ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2010
Sideshow's Avatar
Sideshow Sideshow is offline
Provisional Posting ACO
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 41
Sideshow is on a distinguished road
Default "Jersey City woman says boyfriend beat her with a cat"

Quote:
A 49-year-old Hoboken man was arrested Tuesday after he beat his girlfriend with a cat....
http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.s...s_boyfrie.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-20-2010
DRNEGRIN6 DRNEGRIN6 is offline
Giga-posting ACO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Roselle Park, NJ
Posts: 1,200
DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post

That's why PD was going crazy Tuesday trying to reach me!!! I cover Hoboken on nights and weekends. Something went wrong with the cell phone call system and I was not notified; my partner was but his phone was off since he was off duty!!!

I'll have to find out what happened and let you know the details if I can get PD to talk to me about the case.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-20-2010
TollandAC TollandAC is offline
Certified Posting ACO
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 57
TollandAC is on a distinguished road
Default

Ok.. so the woman says she is beaten with a cat and the PD has no info on the cat? Hmmm... can we say, drop the ball?? Maybe the man killed or severly injured the cat and he could be arrested for cruelty as well? OR maybe there never was a cat and they can prove she is not mentally stable. Seems the cat was a victim that was left out of this investigation.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-20-2010
DRNEGRIN6 DRNEGRIN6 is offline
Giga-posting ACO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Roselle Park, NJ
Posts: 1,200
DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6
Default

I contacted one of the SPCA agents that's working up another case with me out of that jurisdiction. SPCA has the case; they picked up the PD report today and are looking for the victim to question.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-20-2010
Sideshow's Avatar
Sideshow Sideshow is offline
Provisional Posting ACO
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 41
Sideshow is on a distinguished road
Default

That's just nuts.


Why do I sense a Lifetime movie in the making?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-20-2010
fyrdawg207's Avatar
fyrdawg207 fyrdawg207 is offline
Shelter Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 497
fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
TollandAC :
Ok.. so the woman says she is beaten with a cat and the PD has no info on the cat? Hmmm... can we say, drop the ball??
No, I wouldn't say that without more evidence. A short article from a news site, isn't much to go on.

We had a triple homicide & arson where the family dog was also killed. The detectives who worked the case obtained a full confession on all crimes & I asked about pressing animal cruelty charges. I was told "NO" by the powers that be, and that if I charged the suspect they would simply dismiss the charge. Lets face it, you get more jail time for a crime against a person then animal cruelty. Plus if he is charged the sentences will most likely be made concurrent and not consecutive.

Stay Safe

Fyr

Last edited by fyrdawg207; 09-21-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-20-2010
DRNEGRIN6 DRNEGRIN6 is offline
Giga-posting ACO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Roselle Park, NJ
Posts: 1,200
DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrdawg207 View Post
Lets face it, you get more jail time for a crime against a person then animal cruelty. Plus if he is charged the sentences will most likely be made concurrent and not consecutive.

Unfortunately, in NJ at least, most SPCA agents don't really care about the animal when it comes to animal cruelty. They care about the fine money that they can get from charging a person with animal cruelty. The cut can be quite significant. I am not sure about the agent that is working this case since I don't know him well enough. There are some good agents, unfortunately, the ones that I have had to meet in my workings as a vet. and as an ACO have all been corrupt or they put the blinders on and don't see what the others are doing when I complain about violations. I've been lucky to have worked with prosecutors that have refused to pursue frivilous charges that the SPCA have charged on some defendants.

The agent working this case seems to at least work up the cases somewhat. (I will be testifying for him in another case when it goes to court.) The one that worked in the area where my practice is in just took the word of the ACOs and admitted in court that he did not work up the cases and based it solely on "the reports". He did not even bother to find out if the reports were real or to even listen to both sides of the story.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-21-2010
fyrdawg207's Avatar
fyrdawg207 fyrdawg207 is offline
Shelter Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 497
fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road
Default

Well that is definately different from here.

Here the humanesocieties have no authority unless it's granted to them by a muncicpality, and all fines go to the state regardless of who writes them or what they are written for (traffic, criminal or civil violations). The only exception to this is if you charge someone with violating a municiapl ordinance, the town gets the fine but they also have to hire someoen to prosecute the case.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-04-2010
AcoApril's Avatar
AcoApril AcoApril is offline
Probationary Trainee
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 16
AcoApril is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AcoApril
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
Unfortunately, in NJ at least, most SPCA agents don't really care about the animal when it comes to animal cruelty. They care about the fine money that they can get from charging a person with animal cruelty. The cut can be quite significant. I am not sure about the agent that is working this case since I don't know him well enough. There are some good agents, unfortunately, the ones that I have had to meet in my workings as a vet. and as an ACO have all been corrupt or they put the blinders on and don't see what the others are doing when I complain about violations. I've been lucky to have worked with prosecutors that have refused to pursue frivilous charges that the SPCA have charged on some defendants.

The agent working this case seems to at least work up the cases somewhat. (I will be testifying for him in another case when it goes to court.) The one that worked in the area where my practice is in just took the word of the ACOs and admitted in court that he did not work up the cases and based it solely on "the reports". He did not even bother to find out if the reports were real or to even listen to both sides of the story.
I agree with you on this one. Im located in Camden County , NJ and am a working ACO
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2010
Dale4's Avatar
Dale4 Dale4 is offline
Field Operative
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hopatcong, New Jersey
Posts: 205
Dale4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

In northern New Jersey here I had a retired officer shoot the neighbor's dog for at large a lot. He got tired of the dog, a nice Golden Mix, so one day last year he found the dog loose, went into his house, got his hand gun and shot the dog through his side. I was told by the chief of police not to investigate as it would interfere with their investigation. Nothing happened to the man except they took the gun. I gave it to my SPCA agents... Now he's being prosecuted by them. These guys are great up here.
__________________
Animals can't speak for themselves. We need to speak for them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2007 ACOFunStop.Com. All rights reserved.