ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 12-16-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinnerIII View Post
My personal opinion. If you're going to ban a type of animal...ban small dogs (don't worry this IS a joke). But seriously, while large dogs can do more damage in a bite, small dogs bite more frequently, and usually with less provocation; in my opinion anyway.
Joke yes, but quite accurate. We have discussed that before, and while everybody has their Pit Bull experience, most ACOs are more afraid of short haired dogs under 15 pounds. That is why I threw in Chihuahuas earlier.
Old 12-17-2009

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

I'm an ACO, I don't fear small dogs. I havn't been attacked by a small dog unprovoked, I have been bitten trying to capture (leaves light scratches) or while attempting to vaccinate. The only dogs I have been "attacked" unprovoked by are three seperate incidents, all Pit Bulls. I have been charged by all dogs, but only actually attacked by Pits. I know everyone says Media, but since I have been an ACO, I think I have seen no more then 5 pit bull stories on the news in this city. I have worked over a hundreds of calls for nieghbors dogs being killed by pit bulls, people being bitten by pit bulls, attacks in progress of pit bulls, not to mention your average loose aggressive pit bull(s) charging and chasing people...and 98% of those calls I get are in fact pit bulls, not lab mixes. So the media doesn't show every pit bull attack thats for sure. I think demographics are huge as well, if these dogs are properly owned they can be great pets, unfortunatly they usually fall into the yards of bad owners. In regards to education, not many of them are welcome to it, I did an event for pit bull owners last weekend. Only 5% of them were interested in even hearing what I had to say in regards to spay/nueter and maybe 10% were interested in free training classes. As long as that attitude persists we will always have this discussion.

Last edited by shawnee2630; 12-17-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-18-2009
Probationary Trainee

GWinnerIII is on a distinguished road

I think the issue with the media is that they omly rarely report any other breed attacks. Your points are valid Pits, when raised improperly (just like any animal) can prove to be a problem. These dogs just need a different approach and socializtaion in most cases.

Regardless, The media draws on and feeds the apprehensions of the public by only reporting pit attacks. Most of the complaintants I deal with in Indy are terrified of Pits...even if the dog is actually a Lab or what have you. Als, most of these runs I've dealt with are dogs that run up to you and just can't wait to get some attention.
Old 12-18-2009

The thing is with Pit Bulls, and we have had several discussions within this forum in regards to how we feel about unregulated ownership and thier exhistance within the community, is that no matter how you feel you may be able to make someone see your point of view, but never will we reach a point where everyone agrees. I just look at it this way, they just recalled 50 million roman blinds as a result of five, yes 5 children were killed by strangualation. The number of children mauled/killed by pit bulls far outwieghs this number but there is no organization out there screaming to recall 3.5million pit bulls across the country...does make you think, and like I always have to point out when having these discussions I am a pit bull owner, I just wish everyone recognized they are a unique breed to own and control. No matter how you raise them, they still are different then your average pet and the proper precautions need to be taken. I don't know if BSL works as we do not have it in place here, but I do believe if Pit Bulls,Am Bulldogs, Presas, basically all bully breeds or anything that appears to be so (physical characteristics) are allowed to be owned by just anyone freely w/o restriction eventually we will all know if it works or not...Okay moving on, jeez talking Pit Bulls is like talking politics. I think it is just as dealing with public, thier perception is based on thier own experiences(mostly) as with us in the profession and will vary from person to person, agency to agency.
Old 12-19-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I found the infromation from this site while I was cleaning off my desk today.

http://animalfarmfoundation.org/view_article.php?id=98
Old 12-20-2009
Kennel Commander

ErinKelleher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ErinKelleher Send a message via Yahoo to ErinKelleher

i do not agree with breed banning...bc once you ban one, a list of others starts to roll in...it's about responsible pet ownership...i do like the idea of mandatory spay and neuter of higher risk breeds though...we have a no breeding policy in our city, but that doesn't mean EVERYONE is watching what their pets are doing...i'm sure it won't be long until mandatory spay/neuter hits us...most of LA County is already doing it.
Old 12-20-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

WilliamsN is on a distinguished road

You don't ban the breed, you ban the deed.
Old 12-20-2009

Any suggestions on banning the "deed"??
Old 12-22-2009
Probationary Trainee

GWinnerIII is on a distinguished road
Default ban the deed

More strict legislation and fines/consequences give a quick result for this. Some cities will revoke operator licenses if a fine is not paid (and they are STEEP fines).

Spay/Neuter laws are a huge improvement, and a good long term fix for overpopulation. This does not do much for people who don't know or care about animals though. Better education of the public is what's needed across the board for both long and short term effect.
Old 12-29-2009
Forum Friend

HARTinTN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HARTinTN Send a message via Yahoo to HARTinTN

You'll find strong arguements on both sides of the aisle. Personally, I think it's a canine form of racism, to ban a breed of dogs basically based on it's looks. First, there's no such breed as a 'pitbull'. Second, how do you determine what is a pitbull, and who determines that? I've known veterinarians that will tell you they can't determine positively if a dog has come from a bully line or a boxer, etc. I've seen dogs that are obviously labs in shelters labeled as pits. So, do they automatically die too?

And what about responsible owners? I've got 5 pits in my house right now living very happily with a very old poodle, a mini doxie, 6 chihuahuas and 2 shepherds, among others. Not a single ounce of aggression in any of them. Why? Because I've worked hard to train and socialize them all properly and made sure that as soon as one was pulled from a shelter or taken in as an owner surrender it was immediately spayed / neutered. So does that mean that even though I worked my butt off to ensure I've got well behaved non-aggressive dogs my pet has to die?

Now, of those 5, one is my pet, the others are all up for adoption through the rescue. Because I'm an owner, I'm probably going to be a lot more passionate about the breed. I attend commitee meetings at various towns in my state to argue against BSL.

Last arguement, the one I think is strongest, is if you ban the pits, not only are you only hurting the people that abide by the law (and they aren't the ones with the problem dogs) you've leaving the gates wide open for the criminal element to go get another large breed dog. Remember when it was the shepherds being banned because that was the breed of choice for the druggies and gang bangers? Then the dobies. And the rotties? Face facts. If you ban the breed you'll have a certain percentage of the population losing their best friends because of the acts of others that are irresponsible.

So here are the scenarios if you pass the ban:

The largest percentage of the population with the breed has two choices; give up their best friend and well behaved and loved pet to be killed or go through the trouble and expense and emotional stress of moving.

A percentage of your criminal element, which is the largest portion of the population that has the problem dogs of this breed, will flip you the bird. You can now legally take the problem dog and kill it. They in the meantime go to the next town over and get another. They don't care about your law, they'll do as they please. Screw you, basically. So now they have another banned dog. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The rest of the criminal element decides they don't want to fool with your crap. That's fine. They go get a molosser breed that's going to exceed 100 pounds easily. They bring it home and raise it the same way they raised the pit. Great. Now instead of an aggressive 35 to 55 pound dog, you have an aggressive 120 pound dog.

So in all honesty, other than killing someone's well behaved dog, what has that ban solved? I've proposed a really well written dangerous dog law in every community I've spoken at. Instead of keeping the public safe from untrained and unsocialized dogs of a single breed, it keeps them safe from an unsocialized and aggressive dog of any breed. Let's face it, a poodle can bite and harm a child seriously. So why put on blinders and leave your public in danger of other breeds? I've got a draft of that law BTW if anyone would like a copy.

Ok, climbing off my now.