ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 08-18-2010
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

I recently had a call by PD regarding a "feral" cat brought to their station that had been hit by a car. The cat was near death. I rushed out of my vet. office, no time to switch into ACO uniform. The call had been relayed by my partner and I asked her if PD was aware that I might come in dressed as a vet., not as the ACO. She said yes.

I was lead back to the loading dock (area with the spare animal cages in case animals are brought to the station) to find a calm, stable cat with either a broken leg or hip. I reached into the cage to place the cat in my carrier to transport to my hospital. The PO backed up and asked me to be careful since the cat might hurt me, being that it was feral. The cat let me pick her up and put her in the carrier.

The cat let me perform a quick examination and treat her at my office without much of a fuss. (Yes, she was conscious!) I decided to check the feral for a microchip. Guess what? The feral had an owner. I left a message for the owner that the cat was at my office; I called PD back and let them know the name of the owner of the feral cat.

Last edited by DRNEGRIN6; 08-18-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2010
Kennel Commander

ErinKelleher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ErinKelleher Send a message via Yahoo to ErinKelleher

I had a call from a lady who gets off at the same off-ramp every day, and her and her daughter for over a week were seeing this poor dead bird stuck in the chain link fence of a house on the corner. They felt just awful about the poor thing, and would really appreciate it if we could come pick up the remains...after arriving and searching in the dark for this dead bird stuck in the middle of a chain link fence I realized what they were referring to...about the same time the new homeowners came out to see what was going on. They had been doing yard work to their new home and just cut down a bunch of ivy and tree branches...and yup! part of a branch had grown around the chain link, and couldn't be removed...all be darned if the thing didn't actually look like a dead bird in a fence though. I drove by in the next morning, and had to take a picture of it

AND

I had an older lady who was very concerned with how a bird was being treated...this poo owl was chained by a very short chain to a pole in her neighbor's backyard, and had no food or water....yes...owl...let me know if you have figured this out by now...well the lady was upset because I showed up at her house, and she wanted to remain anonymous...except she only gave us her address...and not the address she was complaining about...it took quite a bit to hold my laughter is as I tried to explain to her that the owl was PLASTIC and used to deter other birds of the yard...it had been a windy day and, to her credit, WAS moving around a bit...hehe
Old 08-18-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

How many of you all had leash law calls on a statue in the suspects yard... yeah...

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 08-18-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
How many of you all had leash law calls on a statue in the suspects yard... yeah...

Cheers, Scooterchic
I haven't had that, but I did stop once on a couple of dogs beside a house that turned out to be those little deer made out of twigs.
Old 08-18-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Nice! Several people, especially in Mesa and Sun City, have little statues of Mules. In some of the Hispanic neighborhoods they have statues of dogs. Rotties are quite popular. I saw one house where they had a statue of a Husky but it was was leashed

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 08-18-2010
Field Operative

ACO in Greenville,TX is an unknown quantity at this point

I stopped one time and did a double take on a pig statue. Darn thing looked real.

Got a call to a local doctors office stating that someon had broken into the office with a dog. I showed up before the police got there and started looking at the muddy tracks. There was an old stair case behind a wall that had a small door maybe three feet tall that had been opened and there was an old safe there, so they assumed the perp had opened the door looking for the safe, which was empty. One of the offices was ransacked and a medicine cabinet was opened and stuff flung everywhere. I got one good look at the tracks and told them their bandit was most likely wearing a black mask over his eyes, about a foot and a half tall and covered in fur.

A raccoon had entered the attic, come down the stair case and knocked the door open and then went to town in the offices looking for something to eat.
Old 08-18-2010
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post

Cheers, Scooterchic
I got a call about two black great danes in a front yard. It was a matched pair of statues. Turns out another Public Works employee called it in just to mess with me...
Old 08-18-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I had a police officer call in raod kill that turned out to be a stuffed animal. In fact, a couple of weeks ago I stopped on a road kill dog that turned out to be the Tazmanian Devil.
Old 08-19-2010
Field Operative

Tricia is on a distinguished road

One of my favorite calls that was not what I expected it to be, was a call of a skunk or small raccoon in this lady's garage...I get there, and she has the garage door open and inside are dozens and dozens of cardboard boxes in all shapes and sizes.

I am greeted by the caller, who is in a panic. She operates a mail-order business out of her home and these boxes are full of products waiting to be shipped out!

Terrific, I think with a sigh....I really need to try to find this animal - whatever it is. I make sure that she understands that if it is a skunk, it will probably spray and ruin all the products - as well as anything else in her garage. She doesn't care (of course!)

After having her describe the animal again, it doesn't sound like a skunk to me after all, so I go forward with the search. After a few minutes, a tiny head pops out of one of the boxes. This masked man isn't a skunk or a raccoon, but a ferret!!
Old 08-19-2010
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

I had a guy from somewhere in South America, moved to town and had been in a newly built house a week or two. He said he had a fox living in his bathroom wall. His builder had cut a hole in the sheetrock in an attempt to get it out. The resident said he opened the bathroom door this particular Saturday and saw the fox, it ran back into the wall and he closed the door and called us. I asked him to describe the fox. He said it was black with a white stripe down its back. Gee, I'm glad I asked before going any further! Set a live trap; captured and removed skunk without incident. My only lingering question is: do they not have skunks in South America? Or does their name for it not translate well?