ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Job Openings

Old 11-24-2007
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road
Default WE NEED YOU!

Hey all, this is Scooterchic and I get hassled at work all the time because I am a rookie. nothing new right? Wrong. They are not hassling me the typical way you hassle rooks ( hiding the snare, posting nasty pictures on my locker, stealing my lunch) but consistently asking when i am gonna quit? It's f-ing annoying but do you know why? The last 5 people (excluding me) have quit just about the time they where going to be out on their own. For some reason the county hires people who can't hack it.

Our latest rookie to quit experienced a nasty event. A few weeks ago an American bulldog attacked a 4 year old girl killing her. The Sheriffs Department was there and ended up killing the dog. He was shook up and started complaining about everything. Also started finding reasons or excuses for not handling dogs in the field of back at base. We all went out for a few frosty pints and he explained that he is afraid of the large dogs we see (we have a butt load of pit bulls in the Phoenix area). That was on a Friday night. Monday morning, he walked into the LT's office and quit.

I am tired of being hassled about when my time is going to come. I want to be hassled and hazed like a real rookie should be..."Where's my damn snare?" Anybody moving to the Phoenix area and wants to work in animal control PLEASE apply. And for crying out load, don't quit!

http://www.maricopa.gov/human_resources/jobs_index.asp

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 11-24-2007
Shelter Survivor

Bluey is on a distinguished road

Hang in there. It will get better. If the last 5 officers have resigned I can see why the rest are a bit edgy. Tell them where you stand. That way the will see you are in for the long run. Once they know that and they get over their fear of losing another rookie they will warm to you.

The best I had was a guy who lasted 2 days. But we are smart. As part of our recruitment program if we get down to 2 or 3 individuals we ask them all to spend a couple of days in the field with the officers. This guy did and didn't like what he saw and showed us a clean pair of heels. He had some good things going for him too but had never worked in the industry before.

What I really hate is when you get a good rookie and start training them and they take on a job elsewhere because the pay is better. Really annoys me and they will never get another job with us again. This has happened to me twice in the last couple of years. Down right rude in my book.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

www.ahgs.com.au
Old 11-24-2007
Shelter Survivor

dbaty is on a distinguished road

Hang in there and just let them know just how tough you really are. then the *ricks will leave you alone and respect you.

---------------------------------------------------

Progress stops at the Cemetary.
Old 11-25-2007
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree with the above posts. Hang in there and tell them that you are not going anywhere. Then show them you are not going anywhere I think they are just afraid they will "let you into the family" sorta speak and then you will leave its easier to forget someone you barely knew than to forget someone you were freinds with. So just hang in there and stand your ground.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain
Old 11-25-2007
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

[quote=Bluey;24480]they take on a job elsewhere because the pay is better.[quote]

See this is where I get judgmental on people and who view the profession differently then myself.

I work for a Humane Society and make little pay, but I LOVE the shelter. I love how we don't euth for cage space, we work with fosters, work with wildlife rehabbers, all of our animals get second lease on life.

Or, I could go and work for a Municipal Animal Shelter and make like $25 an hour. Where they euth up to 8o animals a day. It's like as soon as the stray period is up, it's like bam bam bam. I found that depressing and disgusting. I just don't know how anyone can know that 90% of animals (and I am talking healthy) you pick up, will be put down.

What I am saying is I would rather make less and love what I do and that we go that extra mile, then make more money.

I mean after all we are all in the bus, to save animals and give them the life they never knew..

One of my friends from a nieghbouring SPCA, was telling me they just hired someone from the city. She said she gets annoyed because his answer to everything is euth everything. How sad. This guy is supposed to be in this field to help rescue, hopefully give a animal a better life. Makes me wonder why he is in this field when all he wants to do it euth.

I am not saying that MAS's don't love animals and want to give them a second chance. I am sure you's all LOVE the AC profession. I just don't understand how you can do this profession and mainly euth everything.

I know I will probably get alot of flack from MAS's ACO's. But either I've had bad experiences with MAS here or it just is. This blerp is just my own opinion.

I would never work for a MAS unless they had a contract with the SPCA and brought animals there.

Deep down sometimes money isn't everything, It's how you feel at the end of the shift and what wakes you in the morning.
Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.

Last edited by Sunny; 11-25-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-25-2007
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

BHCZ1 is on a distinguished road

Sunny I understand what you are saying I really do, But I work for a City shelter and I have to say, Your reason,,that is why I am here. I love animals with all my heart and soul, I have been at this for over twelve years and I can say I have seen a change.

