ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > Chow Time

Old 05-06-2009
Field Operative

ACO in Greenville,TX is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I've got one for you.

Last night I decided to saute some shrimp in butter, garlic, olive oil and some italian seasoning (parsley, marjoram, etc..). It came out great but I wanted to use the "sauce" over some angel hair pasta.

It wasn't bad, but it really wasn't saucy enough or, according to my wife, flavorful enough, she put somekind of spaghetti sauce on hers. (I was devistated, j/k)

Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe adding some cream for thickness, but wasn't sure.
Old 05-07-2009
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO in Greenville,TX View Post
Ok, I've got one for you.

Last night I decided to saute some shrimp in butter, garlic, olive oil and some italian seasoning (parsley, marjoram, etc..). It came out great but I wanted to use the "sauce" over some angel hair pasta.

It wasn't bad, but it really wasn't saucy enough or, according to my wife, flavorful enough, she put somekind of spaghetti sauce on hers. (I was devistated, j/k)

Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe adding some cream for thickness, but wasn't sure.
Add little lemon and white wine and you've got shrimp scampi, if you were to add cream leave out the lemon.

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 05-08-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

If you are going to use cream omit the olive oil. Add your butter to the pan. Once hot add a wee bit of garlic and cook a wee bit. DO NOT brown. Add your cream to the pan with your dry ingredients (parsley, marjoram whatever). If you want 4 ozs of sauce be sure to start out with 8 oz of cream.

When the cream starts to boil add your shrimp. The cream should thicken up enough to coat the back of the spoon. Keep a close eye on it, so it doesn't burn. The shrimp will cook fully during the reducing of the cream. Then season it with salt and pepper add your pasta and enjoy! For a wee bit of a richer dish whisk a bit of whole butter (room temp, not melted) into the sauce just before you add the pasta.

If you are going to use herbs and such it is better to use fresh for dishes like this. The dry herbs are great for dishes that take a long time to cook. It takes a while for the flavor to come out of the seasoning. Fresh have a great flavor but only for quick dishes. If you add them to a stew you will cook out all the flavor and wasted your fresh herbs.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 05-08-2009
Field Operative

ACO in Greenville,TX is an unknown quantity at this point

That's really good to know about the herbs. I have fresh rosemary (hopefully it'll get bigger), sage, thyme and I think the marjoram is still alive. We're hoping the basil will come back and we are growing garlic too.

I have fresh dill too, I can't wait until it's mature enough to cook over some new potatoes. I steam them then coat them in butter and dill.
Old 05-09-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road
Default How about some dinner music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3M7IR6jkpc
Old 05-10-2009
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
If you are going to use cream omit the olive oil. Add your butter to the pan. Once hot add a wee bit of garlic and cook a wee bit. DO NOT brown. Add your cream to the pan with your dry ingredients (parsley, marjoram whatever). If you want 4 ozs of sauce be sure to start out with 8 oz of cream.

When the cream starts to boil add your shrimp. The cream should thicken up enough to coat the back of the spoon. Keep a close eye on it, so it doesn't burn. The shrimp will cook fully during the reducing of the cream. Then season it with salt and pepper add your pasta and enjoy! For a wee bit of a richer dish whisk a bit of whole butter (room temp, not melted) into the sauce just before you add the pasta.

If you are going to use herbs and such it is better to use fresh for dishes like this. The dry herbs are great for dishes that take a long time to cook. It takes a while for the flavor to come out of the seasoning. Fresh have a great flavor but only for quick dishes. If you add them to a stew you will cook out all the flavor and wasted your fresh herbs.

Cheers, Scooterchic
It is also a good thing to add the fresh herbs right before you serve it too, right?
Old 05-10-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoACOSupervisor View Post
It is also a good thing to add the fresh herbs right before you serve it too, right?

Yep but depends on the herb. Delicate herbs like basil and chives should be added at the last moment. Hardier herbs like Rosemary you can cook for a while.

Cheers, Scooterchic