ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 09-19-2005
Probationary Trainee

fafnir
Default Bite Stick S.O.P.

When I was hired by my department, I had recently retired from
a career in law enforcement and carried an ASP for many years.. Although everyone wanted ASP's, no one had any luck getting the
board to approve them. All I did was write a S.O.P. detailing it's
usage and repurcussions if it was not used as prescribed. We sent
it to Risk Management and our County Attorney and it flew right through!! If your agency wants them and doesn't have them, check with local
law enforcement agencies and ask for a copy of the general
orders or s.o.p.'s regarding the ASP and then plagiarize them.
Old 09-20-2005
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo
Default Recipe

A favorite pork recipe of mine is to rub the meat with Tony Chacherie's Cajun Seasoning. Smoke the meat on a smoker (200-250 degrees), with pecan logs until you have the desired amount of smoke flavor. I like it very dark! The darker it is, the stronger the smoke flavor will be. Then wrap it air tight with heavy duty aluminum foil.

Cook it as long as you can stand to stay out of it, or at least 6-8 hours for hams and small roasts, and up to 24 hours for whole pigs. I geeeeeronetee you will love it. Oh, incidentally I usually switch to oak logs after I wrap the meat. It seems to provide more even heat, and lasts a little longer.
Old 09-21-2005
Probationary Trainee

skeets
Default Bite stick safety

I am an ACO in Newport Beach ,CA and we work for the PD. We carry ASP's and I have used my twice to defend myself when a dog came out of the yard and I couldn't get to my pepper spray fast enough. We are trained to carry it and think that any department that won't allow their ACO's to carry one, is looking for more headaches when their officers get seriously injured.
Old 09-26-2005
Provisional Posting ACO

ontherunaco
Send a message via Yahoo to ontherunaco

So much for the ASP postings. (i can't carry one in canada) But hey, feel free to cook for me any time!! I love to cook but if some one did it for me all the better [/quote]
Old 09-26-2005
Probationary Trainee

muddog
Default ASP Baton

Well here's another post that you can show your supervisor. I have been useing an ASP baton for eight years now and it has saved my ass from getting attacked several times over. I would hate to be without it. It should be "common sense" for your boss to see the saftey reasons for carrying them. You should not have to prove anything to him or her.
Old 09-27-2005
Shelter Survivor

RichmondACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to RichmondACO

Hopefully though, by sharing our experiences, it will help philroid's supervisor come to understand how important a bite stick can be at times, if the user has been properly trained.

\"The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.\"
Old 10-07-2005
Forum Friend

ACODAVIS is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ACODAVIS
Default Bite Stick/ ASP

Personally a " Bite Stick" or ASP is a very smart things, sure a few accidents may happen but in the long run it can save your life, just as the others have said. I have carried it in 3 states and currently on my job.
My Certs for my OC chemical spray/ ASP comes from TN law enforcement training.

Recently my department certified me to carry a TASER , for I do not carry a firearm just the other general equipment. Does any other Animal agency carry one ? I have not used it but have been certified through Taser International. I have seen video and photos of were ACO or Law Enforcement lives have been saved humanley from a vicious dog then having to either get hurt or end its life. Really for me its just for protection against a fight dog or viciious animal.

Look forward to the replys

Animal Services Division
Old 10-27-2005
Certified Posting ACO

GJ Stuart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tools/ Weapons

I believe that where you work should dictate what tools or weapons you have. I could not imagine being a County ACO in West Virginia, and not being armed. That being said, working at a City Animal Control Division of Police, I have the whole department at my disposal for assistance. We do carry radios and I just put in for bitesticks and pepper spray. I felt it is better to at least have something to offer a potentially dangerous dog to chew on, besides an arm.

The chief is concerned about these weapons and we will be certified to use both. We also had to set up Policies and Procedures for the use of both.

Personnally I feel that if you have a weapon, you are more likely to use that weapon. I think it is important for ACO's to use their heads! You can outsmart any dog and will do whatever you need to, to protect yourself.

My people will hopefully never use these tools and will be required to send up a report to the Captain, ANY time these tools are used.

George Stuart Senior ACO, North Royalton, Oh
Old 10-29-2005
Probationary Trainee

gunpapa

Simply put, I will not go into the field without an ASP. Our mountain community has a mountain attitude about a dog's freedom.

The asp has come in handy. I had two large trained aggressive rotts come at me shortly after leaving my vehicle. The first dog came head on, the other just outside my periferal vision. The main dog was taking my attention as the other attacked from the side. I was able to back against my vehicle so the dogs couldnt get on the side or behind.
I struck the more aggressive dog with a cross body blow to the head. This had immediate effect. the dog yelped and ran back home. Before the second dog could understand what happened to his partner I advanced with the asp. second dog returned home.

I am 6'4" and 240. This was a life threatening situation. Had the dogs been able to flank and attack, I would have been brought to the ground. If on the ground, I would have been dead. No question.

I could repeat this senario 10 fold. The asp is a basic life requirement.
Having had life long training with Nunchucks, staffs and impact weapons, the asp is a critical tool. I find that the cross body strike, using the strong arm's tricep is the most effective.

You simple cant take the catch pole out of the truck with you for every call. The asp provides a compact protection.

I am more than satisfied. If the ASP can stop a highly aggressive Rott, that to me says alot. papa
Old 10-29-2005
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bite Stick/ ASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACODAVIS
Recently my department certified me to carry a TASER , for I do not carry a firearm just the other general equipment. Does any other Animal agency carry one ? I have not used it but have been certified through Taser International. I have seen video and photos of were ACO or Law Enforcement lives have been saved humanley from a vicious dog then having to either get hurt or end its life. Really for me its just for protection against a fight dog or viciious animal.
Tasers - I would be VERY careful using it. There are as many cases of these not working... The National Animal Control Association policy recommends AGAINST the use on animals. Also, the training for use on people does not apply to animals. Tell an aggressive Rotti (in pain) to "stay down!" and see how much compliance you get... And, if you only get one dart OR it pulls them out then you are left holding a piece of plastic, not a ketchpole, not an asp - nothing. Maybe you could throw it and the dog would fetch it?