Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > In the News

Old 05-06-2007
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bay area, CA honored as most humane area in nation

http://cbs5.com/localwire/localfsnew...urces_bcn_html

BAY AREA HONORED AS NATION'S MOST HUMANE REGION
05/05/07 3:45 PDT

Bay Area pet owners are being recognized as some of the most pet friendly folks in the entire nation, based on a new report released by the Humane Society of the United States.

According to the report, the San Francisco Bay Area is more than twice as "humane'' as the nation's average large city, and is tops among all of the nation's largest 25 metropolitan areas.

The report, which was released Monday, found that the Bay Area ranks first in compassion for animals, according to new comparison with the largest U.S. cities by the Humane Society's "Humane Index.''

"Our society's treatment of animals has so many facets, and the Humane Index is an attempt to measure a wide range of conduct that has implications for animals,'' said Human Society president and CEO Wayne Pacelle.

According to a statement from the Humane Society, this is their first official Humane Index, the results being comprised of a dozen factors selected to provide a basis for comparing the relative humaneness of metropolitan areas.

Topics addressed in the index include focus on pets, farm animals, wildlife, and animals in entertainment and advocacy.

According to Humane Society spokeswoman Erin Williams, researchers found several important facts about Bay Area animal treatment: only nine percent of San Francisco's pet stores sell puppies bred by commercial operations, there are nearly 21 wildlife watchers to every hunter in California, and the Bay Area is first among "humane dining,'' with 40 vegetarian restaurants.

The Humane Index project was developed over the last several years with research support from the Seattle-based Humane Research Council, Williams reported. Seattle, Portland, Washington and San Diego round out the top five most humane metropolitan cities in order or humaneness, Williams reported.
Old 05-06-2007
Certified Posting ACO

Kelness1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kelness1983 Send a message via Yahoo to Kelness1983 Send a message via Skype™ to Kelness1983

Wow that's really cool to know!

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats her animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 05-07-2007
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse

Hmmm,

Very interesting, and I will definitely have to look up more information.

But for those of you folks that dont live in "The MOST humane part of the world", I would remind you of a couple things...

1. Statistics are a tool that can be used in a variety of ways to get a variety of results. It may not be a completely accurate picture.

2. I agree that a lot of people in the Bay area are vegan/vegetarian and demand humanely raised meat that they eat... and yet they spend major money for beautiful homes, cars, buy the best clothing, and complain that wildlife might ruin their lawn... or eat the dead fruit off their trees, or are ok with killing hundreds of deer because they are "non native"... Have no problem buying fresh fruit from central/south america and mexico where the environment is being raped, and pesticides are not held to the same standards as USA.

3. They dont value their ACO services any more then any other part of the country. (Matter of fact, one of those great citizens tried to run me over 2 nights ago, hit the control pole out of my hand as I JUMPED off the side of the road @ 30 mph, and never even slowed down...) We may make good money, but we also have a MUCH higher cost of living... You see tons of purebred animals in shelters, regardless of whether or not we buy them in puppymills or from breeders...

I could go on and on.....
Old 05-09-2007
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse

So, I was driving around the "Bay Area" and stumbled upon this graffiti under the 101 freeway...

Darn it... it is just SAD when even the gansters in the area are striving to be a part of the most humane city in the world...
Old 05-09-2007
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

awwwww.
Old 05-10-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Oh, this jurisdiction just KILLS me. Honestly it do.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)