ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 09-12-2005
Probationary Trainee

Philroid79
Default Bite stick safety

I am an ACO in Austin; my supervisor has recently decided to retire the ASP from his officers unless we can give him factual reasons, which prove that the ASP is more of an asset than a liability. This decision was reached due to 1 recent injury to an Aco's wrist while retracting the ASP, and 1 incident in which the tip of an ASP struck a car while being extended, leaving a small dent in the car. I am looking for any experiences in which an ACO has protected himself from harm using the ASP, and events when an ASP was the best equipment for the situation as opposed to a 3 foot Ketch Pole (which is what he is suggesting to replace the ASP). Please mail any experiences or useful facts that you may have to philroid79@sbcglobal.net-- Thank you.
Old 09-12-2005
Certified Posting ACO

Ant
Default Bite stick

Your bite stick is not only a protective device against possible assult from the 4 legged and/or 2 legged critters you have to deal with but it can also be a useful tool in the field. I have used mine several times to lift heavy storm sewer lids or to remove a leash from a dog that didn't become snappy till the leash was on. We all carry it as protective device that gives the dog something to bite other than our legs. Ask your supervisor if they would rather pay the doctor bills or deal with a couple of isolated incidents.
Old 09-12-2005
Forum Friend

aco416iris
Send a message via MSN to aco416iris Send a message via Yahoo to aco416iris

I really appreciate this thread. As of now, my department is not allowed to carry bite sticks so I'd also appreciate any information about how useful they are. Not that I need to be convinced of that, but it certainly helps me to have valid scenarios/situations for my 'what if' examples that I present to the Health and Safety board each year when trying to fight for the use of the ASPs. My boss seems to think they're unneccessary.
Old 09-12-2005
Probationary Trainee

FLaASO

In addition to a skull cracker........the ASP is a multipurpose tool.

Transfering animals from traps to transfer cages. You can slide the exteneded ASP into the trap to help "push" the resistant animal into the transfer cage.

Opening closed windows for animals left inside overheated vehicles. A simple tap of the tip does wonders on adjusting the overall makeup of the window from one piece to many pieces. In turn allowing a fresh flow of air into the vehicle and the animal.

Reaching those hard to get to spots where equipment or an animal has fallen or crawled. That ASP tip does wonders on allowing you to hook those hard to reach areas/things and ease 'em on out to ya.

Rusted trap hinges. The butt of the ASP is a direct, firm tool in which to tap those rusted joints/latches........to make for an affirmative,persuasive argument.......prompting the rusted piece to move freely. A tap here, a tap there.

Then.......then there's those mean, pissed off and/or aggressive animals who wish to take their fustrations out on your leg/arm/face/combination of those parts. The ASP "snapping" out is an audible sound that in many cases (on my part and experience) is enough to make the animal pause and rethink it's decision to mess with you. Few charging animals I've had to deal with have gone beyond the "snap". Those that have......well, Mr. ASP had a discussion with them (since we don't have air-Tazers yet).

As for Supe..........he/she/it will decide what they want regardless of what info you give them. Our agency continues to use them in part due to the fact that we have advised our supervisors that they will be part of the lawsuit should one of us get maimed as a result of having no baton.

As for your two clutzy officers. A similar discussion with our agency Big Boss brought this out. "Don't penalize the rest of us for the F'ups of a few people. Take the batons away from those people, not the rest of us who have proven ourselves." Those two factors have allowed us to maintain our use of the ASPs in the face of our supervisor not wanting us to have them.

"Nuff said.
________
HeatherAdams cam

Last edited by FLaASO; 08-16-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2005
Certified Posting ACO

BA ACO

one instance where it saved my ass.....I was on a call where all I had to do was make contact with the RP. I pulled up at the residence and there were two people waiting outside to talk to me. I got out of my truck and while walking up to the front porch a pit bull came charging at me from the side of the house. I did not have my ketch pole with me, as I did not need it for this call. I grabbed my asp as quick as I could and clocked that dog right up side his head while he was in mid-air. He hit the ground and took off running the other direction yelping like a newborn pup. If I did not have that asp, that dog would have probably grabbed ahold of my arm and did some major damage. I had pepper spray, but thats got about a 50/50 chance of working. I usually use my ketch pole for defense, but there are time when you dont have it handy. As someone else said, the sound of it usually makes them think twice. I always reach for my asp first! Its the most effective way Ive found.
Old 09-13-2005
Shelter Survivor

RichmondACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to RichmondACO

I guess a simple argument for the powers that be could include: if the bite stick/asp baton was NOT an effective tool, then why would NACA offer a course as part of their level III training. I guess maybe they are just looking for ways to make money. Also, why is asp/baton class a requirement in police academies around the country. The asp has proven time and time again to BE an effective tool. It has saved my ass many times. The instance that comes to mind the most is when I actually used it to pry the jaws of a pit off my calf, after jabbing him in the eyes didn't work. The problem may lie in whether the users have been properly trained. Next question, have they? On a different note, we were issued those three foot ketch-all's. That's about 2 feet closer than I want to be to most dog's, I hate it.

\"The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.\"
Old 09-13-2005
Probationary Trainee

Megan
Send a message via Yahoo to Megan

I don't know what state you are in so I don't know what your laws are. However, see if your super will have you all Bite Stick Certified. This way, if/when a problem comes up, it goes over much better in court to show certification. Judges generally understand small, isolated incedents can and do occur...this is why towns carry insurance. I was ceritified and carrying before the officers at my PD were allowed too (which went over real well...lol).

It is not seen as a weapon, but another tool to be utilized, when needed, in the line of duty. It is a saftey device, with mutliple uses; dead animal poker, bramble mover, snake restrainer, arm extention, direction aid, meat tenderizer, heavy object lifter,thin branch breaker, ect. And yes, it is some times used to strike down an aggressive animal. But as said above, I would think it would be less of a financial blow to deal with the rare and isolated small incidents then to cover the medical bill and law suit of an employee who was hurt in the line of duty simply because the employeer refused to allow them the equipment necessary for preventing personal injury.
Old 09-13-2005
Shelter Survivor

Lol@ meat tenderizer. Coulda used that info last night when I was staring that pork roast in the face.

\"The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.\"
Old 09-16-2005
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

Okay, Keegan, I can't resist........here's my favorite pork roast recipe.

Rub the pork roast with salt, pepper and lots of oregano. poke holes in it and add bits of garlic. cover the roast with olive oil. add a bit of water. shove it all in the crock pot and let er roast.

another version involves also putting pats of butter into the holes with the garlic, if you're not afraid of lots of cholesterol, but I find it tasty and tender and juicy without beating it with my asp repeatedly.

yum. I miss cooking this one, but unfortunately, my Weimaraners won't allow me to crockpot cook. sigh.

MB
Old 09-19-2005
Shelter Survivor

We need a recipe section here, I pride myself in cooking. That dry/wet rub combo does sound good, although i'm not much of a crock cook. Starting a meal early in the day messes me up, i've gotta cook when i'm hungry. lol