mcookston79
Send a message via Yahoo to mcookston79
Default any aco job in oklahamo

i am moveing to ok any know if there any aco job in ok
Old 02-28-2007
Provisional Posting ACO

Maima

Translation:

"I am moving to Oklahoma. Does anyone know if there are any ACO jobs in Oklahoma?"

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Old 02-28-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maima
Translation:

"I am moving to Oklahoma. Does anyone know if there are any ACO jobs in Oklahoma?"

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Translation:

"I am a person of some linguistic skills and aptitude, and/or an editor lurking in disguise. I also have a good, gentle sense of humor, which I hope will not offend those whom I correct."

(I could have resisted, but I didn't, sue me. )

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 02-28-2007
Provisional Posting ACO

Maima

Yeah.
Old 02-28-2007
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

ACOFunStop could use a good spellchecking add-on. I'll consult with the GURU...
Old 02-28-2007
Forum Friend

jenjen

You guys are mean!!!!
Old 02-28-2007
Provisional Posting ACO

Meredith
Send a message via AIM to Meredith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf
ACOFunStop could use a good spellchecking add-on. I'll consult with the GURU...
Wait, it doesn't have one already? I must have one built into my browser then. Actually...I think I do! Firefox 2.0 has a spell checker, while still needing some fine-tuning, that affects what you type in practically any box like this one. Ooo, neat! I really had thought it was just in the phpBB script until just now.

...Just like it was just a couple of days ago that I realized that we sing the ABC's and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to the same tune.
Old 02-28-2007
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen
You guys are mean!!!!
No actually we aren't. Here, errors are made among friends who take the time to offer valuable advice (sometimes wrapped in some interesting sarcastic paper) but still good-natured well-meant words aimed at helping those who seek enlightenment to attain it.

Having been in the "hiring" chair for MANY years, one of the quickest ways not to make the cut is to have poor grammer or bad spelling in your written correspondence. Note that I make mistakes as well and do not take them personally. Some mistakes are simply careless errors while others indicate an underlying problem that may need more work to fix.

Want help with getting a job in animal control? Ask me anything! I'll help with your resume, your application, your letter of introduction. I'll send you sample questions and do mock interviews. Not that I am a "job placement service" but I am more than willing to offer some help where and when I can. If one of those pieces of advice is -- take time to check your spelling -- then I offer it. There are lots of people on this board and in this profession who will attest to my statement above.

I certainly don't couch it with "oh stupid and ignorant moron. The Queen's English is obviously a foreign language to your own ears. Since your typing skills obviously mirror your intellect, please do not waste my time or your own by submitting an application. Our agency has plenty of toilet paper which is kinder and softer on the posterior than the rag you forwarded." -- but there are directors out there whose minds work just this way. And their agencies reflect their poor judgement and people skills as well.

I would rather have someone with a good heart, ambition, a willingness to learn and some skills that I can help improve but in the real world, part of that means using some type of criteria to whittle down the stack to consider. In a previous employer, the first cut was typed vs. handwritten. Scary. Bet there were a LOT of good apps that never made it to the second round.

I know Winnie - she doesn't have a mean bone in her body that I can find. If she reads this post, maybe she will re-post the "Why we do what we do" speech. We all want to help pthers find their way into our profession. Gosh knows, we need more people who WANT to be here so that those who are marking time till retirement and need an excuse to leave will get on with it.

And I step off my soapbox. More than I usually post in the open sections but thought it needed to be said.

Need a hand, just ask!
Old 03-01-2007
Provisional Posting ACO

Maima

jenjen, I'm the one that's mean, really, and should apologize. And Winnie was gently (I think ) teasing me about my post (above hers).

I was making fun of the original poster's writing style. And, honestly, I realize that lots of people -- especially folks younger than myself -- write/type the way that the original poster from Oklahoma does. That is, people who do a lot of online posting and text messaging with quickie shorthand that's very common nowadays.

I meant no offense to the original poster, but I'll sincerely apologize to him for any rudeness or snobbishness on my part. I'm embarrassed...

I do want to say, though, that good writing skills and grammar do go a long way in many careers, as Mark stated.

I'll be quiet now. **slinks away out of the room...**
Old 03-01-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

And here I sit, living proof of why one should never, ever send an email out with that feeling of "I wonder if they'll take this the right way"!!

mcookston79: Please forgive us the flippant reaction to your search for a job. If we knew of one, we'd tell you. We are so used to razzing each other around here we do it automatically now; no offense meant. As Mark says, please ask if you want help with resumes or cover letters or whatever ... he's the guru who hires for a living, and I'm the ex-guru who was an editor for a living, and we're all a lot mellower than you probably think by now .

Maima: I really was trying just to tease gently, because I "edit" people ALL THE TIME myself, as is completely self-evident. Thanks for taking it so well and please don't slink away anywhere! You stay right here where you belong.

Mark:Thanks for clarifying on my behalf, and for vouching for my non-mean-boned body, which is very sweet of you. Spellchecker, schmellchecker. What we need around here is a SELF-editing button ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)