ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 10-13-2005
Probationary Trainee

wpd12
Default Rabies Video

Does anyone know of video footage of a male, who is dieing from rabies. I believe that there is also footage of a groupe of people who were bitten by a pack of dogs. All of the footage is black and white. I'm looking to download this for a class that I'm teaching. Thanks Jim
Old 10-13-2005
Shelter Survivor

RichmondACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to RichmondACO

I know I watched the video. Old black and white footage from India, I think. Had the guy strapped into bed. The Excorsist has nothing on that flick. Think I watched it in a basic school. Will look for ya.

\"The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.\"
Old 10-13-2005
Certified Posting ACO

AC1OH

http://www.rabiesfreeworld.org/advanced_module.htm

This site has some color video of Children. Hard to watch but maybe helpful. They also have a slide show. Hope it helps.
Old 10-13-2005
Shelter Survivor

RichmondACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to RichmondACO

Very disturbing.

\"The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.\"
Old 10-17-2005
Shelter Survivor

UNDRTKR is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to UNDRTKR

Excuse me while I just pick my jaw up off the desk here...

WOW!!!!! That is very sad! And scary!!!! The way that little kid just FREAKS everytime that water comes close!!! Wow... I always wondered what hydrophobia was when I was a little kid watching Old Yeller... Then I got this job, haha
Take Care
Old 10-18-2005
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo
Default Oh my Gosh

I love that web-site. Very educational!! That really puts an emphasis on the work that we do. I may issue a few more citations for non vaccinated
animals in the next few days. We have had a family pet test positive for rabies in our city.

A veterinarian in another city, submitted the animal for testing after suspecting rabies. We were subsequently notified by the Department of Health that we had a confirmed rabies case in our city. It is scary to think that all that happened without Animal Control being contacted.

Rabies is more prevailant than we realize! Not to say that it is prevailant, just moreso than we realize. The level of compliance must be raised everywhere.
Old 10-18-2005
Certified Posting ACO

grasshopper
Send a message via Yahoo to grasshopper

That was crazy, I had to stop eating, it made me sick.
About a year or so ago we had a house cat kill a bat that had rabies.The people did not report it for a couple of days. Then there kitty went on a rampage and bit 9 people.
Old 10-26-2005
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

I had two house cats get exposed to a bat that we found in the kids' rooms and it tested positive for rabies. The cats were supposedly vaccinated at some point, but the vaccination history could not be proved....it was old enough that the vet no longer had records. So, I treated the cats as if they had never been vaccinated. CDC recommends euth and testing or else a 180 day quarantine. I did the 180 day quarantine. First month boarded in a vet clinic. Next 5 months at home with me stopping by once a week to confirm the cats were alive and apparently healthy. What a nightmare! The resident was belligerent and uncooperative. They said that they would throw any more bats in the trash and not test them....on recommendation from their doctor who thought I was being ridiculous. At one point they became very uncooperative so I cited them for failing to follow an order of the health commissioner. That was a fun court battle (I won!).
At that point, I decided I would never ever work with a resident again. No vaccination history, animal will be euth'd. Period. End of story.

And with all the emphasis on dangerous dogs and such, I'm to the point where I'm not sure education is always the best. I'm thinking I should cite on first offense at the time of the bite whether the victim wants the owner cited or not. As in citing for dangerous animal and also citing for lack of vaccination if that's a problem.

Some things have gotten more and more complicated as being an ACO evolves, eh?

MB
Old 10-27-2005
Forum Friend

Michelle B.

Interesting how RQs are enforced differently in different states. Texas requires only a 90-day RQ for never-vaccinated or vaccination expired animals that have been exposed by a rabid animal (currently vaccinated animals get a 45-day quarantine).

Because of all the bats here (they're everywhere!) we have "victim" animals in RQ pretty much all the time. Just last week I issued RQ orders on 17 animals (5 horses, 4 dogs, and 8 cats) because of one rabid bat found in a stable. Three of the cats needed a 90-day RQ which includes hypervaccination (3 RVs: immediately, during the 3rd week, and during the 8th week); the rest of the animals were currently vaccinated so they get a 45-day RQ and a single RV booster. These RQs are always done at the owners' homes, unless the owner chooses to pay board bills at a vet clinic instead.

Can't say that I've had any trouble with uncooperative owners when their pets are the victims. They're more likely to be difficult if their pet was the violator.

Michelle B.
Old 03-09-2006
Probationary Trainee

Snitchythedog

That was pretty nasty but very interesting from a work related view. Does anyone know anything about the person that had rabies and was induced into a coma and is supposed to have survived?