ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 12-10-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road
Default Breed banning does it work?

Hey all,

We in AZ do not have bans on breeds but after several pit bull attacks (or dogs that look like pit bulls, boxers, American bulldogs and such) in the news these last few months I am sure people in the valley of the sun are going to start lobbing for a ban on bully breeds. We had another animal attack turned into a bite yesterday morning and it made the news. The reporting was horrible, the story was completely wrong but it still made the news.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/2...-78889382.html

http://www.kpho.com/video/21914637/index.html

The DO was cited for 2 counts at large, 2 fail to wear.

Anywho, my question is do the breed bans work? Have you ACO's out there who have bans noticed a drop in attacks and bites? My opinion is no but then again I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks for the input. I would like to be prepared for it when folks start asking me about banning pit bulls.

Cheersm Scooterchic

Old 12-10-2009

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

We do not have any enacted here. In Denver from what I understan after three years pit bull "bites" were down from like 134 to 7 or something like that. They have the stats at Dogsbite.org, I havnt been on that site in a while, but they have the info. Look under Legistlating Dogs. I know San Francisco has had great success with thier mandatory spay/nueter ordinance for bully breeds. Thier shelter has gone from 75% pit bulls to 25% pit bulls within a couple of years, I don't know about thier "bites" though. It's a touchy issue, in Ohio almost every county has banned them, the Army, the Marines, another thing you have to look at is not only how many "bites" but also how many family pets do you see get killed by the nieghbors pit bull which broke through the fence...I see alot, I have pulled 7 pit bulls for PDD investigation in the last two days. unfortunatly some are cool dogs too, just have a idiot for an owner. I believe we have to successfully regulate ownership of Pit Bulls or the problem will always persist. I know someone will bring up Rottweilers/Dobermans as the "bad dog" of the past but they never were such a problem/danger to the community as Pit Bulls/bad owners have become I hate having to see things this way because I love the breed, I love my own, I have three and have had Pit Bulls since I was young.
Old 12-11-2009
Field Operative

4myella is an unknown quantity at this point

Besides being totally unfair to a breed of dog based on the action of some and theopinion of the media; I don't think it is effective at all. We don't have it here but I know some places that do and all it does is puch them underground. At least if they are where we can see them we know they're being treated properly and can do something if they aren't.
Old 12-11-2009
Forum Friend

vylentgrrl is on a distinguished road

I don't have a breed ban but i think mandatory s/n for pit bulls would be nice. My shelter is jam-packed with pits. If the breed was banned, owners would definitely hide the dogs from us. I would rather see a decline of the breed than banning them all together.
Old 12-11-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I read the Netherlands overturned their breed ban after something like 10 years because there was no documentable decrease in the number of dog related injuries. Of course we all know that every Labrador running the streets jumping up on people wanting to play is called in as a Pit Bull attacking people, so it is a safe bet that ¾ of all “Pit Bull” related incidents actually involve other breeds.
Old 12-11-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Thanks all, what about animal attacks? Those who have bans on pit bulls have you'll seen a decrease in animal on animal attacks?

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 12-11-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Sorry, BSL is specifically prohibited by our state law, so I can't help there.
Old 12-11-2009

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

When I started three years ago, we recieved calls for Pit Bulls which would turn out to be another breed as well. But now people are pretty well versed in what a pit bull is so those calls have seem to stopped all together. Now I get calls where people don't want to say pit bull so I get the med brown lab, or med tan/white terrier calls just to show up and see its a pit bull. Here we are heavily populated with pit bulls so it seems on some days that is the only breed in the city, I can go a whole shift without dealing with any other animal, no cats, other dog breeds, just pit bulls. They are definetly the choice breed for idiots who want a dog. I don't support a ban, but I would love to see mandatory spay/nueter as well.
Old 12-11-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

z6bhc is on a distinguished road

"My shelter is jam-packed with pits. "

Two most common phrases at our shelter:
--"I could not work here, it's so sad."

--" You sure have a lot of pitbulls!"
Old 12-12-2009
Forum Friend

vylentgrrl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by z6bhc View Post
"My shelter is jam-packed with pits. "

Two most common phrases at our shelter:
--"I could not work here, it's so sad."

--" You sure have a lot of pitbulls!"
I know!! lol. we have two Cairn Corsos and someone said, "wow! they look like really big pit bulls!"
we have a total of four pit bull mix litters and two more in isolation.