ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 06-28-2007
Shelter Survivor

dbaty is on a distinguished road
Default "Hate The Deed Not the Breed"

Is this a true statement when it comes to the Pit Bull? I see so many around here and I wonder more about the owners than I do the Pit themselves. So far I've not encountered any problems. All the ones I've come in contact with have been fairly friendly. Only once have I seen any teeth and then I just gave them their space until they felt comfortable with me.
Old 06-28-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

True when it comes to pretty much anything, I'd say. Not fond of chihuahuas or teenage gangbangers, myself, but I'm sure I haven't met them all ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 06-28-2007
Forum Friend

Lyra is on a distinguished road

All this hype about how nasty they are gets the general public so riled up. Most of the time when I get a dog at large and it ends up being a pit the RP is so frantic that its a pit bull, or similar appearing breed, that they run inside and call animal control. I get out there and, so far, every one of them is friendly as can be and more than happy to have a few treats while I scan for a chip or look up tag numbers. Then the RP comes out and is so happy that I caught the horrible pit bull for them. Don't get me started on the family that called in complaints about thier neighbors pitt just because it was a pitt, just for me to walk in the back yard and have the dog roll over on his back to have me rub his belly. I suppose I am fortunate I know of 3 pits in my town that are just nasty but they are also under court order for special containment.
Old 06-29-2007
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

Here in Ontario we have a Pit Bull ban. I totally disagree with it and think that it lies with the owner..usually. I have met alot of great pit bulls. But, so many of them get into the wrong hands.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 06-29-2007
Field Operative

LCK
Send a message via MSN to LCK Send a message via Yahoo to LCK

Michelle the scary thing I think about pits are that they are so unpredictable. Comrades correct me if I am wrong but I think a lot of mean dogs will warn you, Pits get the rep they do because they just snap one day. I cant count the times I have heard, "he has never even growled before!" Also pits are aggressive towards animals more than humans, most pit bites around here are from breaking up dog fights.

I am in a rural area so i get alot of calls for stray "Pit Bull' and 75% of the time its a sweet ol Boxer. We have to deal with ignorance on so many levels in this field of work...

Last edited by LCK; 06-29-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2007
Shelter Survivor

dbaty is on a distinguished road

Yes you are so correct about dealing with ignorance. I'm a snake lover and people are so ignorant when it come to them. Sometimes I think the average person feels that all snake are deadly. So far from the truth. Gotta love what slithers across the ground.
Old 06-30-2007
Provisional Posting ACO

Tuasdad

I do my best to educate people when out in the field.
I'll get a call for a "vicious pit" doing that is actually a lazy english mastiff (true story). I just hate when they call for a stray pit and i show up and the dog is friendly and they are worried about their ankle biting chihuahua getting hurt.

The worst is when they ask to do something just because it is a pit. I tell them that would be like racial profiling. I'm not going to rush to a stray pit bull any faster than a stray chow unless there is good reason. I tell them thats like asking the cops to hurry because the person in question is a black/white/hispanic guy
Old 06-30-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaty View Post
Gotta love what slithers across the ground.
Now there's an ACO talking ... Aw, man, you gotta? Really?

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 06-30-2007
Forum Friend

Lyra is on a distinguished road

I understand the predictableness and consider that every time. I feel that is something that I should do with any animal I am working with. Afterall any of them could completely change behavior at any time. I had a rottie that I had to write the owner for vicious because his dog attacked several other dogs while at large. The poor guy was left scratching his head wondering what had happened because the dog had never been aggressive toward anything before. Its some of those ankle biters that worry me most of the time!
Old 06-30-2007
Forum Friend

carole
Send a message via Yahoo to carole Send a message via Skype™ to carole

I'm with Tuasdad. I don't rush any faster to a pit call than anything else without a good reason and it's usually to protect the pit cause someone is threatening to shoot it....yes sir you do that and you will be charged with discharging a firearm within city limits, within 200 feet of a residence and endangerment of human life. Yes bully breeds can be unpredictable, that is why they demand a knowledgeable owner. More responsibility in breeding them would help too. Bad genetics, bad owners and bad breeding equals a bad dog. Just like there are "bad" people(serial killers etc) there are genetically unstable dogs regardless of breed but with the bullies undesirable tendencies are what people are deliberately encouraging. These dogs did not breed themselves to be vicious. PEOPLE DID and people need to take responsiblity for that fact............and I step down from my soapbox