ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 08-05-2007
Certified Posting ACO

ACO1203IOW is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO1203IOW

I personally think that the worst tempermant animal that i have a great fear of is the Rott. A fellow Officer was Mauled by one in custody during a tempermant test. He almost lost his life. The rott was on a leash and show none of the typical signs(warning) not a single one. Chow are very sweet dog's if you learn to understand them. Since being an ACO i have come in contact with 6 of those 6. 1 was a surrender because neighborhood children wouldnt leave him alone and the owner felt that one day he may attack(he was very protective) 4 were strays that the owner's came and claimed. the last one was a bite quarentine. stayed with us for almost 15 days. first 5 days he was scared of us. the next 5 he warmed up. Once realized on day 10. We took him into the play yard and he was just like a big fluffy pups. wanting belly rubs and kisses. By day 15 when the owner arrived he was soooooo happy and ready to go home. reason he bite.. stranger walked through his yard in the middle of the night.(why the attack he was protection his property)

But a motto at the shelter here is this. Doesnt matter the breed. Doesnt matter the size. If they have teeth they can bite and when placed on a Ketchpole Watchout of the alligator death roll as they are mostly gonna get scared.
Old 08-06-2007
Field Operative

4myella is an unknown quantity at this point

The only difference between large breed and small breeds is that a large breed can kill you. I have met great chow chows and neuro-psycho poodles. All dogs are at the mercy of humans, and we have all seen how merciful your average human is.
Old 08-07-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
All dogs are at the mercy of humans, and we have all seen how merciful your average human is.
So sad and SO true ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 08-07-2007
Probationary Trainee

Corky is on a distinguished road

I remember a bite I worked years ago that put 40 sutures in the owner's childs face. twenty from eye to cheekbone and twenty across the cheekbone. The mother was sobbing so badly from the hospital she could hardly speak to me. I responded to the home to impound him,a 10 year old,in tact male. The grandmother picked him up from over his back,grabbing his chest area, and he tried to bite her the entire time. He was snapping at the air, trying to bite her.That was a bad one.I turned my back on two of them in there yard and one bit me behind the knee. Thank God they are not popular!.........Corky
Old 08-17-2007
Certified Posting ACO

GJ Stuart is an unknown quantity at this point

Chows are still JUST dogs....I've had good and bad ones. I believe it's all in how they are raised. There may be some specific traits to certain dogs...But they all follow dog rules, because they are dogs. If not trained or socialized....ANY dog can be an ACO's worst nightmare.

Bad people want dogs they can MAKE, to be bad....Pits, Rotts, Chows, etc...because they have the potential....YOU AREN'T GOING TO MAKE A BEAGLE A VICIOUS KILLER, no matter how hard you try.

Don't misunderstand me though, I'm always on full alert with any dog that has a potential for a "big" bite, lol.

Just my opinion....For the record, I like Chow Chows!
Old 08-17-2007
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ Stuart View Post
For the record, I like Chow Chows!
All votes of confidence gratefully received ... but, just for the record, there's a fatality listed on CDC for a West Highland White Terrier (Westie) -- http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf . So you can't really rule any breed of dog out of the "violent rage" range ...

And just to get the topic back onto trivia, where it belongs, do you know that you are 3 times as likely to be medically treated for a non-fatal spider bite as for a non-fatal dog bite? Food for thought. You don't see insurance companies out there refusing you insurance because your household has spiders ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 08-17-2007
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

I like chows for the most part. I will, however, use extra caution on any dog I pick up once I see that black tongue come out. one of my favorite dogs at my old doggie daycare job was a young mini-chow (I know that's not a real breed, but he was tiny!) named "Grrr". he was so cute and friendly.

for the record, I've been bitten badly by a: rat terrier, basenji, boxer, lab, and border collie mix at my old job, and as an ACO, all I've gotten was a bad cat scratch and a feral cat bit my hand through my glove and didn't break skin.

Last edited by tomahto; 08-17-2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 08-17-2007
Giga-posting ACO

OMG that is the cutest thing ever! How much does(n't!) that dog weigh? Jeepers, it's like the transistor revolution ...

Old 08-17-2007
Almighty ACO

he was probably somewhere in the 30-40 range. he's such a teddy bear.
Old 08-17-2007
Almighty ACO

come to think of it, we've got a pair at the shelter right now that look just like him, only older and not quite as happy-go-lucky. I'm not sure who is breeding these things around here, but they are cute.