ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 03-09-2006
Certified Posting ACO

Doglaw
Send a message via Yahoo to Doglaw

Our SOP is to pick up any bats that have been inside a residence and have them tested; also for any sick bats, of course. I had a lady last year that called about a sick bat she had found outside. I got to her house and asked about it, she told me it was inside. Okay, I thought, roosting somewhere. She had the flippin' thing on a heating pad and said she had been trying to feed it with an eyedropper! While I was politely reading her the riot act she began stroking his little tummy! Said she'd been trying to revive him for 3 days and she was getting worried! I gve up trying to reason with this idiot and had my supervisor call her and beg her to seek immediate medical care. I doubt she ever did, though; who knows, maybe the gene pool is a bit shallower now! Whaddya gonna do.......
Old 03-09-2006
Shelter Survivor

RichmondACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to RichmondACO

CPR for bats, that's a new one, lmao

\"The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.\"
Old 03-10-2006
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

We had a family here buy a TV from Best Buy. They took it home and sat the box in the living room. At about 9pm about 24 bats took flight out of the the holes cut in the box to carry it. The wife screamed, the husband started swinging the broom an hour later he had killed all of them. The next day they called, of all places, Vector Control, ya know the guys that spray mosquitos.. So a week goes by before I'm notified and by then there were only two decomposing bats left to send for testing. Results were inconclusive. The whole family of five had to go for rabies shots.

Lesson learned... always open boxes outside.
Old 03-12-2006
Shelter Survivor

chumli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie
We had a family here buy a TV from Best Buy. They took it home and sat the box in the living room. At about 9pm about 24 bats took flight out of the the holes cut in the box to carry it. The wife screamed, the husband started swinging the broom an hour later he had killed all of them. The next day they called, of all places, Vector Control, ya know the guys that spray mosquitos.. So a week goes by before I'm notified and by then there were only two decomposing bats left to send for testing. Results were inconclusive. The whole family of five had to go for rabies shots.

Lesson learned... always open boxes outside.
This is an extremely serious matter, but dammit, I haven't been feeling well and I needed a laugh, I guess. This whole scenario brought to mind an episode of Malcolm in the Middle where they bought this big old wardrobe cabinet and brought it home. When they looked inside, Hal made a comment about "Why would someone hang all those tiny black bow ties in there?" and then dozens of bats took off. I thought that was pretty hysterical, and this is like a real life rendering of the same sort of occurrence.

Truth is stranger than fiction, for sure
Old 03-14-2006
Shelter Survivor

UNDRTKR is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to UNDRTKR

LMAO!!!!!!! I want to see that episode....
Old 03-15-2006
Forum Friend

five_dash_seven is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to five_dash_seven

we had an officer exposed to a rabid raccoon on sunday. the scariest part is neither the hospital nor the health dept had a protocol to follow for post exposure treatment for a victim thats had pre-exposure treatment... very scary...
Old 03-15-2006
Certified Posting ACO

AC1OH

I was exposed to a rabid bat once. No one had a protocol and workers comp wouldn't pay for it. It's a preventative treatment . The local hospitals supply had expired. I had to wait 3 days for a new supply and pay for it myself . The City did reimburse me but what a pain . It's a good idea to know ahead of time what will happen to you if you are exposed to rabies. Something to think about.
Old 02-23-2007
Forum Friend

dug e
Default Where did it go?

Any info on the website and video? Anyone have this saved? I am trying to get it to show police officers in FTO.

Thanks,
Doug
Gen 1:26-Then God said, \"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.\"
Old 02-23-2007
Forum Friend

dug e
Default Never mind

Found it.
Gen 1:26-Then God said, \"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.\"
Old 02-23-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

I am bummed ... I cannot find the video. I just get a site with rabies search hits. If I go to rabies.com, I get advertisement (much of it very nice) from Pasteur Inc. Can anyone guide me through the links?

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)