If we change the way society thinks about how they care for the pets in thier home, Maybe just maybe we will see a total change. I always tell my staff and I am sure you have read me state as well, we are in a war, a war to educate unresponsable pet owners, those that wont educate than the judicial system needs to come in to play and do what is right for the animals.

Sunny I am one of the ones who puts down to make room and it sucks. But I would rather have a caring loving person be with these little ones to the end. It has been my purpose in my profession to make new programs and offer classes of obediance, correction the reason to alter.

I teach court classes to those who have been cited and have them in my shelter doing community service. This has proven to be very insightfull. Most of the offenders never saw us as humans. We are not robots who catch and kill. We are doing a job not may want to do and really the pay is not all that great. I get burnt out, get yelled at all the time by citizens who either hate that we are doing our job or by those that think we do not do enough.

I feel your passion and believe me there are people in this field that share your passion. We recently started a program with the local humane society, the county shelter and local refuge groups for animals, that are working together to stop the maddness we see each day. In the past our groups just didnt get along they yelled at us for killing and we would get angry at them for not understanding our doors are always open to strays we can not turn them away And we only have so many runs.

I hated feeling ashamed for where i worked. Yet I had a passion to stick it out and hope that one day I would see a change. Well the day is here in our county the respect runs both ways. It has taken many hours of talking and sharing and I am so proud of our groups to unite and finally work together instead of tearing eachother down.

Sunny, I envy you and you are so smart and inteligent. I love reading your post. Just remember those of us who do the dirty dead dont love it. Its like when we have volunteers who would come in and say what happened to so, and so, they would tisk when they found out and we would than feel guilty It would make our day hard. I know have volunteers who work with us they understand the problem and place the blame where it needs to go, the dog owners who do not train and alter. The citizens who feed the ferrel cats and let them multiply. How do I feel at the end of the day Proud that I made it through and saved a few lifes in the meantime. When I wake I tell myself its time to go and fight the fight.
No flack Sunny I respect you and I thank you for the chance to let others know that we do have a lot to give to our furry friends. Just remember the Euth is the smallest part of my job the other 90 percent is saving them and finding them new homes, regulating rabies vaccinations getting them out of bad situations, enforcing the state and city ordinaces. Life should be quality life they deserve it, not just exsistence.

Leah
Old 11-25-2007

BHCZ1 is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to also say about fostering, we have done this for years. I am currently fostering a momma dog and her five puppies at my home. Many other citizens and staff have fostered as well. I am sure we are not the only MAS that does this.
At least I know there are more like us in Arizona.

Leah
Old 11-26-2007

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did a term paper on this subject. My favorite quote was from Daphna Nachminovitch, director of the domestic animal department at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. (PETA! Can you believe it?!) She said "The problem of course is that 8 million animals are being discarded," Nachminovitch said. "If it were as easy as simply stopping euthanasia, then that would have been done a long time ago." Mind you, that's 8 million A YEAR!!
Old 11-26-2007
Shelter Survivor

Bluey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzk10 View Post
I just did a term paper on this subject. My favorite quote was from Daphna Nachminovitch, director of the domestic animal department at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. (PETA! Can you believe it?!) She said "The problem of course is that 8 million animals are being discarded," Nachminovitch said. "If it were as easy as simply stopping euthanasia, then that would have been done a long time ago." Mind you, that's 8 million A YEAR!!
Like I have always said we need to license the owner not the dog. That way we ensure that the right people are gaining ownership of a dog. Stops impulse buying which is a huge problem.

Owning a dog is a serious responsibility and in my view you need to prove that you have the ability and the financial resources to do so. If we don't do this these people just end up abandoning their dogs or not looking after them responsibly. Either way we end up having to deal with it. The end result is the dog ends up paying with its life due to irresponsible ownership.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

www.ahgs.com.au
Old 11-27-2007
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

Quote:
I am tired of being hassled about when my time is going to come. I want to be hassled and hazed like a real rookie should be..."Where's my damn snare?" Anybody moving to the Phoenix area and wants to work in animal control PLEASE apply. And for crying out load, don't quit!
Scoots, I know how you feel. I took some heavy duty hazing when I first started ( I'm with a PD and they can be very cruel ) anyhow; the one thing you can't let them know is that it bothers you. As soon as they find something that gets to you they will pour it on. Gotta be like the duck and let it roll off your back.
Hang in there kid, soon they'll get bored with it or move on to the next newbie!

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!