ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 11-19-2005
Provisional Posting ACO

Officer487
Default Rules change...

My position may be unique in some ways, I am charged with the enforcement of municipal traffic bylaws as well as Animal Control Services. I was given an ASP when I was hired, one year later with no incidents or warning. All ASP's were taken away as they are treated as prohibited weapons in British Columbia. After another 6 months of debate... it appears I may get it back if they refer to the ASP as a bite stick to get around the prohibited weapon status. The point of this post, I was recently injured while dealing with a ticked off Rotti. My injuries in my opinion would have been minimal to none at all if I were to have proper defensive tools at arm's reach. After all how can I be charged to protect the public if I can't protect myself ???
Old 12-05-2005
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

LiHammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Well now I'm not sure to get my ASP out or throw a pork roast at it.
As for SOPís, I would love to get my hand on another Animal Control dept's regarding there use of bite sticks. Then I could copy it and make myself look much smarter than I really am. As an alternate to the bit stick we also carry "Direct Stop" spray that works a lot better than pepper spray on a pissed off puppy. Itís cheaper and you don't have to be certified in its use. The ASP is a great deterrent to the jackass that is violating your personal space when youíre working.

[Albert Einstein / "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"][/quote]
Old 12-07-2005
Provisional Posting ACO

Officer487

At this point in the game, I will take whatever tools that I can get my hands on to maintain my personal safety. It's getting to a point that we may start an office pool to see how many Officers will be out on medical/ injury leave by Spring of 2006.
Old 12-12-2005
Probationary Trainee

acobarbie
Send a message via Yahoo to acobarbie

It has saved my asp on numerous occassions...
The one that comes to mind most is a situation where I had 5 dogs in a backyard, and was removing them via ketch pole one by one. While leading the captured dog out of the yard, another dog decided to attack it (while on the pole.) Instead of trying to kick the other dog off (and possibly getting bit), I deployed the asp. Just the sound and sight of it had the other dogs running. It is a super tool for defense of ourselves as well as animals when the ketch pole is already in use