Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Job Openings

Old 12-08-2006
Forum Friend

salad_ca
Default Sturgeon County, Alberta, Canada - Animal Control Officer

http://www.sturgeoncounty.ab.ca/pdf_...ntrol_Ofcr.pdf

Animal Control Officer
Competition No. SC-43-2006-W
Sturgeon County is seeking an individual to serve as part of the Protective Services team. Reporting to the Supervisor, Protective Services, you will be responsible for investigating complaints and carrying out the enforcement of animal control related by-laws.
Your job will be to:
• provide effective patrols of relative by-laws and investigation of all related complaints received from the general public within the County, Town of Bon Accord, Town of Gibbons, and Town of Legal.
• carry out related court duties.
• enforce Sturgeon County Dog Control By-laws.
• provide general public with information and make program presentations on all dog control matters.
As the ideal candidate, you will have:
• a minimum of 2 years experience working with animals, as well as excellent public relations.
• a valid class 5 drivers license.
• previous experience as an Animal Control Officer.
Sturgeon County is a team oriented organization that values customer service, quality of work life, continuous professional development, open communication and active participation, all of which is encouraged. As indicated by our employees, Sturgeon is a great place to work where they enjoy a close-knit atmosphere and enjoy taking part in many social activities throughout the year. In addition, the County offers a competitive salary of $31,383 - $41,763 per year, and outstanding benefits package for this permanent position. This position will work Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Some shift work may be required. For more information, visit us at www.sturgeoncounty.ab.ca.
Qualified candidates who are interested in this opportunity are asked to quote competition number 43 – 2006 when submitting their resume and cover letter by 1:00 p.m. on December 28th, 2006, to:
Human Resources, Sturgeon County
9613 – 100 Street
Morinville, Alberta T8R 1L9
Fax (780) 939 3003
Email: hr@sturgeoncounty.ab.ca
For more information about this position, contact Ken Lauinger at 780 939 8350.
• Sturgeon County is located immediately north of the cities of Edmonton and St. Albert, and has a vibrant mix of agriculture, country residential and industry for its 18,000 residents.
• All candidates are thanked for their interest in this position. The County will contact those who are invited to attend an interview.
Old 12-08-2006
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

At today's exchange rate that pay is equivalent to $27,287.52 - $36,312.93 for us American ACO's.
Old 12-09-2006
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

Hi Salad,

What are the odds of them hiring someone who would have to relocate for the job? I'm asking this because I know that "anyone" can be a ACO...why would they want the hassle of hiring someone who has to relocate..kinda thought. But, on the other hand some are more open to hiring outside.

I live in Ontario and have prior ACO experience. (although only a couple months, but I know what the overall job entails) I know what to expect. I have completed a Animal Care Program at college. I also have my First Aid for Pets certificate.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 12-11-2006
Forum Friend

salad_ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny
What are the odds of them hiring someone who would have to relocate for the job?
Sunny, I don't work for that particular organization so I don't know about the relocation question. About the most I can tell you is that the position has come open due to a retirement. I would have to believe that anyone with prior experience would be favourably looked at.

Another thing I can tell you is that when we had our summer postings open it was next-to-impossible to find applicants for those (had to repost twice). And of those, next-to-none had any previous animal handling experience. I'm not sure if that is because they were only summer positions or not, but I'm sure Sturgeon County would love to hear from someone who has training and experience in the position.

As well, there is an extreme shortage of workers in Alberta right now due to the boom from the oil patch, so the odds of out-of-province people finding employment here is really high right now. Hell, we had our neighbourhood Tim Horton's close early about a week ago because of a lack of staff, and we all know that's like a national crisis.

I see that they have an email address for HR listed on the posting. I would try writing a nicely worded email outlining your interest and your questions about the position.

Good Luck!!
Old 12-11-2006
Giga-posting ACO

Thanks alot Salad

I will apply. It says that the deadline is Dec 28, so I still have a few days to make the best damn resume ever *L* Plus, I honestly would LOVE to relocate too Alberta. anyhoo. Thanks again.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Old 12-11-2006
Giga-posting ACO

[quote=salad_ca][quote= Tim Horton's close early about a week ago because of a lack of staff, and we all know that's like a national crisis.
[/quote]

That IS a national crisis...

Sunny

Old 12-11-2006
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by salad_ca
we had our neighbourhood Tim Horton's close early about a week ago because of a lack of staff, and we all know that's like a national crisis.
For those of us south of the border, what is a "Tim Horton's"?
Old 12-12-2006
Forum Friend

salad_ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by "mzk10
http://www.timhortons.com/

Only the purveyor's of the best damn coffee and donuts in the world!!
Old 12-12-2006
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzk10
Quote:
we had our neighbourhood Tim Horton's close early about a week ago because of a lack of staff, and we all know that's like a national crisis.
Think Krispy Kreme, Only waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy better.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,
Old 12-12-2006
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

Quote:
Originally Posted by aco30l13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzk10
Quote:
Think Krispy Kreme, Only waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy better.
Krispy Kreme were good about 25 years ago,
now they S U C K

Yum Yum in Lansdale, Pa. waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy better.

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!