO FunStop in the past 7+ years (including my time on the old board) it is that what works for one agency, won't always work for another.

Jeff

(1) Everyone who has access to the ACO only section of the board that is...
Old 01-15-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I didnít really know Bobby, but I did recognize him from conferences etc. Like Jeff said, there was never anything reported to indicate that he ever saw it coming. From the pictures of the shelter I have seen, there isnít really a good hiding place for them to have come out from, so they probably walked up to him, started a conversation, and then when he was unlocking the door they shot him. Being armed would have probably only supplied the bad guys with another gun after they shot him, but had he been armored it would have been a different story. A IIIA will stop any common gangsta gun, then you just drop like you were unprotected (with the deep bruises and cracked ribs that come with a hit on a vest that shouldnít be a problem). In most cases the bad guy will just fire a couple or three shots and then run off, just like they did in Bellmead,
Old 01-15-2010
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixbyFire View Post
Above quoted from the post that started this thread.

Yea, maybe? Maybe not?

I'm not a "naysayer" but since I know this was directed at me DishDog I had to reply, and will do so without resorting to name calling. I'm just a "dog catcher" with no college degree, however, my approach to officer safety issues, like being armed, are more closely related to the scientific method as opposed to doing something because you "feel" you should. Besides the mayor or the city council are not going to respond to feelings. I feel I need a raise, I feel I need a new truck, or I feel I need firearms. Prove it to them and you might have a chance to get what you need.

I was a member of this board when ACO Evans was shot and killed. The thread you're posting to was started over a year before you were even a member here. I'm not saying I've been here longer then you so my opinion counts for more, but I have had years to think about ACO Evans and other ACO LODD, hence my research project. You know the one, ACO LODD in the past 100+ years. The results of that research are posted here on ACO FunStop for everyone (1) to see and use as they see fit, with or without giving credit to the source.

In fact, just last week I got an e-mail from one of NACA Directors thanking me greatly for my ACO LODD research information and documentation that I sent them for their memorial wall project. Included were printouts and pdf files of all the ACO LODD that I found during my research.

I also think its great some agencies are armed, but I don't think firearms would work for all agencies. For example, some agencies use the lasso to catch dogs, others the snappy snare, and some officers only have a leash that they had to buy themselves. If I've learned anything on ACO FunStop in the past 7+ years (including my time on the old board) it is that what works for one agency, won't always work for another.

Jeff

(1) Everyone who has access to the ACO only section of the board that is...
Come on, it was a hypothetical question and you interpreted completely different. I had no specific individual in mind when I made the post so give it a rest. I think stats are great and I am sure you did a great job with the ones you presented to NACA. But you said it yourself " what works for one agency, won't always work for another" which I am in complete agreement with. The long and short of it is that I have seen the dynamics of this (my work ) area change (for the worse) and it is of great concern for me. I am concerned about my safety-- NOT STATS, NOT WHAT HE DOES OR SHE DOES OR WHAT THEY DO IN THAT STATE OR CITY OR COUNTY. The fact of the matter is ACO Evans is gone and we cant change that.
Old 03-28-2010
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation
Default Trial coming soon.

http://www.kxxv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12218177

BELLMEAD
Trials for men accused of killing animal control officer approaching

Video Gallery

Trials for men accused of killing animal control officer approaching

0:36

enlarge picture

by Lauren Keeffe
BELLMEAD - The trials for two men accused of gunning down an animal control officer are quickly approaching.
James Terry Ramirez and Jerry Mack Newland are charged in the murder of 47-year-old Bobby Evans. In June of 2007, Evans was fatally shot in the back several times at the Bellmead Animal Shelter.
Police say Ramirez and Newland were at the shelter looking for a tank containing anhydrous ammonia, a chemical used to make methamphetamine.
That's when police believe Evans walked up, and Newland and Ramirez allegedly pulled the trigger.
Newland will have his day in the 54th State District Court on Monday.
Ramirez is set to go to trial on April 12.
Old 04-05-2010
Field Operative

maddog is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Life for Bobby's Killer

http://www.kwtx.com/news/headlines/8...7.html?ref=237

Newland Sentenced To Life For Animal Control Officerís Death
Jurors deliberated for less than an hour Monday before sentencing Jerry Mack Newland to life in prison for the 2007 shooting death of Bellmead Animal Control Officer Bobby Evans.
Old 04-05-2010

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
http://www.kwtx.com/news/headlines/8...7.html?ref=237

Newland Sentenced To Life For Animal Control Officerís Death
Good for the judge
Old 04-05-2010
Almighty ACO

kgill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kgill

nice job

LOCK UP YOUR BEAGLE ---VICK'S AN EAGLE!!!

"In GOD we trust, all others we run through NCIC"
Old 04-05-2010
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee2630 View Post
Good for the judge

This was a jury deliberated verdict and sentence. The Prosecutor asked for and got a life sentence for this defendant. The "I had a bad childhood" defense didn't get any mileage from that panel. Thank you to all that served and GOT IT RIGHT!
Old 04-06-2010
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

That is just awesome news.