ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 08-17-2010
Probationary Trainee

Relentless is on a distinguished road
Default Never a dull day

So, all ACOs have been on calls where we've gone in expecting one thing (probably because of the dispatch details), but the situation was much much different than expected, I.E. the "vicious dog chasing people" that wound up being the 2 month old puppy playing with kids, or the "injured dog, possibly hit by car" that was actually a dog catching some z's. But, then theres the calls with completely unexpected outcomes, that are so hilarious they make you forget about the bad day you were having. For example:

I was called to assist an elderly man with an Opossum in his backyard. When I arrived the man met me at the door with his cane and said that there was an Opossum just outside his back window that would look at him and show his teeth whenever the man looked out the window. So, I grabbed a cage and my cat tongs and walked around the mans house with him in toe. I peered around the corner of the house and said "wheres the animal"?. The man pointed to the "possum" and I couldn't help but bust into laughter. I used my cat tongs to pick up the clump of weave (fake hair) that had apparently fell out of someones head and blown into his yard and placed it in my carrier, because I knew I had to show my coworkers my catch for them to believe it. The man appologized, but I told him it wasn't necessary because he made my day.

Another time I was called for another elderly man (I'm seeing a pattern) that said he had a bird in his attic that was following him from room to room chirping. I was just about to climb into his attic (via a coffee table because he had no ladder) when I heard the chirp and he said "there he is!". I jumped down from the table and picked up the fire alarm the man had on top of a box on the floor and told him to replace the battery.

And then there was the time I went to a call that a lady who was deathly afraid of cats (I'll never understand that fear) said a cat was in her tree and hadn't moved for hours. I arrived and she pointed the tree out to me. I looked all around and when I saw it I nearly died. Evidently the lady was removing the ivy from the tree trunk, and she had uncovered a ceramic cat statue that was nailed to the tree probably decades ago. I called to her to come see the cat for herself, and when she came around the tree she started screaming hysterically, which made me laugh even more. I calmed her down and showed her it was a fake cat by poking it. The really funny part is it didn't even look like a real cat-it looked like some kind of hello kitty Japanese anime cat, with huge eyes. But her cat-phobia ran deep, because she still didn't want to see the thing even after I showed her it wasn't real.

So, I know there's other stories like these, lets hear 'em!
Old 08-17-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

We had a very large cat (mountain lion, cougar etc) that came through town a few years ago. The first sighting was by a cop, who said they were bigger than her 100+ pound dogs, and it outran her squad car. A few days later it literally “consumed” a 60 lb shepherd mix.

After word got out, we started getting calls on EVERY yellow DSH in town. We had people calling in “thinking” they say it in the tree in their front yard. Hello, it’s a 150 lb cat, so it is as big as if not bigger than many adult humans, you wouldn’t “think: you saw it in a tree.

One call really stands out. I had this lil’ ol’ lady call in saying the cat was in her back yard, so I loaded up the shotgun and went to see. She took me through the house to look out the kitchen window, and there was a large storage tank in the yard, and on top of it was a pump that was about a foot tall, and that was her “cat”. That tank and pump had been in her back yard for nearly 50 years, and she had never noticed it before.
Old 08-17-2010
Probationary Trainee

Nice one! That story actually reminded me of another one-

I was called to an older lady's house in reference to a cat that was trapped, hanging upside down on a fence. I walked all around her fenceline and saw nothing. I came back and told her and she pointed the "cat" out to me from he kitchen window. Her cat was a shadow being cast on the fence by a hummingbird feeder. I can understand the fire alarm/bird, and MAYBE the hair weave/opossum, but I have no idea how she confused a shadow for a cat hanging upside down. I'm just glad I was able to respond quickly, because if the sun had shifted we might've never got to the bottom of that one!
Old 08-17-2010
Giga-posting ACO

One person was getting their backyard cleared out, and while moving the massive piles of debris the crew disturbed an opossum. The opossum ran across the street from where his home used to be, and the numbskull neighbor shot it because it was out in the daylight.
Old 08-17-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

I was dispatched to an apartment complex in Tempe for 4 dogs confined in an apartment. All different sizes, breeds and colors. I as parked and was walking to the unit the manager who was walking the complex, sees me going to the apartment with 4 dogs confined, different sizes, breeds and colors...

She waves me down and asked if I was headed to unit A123 to speak to the resident. I reply yes and she smiles and shakes her head. She states "Well, she calls the police and the fire department. Why not Animal Control." I was starting to get really concerned about what I was getting into. The manager insisted on going with me so we walked together to the apartment.

I knock on the door and a small older women answers the door praising me for showing up. She was saying she cannot hold on these dogs anymore and is afraid of em. They're going to attack her. I asked where they came from, where she found them. She replied "I don't know, I came home from the store and they were there!" I was taken aback because she is inside a 2nd story apartment locked up so tight SWAT could not get in. The manager is shaking her head and watching the action while the complainant shows me where the dogs are located at.

We walk into her bedroom and she points at the closet where I, with my snare poke what she thought was 4 dogs, different sizes, breeds and colors.

After I poked her luggage for about 5 minutes she finally believed me they were not dogs and she was safe. I was ready to impound if needed.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 08-17-2010
Probationary Trainee

You should really be careful, Scooter. I've heard that overnight bags can be really aggressive!
Old 08-17-2010
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
You should really be careful, Scooter. I've heard that overnight bags can be really aggressive!
And tough, too! Remember the Samsonite that took on the gorilla? You're probably too young to remember that commercial, Scooter...
Old 08-17-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Here you go from 1970, I remember it well. That was 2 years after I fell in love with the Corvette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZeIoLz8FE
Old 08-17-2010
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

I had one the other night that the caller told me there was a small cat HBC that had its "head smushed in" and one of its legs was dangling. I asked her if the animal was till alive and she said oh ya of course it is. I went out and picked up a 4 or 5 month old kitten with a broken toe and some road rash in its nose. She is in the shelter now waiting to be adopted.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain
Old 08-17-2010
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

I had a call once from PD to investigate a "burned, headless dachshund lying in the street." I asked, "Did you say 'burned, headless dachshund?'" They said yes. "Uh...okay...can you have a REAL cop meet me there, so they can gather evidence and maybe prosecute this heinous crime?"

The dog was made of styrofoam...