ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 12-12-2009

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Carsos are just big a** pit bulls!!! the breed itself is alot meaner though in comparison, in my experience dealing with them.
Old 12-13-2009

TOPDOG2E is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
Hey all,

We in AZ do not have bans on breeds but after several pit bull attacks (or dogs that look like pit bulls, boxers, American bulldogs and such) in the news these last few months I am sure people in the valley of the sun are going to start lobbing for a ban on bully breeds. We had another animal attack turned into a bite yesterday morning and it made the news. The reporting was horrible, the story was completely wrong but it still made the news.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/2...-78889382.html

http://www.kpho.com/video/21914637/index.html

The DO was cited for 2 counts at large, 2 fail to wear.

Anywho, my question is do the breed bans work? Have you ACO's out there who have bans noticed a drop in attacks and bites? My opinion is no but then again I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks for the input. I would like to be prepared for it when folks start asking me about banning pit bulls.

Cheersm Scooterchic
[quote=vylentgrrl;65881]I know!! lol. we have two Cairn Corsos and someone said, "wow! they look like really big pit bulls!"
we have a total of four pit bull mix litters and two more in isolation.[/QUOT

In the State of Ohio they are not banned but labeled vicious and have to be confined a certain way with liability insurence. ORC955.D1 M-1, Orc955.22E M-1.
In the city of Youngstown, Ohio Pittbulls and pb mixes are illegal to own and maintain. there has been a drop in attacks but not the dogs. the dogs are still out there and still coming into my city. Although there has been a big drop in pitbull returns. Very few of the pitbulls we capture off the street are claimed by there owners because they are afraid of possible going to jail. Denver Colorado has a ban and they went House to house a couple years ago looking for the dogs. Good luck
Old 12-13-2009
Field Operative

maddog is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.cacvt.com/node/14992 Has a lot of good data.
I also remember reading a report that Denver has not had any decrease in dog bites since the ban, but a similar city that beefed up it's Dangerous Dog laws has had a large decrease in bites. I will see if I can find that.
In Britain several breeds are banned, last report I read from there was there had been no decrease in bites rates.
I think the key of a breed ban is WHY! If the goal is to get rid of a certain breed, a ban may work if there are sufficient worker bees to enforce it. That is where mandatory spay/neuter comes into play.
If the goal is to reduce dog bites, I don't see a ban working. The 'banned' dogs usually belong to folks who don't obey the law anyway in regard to leashes, licensing, etc. The responsible dog owners go underground or move if they have a member of the 'banned' breed. Then, there is the question of identification. I am sure we have all seen the 'Which one is the Pit bull' photos. 20 some dog breeds, recognized by various kennel clubs, which have all been called 'pit bulls'.
As always, the answer is education, training, enforcement and common sense.

Last edited by maddog; 12-13-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: More to add
Old 12-13-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
http://www.cacvt.com/node/14992 Has a lot of good data.
I also remember reading a report that Denver has not had any decrease in dog bites since the ban, but a similar city that beefed up it's Dangerous Dog laws has had a large decrease in bites. I will see if I can find that.
In Britain several breeds are banned, last report I read from there was there had been no decrease in bites rates.
I think the key of a breed ban is WHY! If the goal is to get rid of a certain breed, a ban may work if there are sufficient worker bees to enforce it. That is where mandatory spay/neuter comes into play.
If the goal is to reduce dog bites, I don't see a ban working. The 'banned' dogs usually belong to folks who don't obey the law anyway in regard to leashes, licensing, etc. The responsible dog owners go underground or move if they have a member of the 'banned' breed. Then, there is the question of identification. I am sure we have all seen the 'Which one is the Pit bull' photos. 20 some dog breeds, recognized by various kennel clubs, which have all been called 'pit bulls'.
As always, the answer is education, training, enforcement and common sense.
Thank you very much! Great info.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 12-14-2009
Forum Friend

DCACC is on a distinguished road

I worked next to Prince Georges County who had a pitbull ban. What I saw as the county next door was all the pits given up to us in hopes of adoption. What was worse were the breeds that took their place because they were not pits Dogo's, Fila Brisaleirio's, Cane Corso's and the list goes on and on. Bigger and meaner is what we witnessed and the attacks from those dogs followed. Mandated legislation to put the breeding back in the hands of responsible breeders is the key, with faith that health and temperament will be the goal.
Old 12-14-2009
Field Operative

maddog is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-soar-66.html

Not the story I read before, but out this week.

http://www.ohmidog.com/2009/03/04/de...not-dog-bites/
This is the one I remember comparing Denver and Boulder.

Last edited by maddog; 12-14-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Add another link
Old 12-16-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I have always contended that it is demographics and not breed traits. If half of the loose dogs in a given area are of one breed, then half of the dog bites/attacks in that area are going to be that breed. About 15 or 20 years ago Chows were really popular, and at the same time Chows and Chow mix were reported to do 1/3 of all dog bites in the US. All a breed ban will do is shift the demographics. If Pits are banned, then people will get Rotties, Dobies or Chihuahuas.

I do find it interesting that the American Pit Bull was developed in the 1850’s, at the turn of the century it was the most common companion dog in the US, it was the poster dog in WWI and also the most decorated war dog in US history, they are owned by such notorious people as Helen Keller, Fred Astaire & Michael J Fox, but now, 150 years after they were first introduced, they are the scourge of society.

Last edited by Getting too old; 12-16-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: lurn tu spel
Old 12-16-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Wow, Media....

OK so in this year I have had two really severe bites to children (we had several but these were my cases). Both in Gilbert AZ, a family oriented farming community within the Phoenix Metro Area. Great place to raise a family. Both Bites were owned animals, one was a St Bearnard that bit the kid in the face resulting in 97 stitches and I am going to guess scarred for life. No media. REALLY?! The other was yesterday, a 2 year old was bit in the face by a beagle, severe lacerations to the left eye, was in surgery when I got the call. Doctors trying to save the child's eye. No media. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Channel 12 following me to all my bite investigations but really guys?! Just cause they were not Pits Media does not care.

OK rant done.

Thanks again for the data. It has proven what I suspected, banning a breed will not reduce bites or attacks.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 12-16-2009
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

I am going to simplify my thoughts on why breed bans do not work.

1. You punish responsible owners.

2. Those who are dirty, were dirty yesterday, dirty today, and will be dirty tomorrow regardless of whatever laws you create.

3. People will just move to the next best thing. Ban pits, they will go to rotts, ban rotts, they go to mastiffs, etc.
Old 12-16-2009
Probationary Trainee

GWinnerIII is on a distinguished road
Default In short...NO

Breed banning does not and will never work. Education is the answer. Spay/Neuter laws help greatly, I have no doubt. Until educating Joe Schmoe about his responsibilities and why spaying/neutering is a great plan is brought to the forefront of any facilities plans, things will not change!

Breed bans just shift the "popular" group to own for people who don't know any better about how to care for an animal. A colleague of mine has related plenty of personal evidence why breed bans don't work. Just because bull breeds are in the lime-light now doesn't mean that wont change. German Shepards, Dobermans, and Rotts have all had their time in the same category that pits are in now.

My personal opinion. If you're going to ban a type of animal...ban small dogs (don't worry this IS a joke). But seriously, while large dogs can do more damage in a bite, small dogs bite more frequently, and usually with less provocation; in my opinion anyway.

Last edited by GWinnerIII; 12-16-2009 at 11:07 PM.