ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2007
Certified Posting ACO

KeepItWegging is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The breed of dog that attcks family members unproked

Why we are on the subject of breeds that bite, I saw the legected in mention of the Dalmatian! This breed of dog has a rep for being crazy and ect. I know personally know it first hand, our family had 2 Dalmatians over the years and they bit the whole family for no reason. My sister was 9 when she was first bit in the arm, I was 11 when I told the dogs to get off the chair and they bit me in the face. The dogs also bit my parents and other people in teh house. We got the dogs from a top breeder and had dogs in the past. But, the Dalmatian is a none provoked prone bitter due to their breeding and the breed wriedness. This not the only case of Dals turning on their own family, If anyone saw "It's Me Or The Dog" last week with Pongo the Liver Spotted Dalmatian on Animal Planet,..He bit this kid for no reason whats so ever! It really bothers me when I see people talking about breeds that bite and fail to mention the Dalmatian when they are offen are giving up by families because they bit a small child in the family or a member for no reason! Ok all dogs and breed will bite,... or be trained to bite or whats so ever,.. But the wacko Dal will attack family members unprovked! Well, I had make this statement when I never saw a post mention about these family member bitters are never mentioned! If you care to look on the net you fine plenty of storied of simliar stories on the Dalmatian!
Old 05-09-2007
Field Operative

Dale4 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's true about Dals... If they have teeth they can bite. The smaller the dog the more bites in succession.
Old 05-09-2007
Certified Posting ACO

I know, but the point of this was that Dals never get mention in dog bitting here and well I wanted bring up the fact they do bite family members when unprovoked 90% of the time!
Old 05-09-2007
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItWegging
I know, but the point of this was that Dals never get mention in dog bitting here and well I wanted bring up the fact they do bite family members when unprovoked 90% of the time!
90% of the time? I haven't went to any calls of dalmatians biting anyone in the last 5 years, a few mixes, but never purebred ones. Not to say it doesn't happen, but 90%? Where did that stat come from?

Jeff
Old 05-09-2007
Forum Friend

jenjen

That's why when you adopt a pure bred ask to see the parents, if they cant show you the parents, don't adopt a pure bred.... The mother is the main link in this case...
Old 05-09-2007
Shelter Survivor

UNDRTKR is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to UNDRTKR

Agreed, although I do have to argue dogs dont bite for no reason, sometimes we just dont see what it is. It could be something as simple as a dog that is so overly dominant that all you have to do is look at it one second too long and the dog automatically feels threatened because it is so dominantly out of control that it only takes a simple look to set it off. And ofcourse then we'll think it bit for no reason.

Pushing a dog off a chair and getting bit in the face is probably due to a dog whose dominance is high, and it doesnt like to be told what to do and when to do it.

I have a dog like that now, that took a very long time to "set strait." My dog used to growl if I so much as stood over him, I have a trainer who told me hugging or standing over him would cause him to feel he was "being mounted" and overly dominant dogs usually react to that by attacking. So we had to address a LOT of dominance issues with him, and now we no longer have these problems, but it was hard work.

But, I grew up with a dalmation that we signed over to animal control when I was very young, because we had a family party, and the dog was just sitting there and one of my relatives leaned over the dog to pet it, and it lunged up and attacked her very badly. We had to call an amubulance and they dispatched ACO's with them and we willingly gave her up.
This dog would flip out if you so much as hugged her, again, a dominance issue, a hug to some dogs feels like a dominance stance challange. Dalmations and Wiemeraners, I think, are both "shakey" breeds... (when I say "shakey" I dont mean a dog that is a constant biter due to breed, but rather a dog that seems more nervous than others, and therefor may be more likely to fear bite.) Just my opinion though, not saying they are all bad breeds, but, I caution them more than others.
Old 05-09-2007
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13

We have had one dalmation bite in 5 years and it was a provoked bite. Now we have had 2 husky bites in the past six months that were unprovoked and one just about took someones face off. MAny unprovoked Chihuahua bites, pomeranian, German Shepherd, Pit Bull, Dachsund, Boxer, and the list goes on.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,
Old 05-10-2007
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse

You know, for someone who preaches... "It's the deed not the breed", you should then quit harping about dog bites BECAUSE OF BREED...

at least from what I can decipher of your post.

PS. I have been working full time + as an ACO in CA and in almost 8 years I have only quarantined one dalmation for a dog bite....
Old 05-10-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Anecdotal evidence, however persuasive emotionally, is not a reliable method of evaluating potential future behaviour of a breed, much less of a single animal. Even where available, breed bite statistics are subject to misconstruction based on breed misidentification (often by "professionals") and what may be construed as "provoked" versus "unprovoked" aggressive or defensive behaviour. In addition, a dog breed may change over as little as thirty years based on what is being popularly bred for, leading to research matter that is obsolete before it can be tabulated.

Rather than pondering why a Dalmation would want to bite Keep It Wegging and her family, maybe we could work on bite prevention as a topic in general. Given the fact that any dog MAY bite, what behaviour can we encourage in the human that will limit the damage inflicted?

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 05-10-2007
Certified Posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aco30l13
We have had one dalmation bite in 5 years and it was a provoked bite. Now we have had 2 husky bites in the past six months that were unprovoked and one just about took someones face off. MAny unprovoked Chihuahua bites, pomeranian, German Shepherd, Pit Bull, Dachsund, Boxer, and the list goes on.
Agian,... What Kinda of husky??? You just can't say Husky,.. There's are many breeds with the name Husky. I see you will say Germen Shepherd, not Shephered, but you legect to say what kinds husky!!! You are a ACO you should know there are like 10 breeds with the word Husky in the breed name, but you keep saying husky,.. Come on here be a good ACO and defined a breed like you can definded GERMEN SHEPHERD! For all you know the throse Huskies where really Wolf Husky. When you say Husky you are saying one breed of husky is bed when it can be another. Better yet want me to give my World book of dog breeds? Maybe you can teach yourself to definded breed of dogs. You from Santa Clara and I of the Husky bites you talked about and throse where NOT purebred Siberian Huskies, they where a mix with Wolf and they came from a BYB! I hear all these all the time from BASH!

Like Ex. Wolf/Husky that looks like pure bred Siberian husky with blue eyes kills kid, well they say husky and the whole SIBERIAN HUSKY get the blaime for that Wolf/Husky! If you can't defined a husky breed from another husky breed, you should seek another job or take a class in purebred dogs giving by the ASPCA!
Closed Thread