Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 05-07-2007
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

A. Gianotto has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to A. Gianotto
Default TNR Reality Check?

http://www.tnrrealitycheck.com/

Anyone seen this website? I thought Alley Cat Allies had some pretty remarkable numbers with regard to stray cat populations as a result of their TNR efforts.

This website seems to endorse socializing ferals and adopting them out instead of TNR - but I would have to wonder where these people live that they think the resources exist to do this. IMHO, we have a hard enough time placing the cats that are *already* in shelters and rescues, let alone adding to that population and adding on the additional time needed to socialize them.

Your thoughts?

R.I.P. Susan Caskey AKA "Critterfuz": April 1970 - Dec 2007.
R.I.P. Keegan Merrick AKA "RichmondACO": July 1977 - Jan 2009.

We miss you.
Old 05-07-2007
Field Operative

Dale4 is an unknown quantity at this point

TNR??? Damed if you do, damed if you don't.
Old 05-07-2007
Forum Friend

carole
Send a message via Yahoo to carole Send a message via Skype™ to carole

We have a hard time adopting out the "adoptable" cats and don't have the time or resources to domesticate the ferals. We have a lady here who does manage a couple of feral colonies. She traps, spays/neuters, tags their ear and releases. She pays for any medical needs(hbc). She does this with all her own money. At least with her spay/neutering it is cutting down on the population. Unfortunately if we get ferals in they go straight to the vet. We have only kept one feral and that's because we had the room, he wasn't extremely wild,(just a little bit lol) and it doesn't take any extra time or resources to work with this one. If people would spay and neuter, keep their own cats home and be responsible it would cut down on the population explosion and we wouldn't have to euth as many wild cats. Don't people realize that wild cats can be just as dangerous as a dog? Plus the risk of disease is higher since the wild ones aren't getting vaccinated.
Old 06-01-2007
Certified Posting ACO

Specialk281 is on a distinguished road
Default cat bite much more dangerous

I agree a cat bite is much more dangerous than a dog bite, due to all the bacteria that lives in a cat's mouth, will cause a really bad infection or worse.

It's not like we can just put a cat on a catch pole to keep the animal and everyone safe. We set live cat traps all the time for the ferals and it is amazing how many people continue to allow their pets to breed with the strays, and do not want to do anything about cleaning up the feral cats from their neighborhoods. Same people flip a lid when their child gets bit and then sits at the window shooting every cat in sight. From one extreme to another. People need to realize that a feral cat is just that and not ment to be a family pet.

I know this may sound harsh but the time, money and energy spent to rehab and socialize just one feral cat, could be used to care for, rehome and spay/neuter many adoptable cats.
Old 06-30-2007
Shelter Survivor

dbaty is on a distinguished road
Default Educate me Here!

What is the difference between a Feral and a stray? I've been busy capturing some K-8's in the last couple of weeks and let me tell you. They have not been none too happy once their in a cage. What do I need to look for? The TNR site has some interesting info and I'm trying to learn as much as possible.
Old 06-30-2007
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

The difference between a feral and a stray is that a stray is owned by someone and will most likely be easier to catch *L* a feral cat is a cat that has proabably been outside from birth. They are untrusting of humans and are usually not very nice. Plus they are impossible to catch without a humane trap. They also are very "street smart". You can always tell the diffenence between a feral and a stray. I've seen ferals actually climb a wall before and you DO NOT WANT to get bite by a feral cat.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 06-30-2007
Shelter Survivor

Thanks for the info and I'll be sure to use the utmost precaution if I ever tangle with one!!
Old 07-02-2007
Field Operative

Dale4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sunny is right. I lost the middle finger of my right hand do to a cat bite. Infection is almost right a way. I'm more careful with cats then dogs.
Old 07-02-2007
Shelter Survivor

Default Not Good!

This is what I like about this site, so much useful info.

---------------------------------------------------

Progress stops at the Cemetary.
Old 07-02-2007
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
You can always tell the diffenence between a feral and a stray. I've seen ferals actually climb a wall before and you DO NOT WANT to get bite by a feral cat.
I disagree with that. ANY cat in a cage can act totally nuts, feral or not. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference when they are stressed out. I would suggest that you ALWAYS use caution when dealing with any cat. It was a stray -- not a feral -- that bit me so badly that I couldn't use 2 fingers on my left hand for several weeks.