ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 12-30-2009
Probationary Trainee

guardian17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am going to simplify my thoughts on why breed bans do not work.

1. You punish responsible owners.

2. Those who are dirty, were dirty yesterday, dirty today, and will be dirty tomorrow regardless of whatever laws you create.

3. People will just move to the next best thing. Ban pits, they will go to rotts, ban rotts, they go to mastiffs, etc.
I completely agree.

I do have a pit bull ban in the city I work for. While I can't give you a comparison for before and after because it has been in place longer than I have been working here, I can say that pit bull attacks still happen. We have had 3 severe attacks in the 2 years I have worked here, two of those were pit bull attacks. And both owners of those pit bulls were law breakers in every aspect of their life. They had rap sheets a mile long (including drug charges, resisting arrest, DV...) and were very uncooperative not only with us but with police as well.

I feel it is only punishing the law abiding citizens. The citizens that respect the laws will move to another city or get rid of their dog, and these are the dogs that are more likely to have been raised right and trained accordingly.

The majority of dog bites in my city are from labs and lab mixes.
Old 12-30-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Letís take a look at random banning as a whole.

The most commonly cited cars are red, so letís ban red cars.

The majority of old west gunfighters had blue eyes, so letís ban blue eyed people from owning guns.

With a little creativity people can justify banning almost everything when it is the drivers of the red cars creating the problem or just coincidence on the blue eyed gunfighters.
Old 01-26-2010
Probationary Trainee

CatsMeow is on a distinguished road

We have banned pits here in Ontario. It's a pile of BS if you ask me. People find ways around the laws. A dog trainer I spoke with said she used to go on resuces to Quebec. They would bring pitbulls into Ontario (after the BSL was passed), but they would list them as Staf croses, or lab crosses, so they got around the BSL that way. And as the dog was listed as something else, that paperwork then went where the dog went, and it was then known as what mix was on the paper, not as a pitbull.

My last dog was a Rottweiler Doberman mix. He was a big strong guy. Shortly after the BSL came into effect, we had several comments to the effect of "Shouldn't your dog be muzzled?" "No, why?" "Well, it's a pitbull." My response was always the same "Educate yourself on what exactly a pitbull is. This dog is a rottweiler doberman cross. He is twice the size of a pitbull, and looks nothing like a pitbull. He does not need to be muzzled, nor is he banned".

Of course, if people can't get pitties, I'm sure they will get other dogs...American Stafs, bulldogs, rotties, dobes, mastiffs, cane corsos. It would be a matter of time before they were all banned.

And, let's be honest....dog bites from large, strong dogs always make the news because of the damage they can do. The dog bites from the smaller breeds, who bite far more often, never make the news and therefore those smaller nippier breeds will continue to thrive.
Old 01-26-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsMeow View Post
Of course, if people can't get pitties, I'm sure they will get other dogs...American Stafs, bulldogs, rotties, dobes, mastiffs, cane corsos. It would be a matter of time before they were all banned.
The Pit Bull was developed by crossing the Old English Bulldog and the now extinct English Hunting Terrier, so if you just write them up as an OE Bulldog/Terrier mix it would not only be technically correct, but it should slide by the ban.
Old 01-26-2010

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

We are not the only ones who have noticed this or thought of it as well. Legistlature has noticed, the more current bans which have/are going into effect list the banned dog as this. "Any dog with the physical characteristics of what is commonly referred to as a Pit Bull" that covers Pit Bulls, APBT, Staffordshire Terrier, American Bulldog, Dogo Argentino and whatever other name people can come up with. One I saw recently did all those and added Cane Corso, Bull Mastiffs, Olde English Bulldogs, American Bully, and some more that I cannot spell correctly off the top of my head. But they listed them all including Rotts. Basically they are saying we dont care what you call them if they look like a pit bull in "our" perception you can't have it. I think that may hve been a small county though, not a statewide ban.
Old 01-26-2010
Probationary Trainee

CatsMeow is on a distinguished road

That phrasing is very similar to the one we have in Ontario.
Old 01-26-2010
Certified Posting ACO

ACO/CSO 710 is an unknown quantity at this point

Breed Bands do not work. I have also had a few pitbull attack along with attacks from other dogs. I am actually working on if I have an attack and I have to deem a dog dangerous or vicious that the owner would have to obtain a 250,000 dollar insurance policy to keep the dog. This is better than a breed ban since not all bully breeds are bad. It would also make the owner more responsible or get the insurance to keep their aggressive dog.
Old 01-30-2010

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

I think the goal of breed bans and anything else imposed on dogs is for public safety interest. Its prevention, allowing someone to keep a dog which is deemed dangerous just becuase they have insurance is not preventing a injury or death from happening, it is only making sure the persons medical bills are paid for which is not the point.