Old 03-30-2007
Probationary Trainee

City of La Porte IN
Default Hiring Maintenance & Animal Control Officer: La Porte IN

Position: Maintenance and Animal Control Officer
Department: Police Department – Civilian Position
Salary: Up to $26,336 annually
Closing Date: April 13, 2007

Serves as primary Animal Control Officer for the City of La Porte. Responds to animal control calls and assists with routine custodial duties.

MAIN DUTIES
· Performs routine and customary custodial duties at Police Station which includes sweeping floors, mopping floors, emptying trash cans into the dumpster, vacuuming the carpets, washing the windows, raking leaves, sweeping sidewalks, shoveling snow, picking up trash and cleaning the restrooms.
· Responds to animal complaints which may include the following:
· Follow up on any dog or cat complaints received at the police station. Determine if the animal is vicious. Using a tranquilizer gun, subdue dog/animal if it is vicious. Transport animal to the animal shelter.
· Look up any City ordinance to determine whether the owner has violated an ordinance regarding animals.
· Summon a patrol officer (by using police radio) to write a ticket if animal owner is in violation of City Ordinance.
· If animal is stray, trace animal by using the information on the animal tag or by calling the veterinarian. Attempt to locate the owner and warn the owner to keep the animal confined.
· Create and type the case reports after animal call is responded to.
· Responsible for transportation detail of City squad cars including driving car to service garage or the Street department and returning the paper work to the Police station to be logged into the maintenance log book.
· Responsible for transporting recovered bicycles to storage site (M St. building).
· Assists with organizing police department items to be included in annual city auction.
· May be assigned other duties as necessary to assist with the day-to-day functions of the Police Department.

QUALIFICATIONS
· High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Prior experience handling animals is preferred.
· Ability to read, write and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
· Ability to maintain control of situations which may become difficult at times
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
· Valid driver’s license.
· Basic knowledge of computer software programs (Microsoft Office products)
· Keyboarding Skills
· Ability to drive Animal Control Vehicle
· Verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to lift items weighing up to 100 lbs.
· Ability to shovel snow and/or move trash and other items.
· Ability to handle animals of different sizes and types

Interested candidates should submit their letter of interest and resume to Matthew Cook, Human Resources at 801 Michigan Avenue, La Porte Indiana 46350 or via email at: humanresource@cityoflaporte.com

For more information about the City of La Porte, visit our website at www.cityoflaporte.com
Old 03-30-2007
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

What the.......an ACO that can't even write his own infraction ticket?
Why do departments do this?
Old 03-31-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Okay, THAT hits a new low in the professional standard ...

Quote:
Ability to maintain control of situations which may become difficult at times.
Oh, yeah, and you have to know how to clean bathrooms, too. Hey, way to do some cost-saving and combine those jobs, Mr. Administrator!

Quote:
For more information about the City of La Porte ...
Thanks, I think I just found out everything I need to know ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 03-31-2007
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody questions firefighters cleaning up their living quarters or shoveling snow or emptying garbage. The starting salary for this ACO and Maintenance position is over $7,000 more per year then a starting firefighter in New Orleans makes which starts out at about $19,000 per year and they do their own maintenance work and are really putting it on the line when a call comes in.

I'm sure they'll get tons of applications no matter what other duties you have to perform. After all, you have to start somewhere...

Jeff
Old 03-31-2007
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

wow. you've got to be kidding me. I'm never going to complain about my department again.
Old 03-31-2007
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Summon a patrol officer (by using police radio) to write a ticket if animal owner is in violation of City Ordinance.
This is the only issue that I have with this dept. I have no problem being a custodian - obvioulsy they need one. It's just rediculous that they can't write their own citation's. How the hell do you affectively police a law without the powers to enforce it?
Old 03-31-2007
Almighty ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixbyFire
Nobody questions firefighters cleaning up their living quarters or shoveling snow or emptying garbage. The starting salary for this ACO and Maintenance position is over $7,000 more per year then a starting firefighter in New Orleans makes which starts out at about $19,000 per year and they do their own maintenance work and are really putting it on the line when a call comes in.

I'm sure they'll get tons of applications no matter what other duties you have to perform. After all, you have to start somewhere...

Jeff
the main differences are that firefighters live at the station as part of their jobs. it's kind of like cleaning your own house or dormitory. there is feeling of community involved. everybody chips in. in this job description, the aco is made to be basically subservient to the police officers. I get the feeling that their work as an aco is not valued at all, and instead of giving them work to do in between active calls such as investigating cruelty complaints or working on ongoing animal related problems in the community, they are made to do all the grunt work that any illiterate high school drop out or unpaid college intern could do. it's an absolute insult to the profession. don't get me wrong, I know that this goes on to a degree in most situations where animal control is run out of the police department, but I've never seen it to this embarrassing degree. it's a joke. and I hope you are wrong about the amount of applicants they receive. they should be ashamed.
Old 03-31-2007
Almighty ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfacop
Quote:
Summon a patrol officer (by using police radio) to write a ticket if animal owner is in violation of City Ordinance.
This is the only issue that I have with this dept. I have no problem being a custodian - obvioulsy they need one. It's just rediculous that they can't write their own citation's. How the hell do you affectively police a law without the powers to enforce it?

why don't they hire a custodian, then? or, if they think they need to combine the two unrelated jobs, they need to pay the individual an aco's wages AND a custodian's wages added together.
Old 03-31-2007
Kennel Commander

Poopahbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Poopahbit

We need a union...

Elisabeth

~Edmund Burke
Old 03-31-2007
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahto
why don't they hire a custodian, then? or, if they think they need to combine the two unrelated jobs, they need to pay the individual an aco's wages AND a custodian's wages added together.
Maybe they are?

I hear you about the firefighters cleaing up, but we used to have to clean up our own work areas in the military when you were at work, plus you had to clean your dorm rooms too. It's not much of a stretch to imagine our graveyard officer mopping the floors and sweeping up our squad room. As far as not citing anyone, heck, our department doesn't issue them like we should, probably only one in twenty gets cited for leash law when a violation is observed.

It does sound like they're doing grunt work anyone could do instead of patrolling or investigating things. I wouldn't apply, but for a city job, I'm sure a lot of people will.

Jeff