ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 03-28-2007
Probationary Trainee

TollandACO
Default Horse Ideas

Ok folks, I need ideas. My PS Supervisor has been hounding us to start a "directory" of Horse Owners in our Town. He wants us to know the owners contact info, address, and whether they would be willing/capable of offering assistance if needed for emergency boarding, transport, capture, supplies, rescue, etc. We don't needs to neccessarily know how many horses, their names, brands, etc but just basic info.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to approach the Horse World for this endevour? I fear they will feel threatened and think we are trying to regulate/"license" their horses but after having several horses loose over the last few months, it is really for their benefit also.

Thanks
Tina
Old 03-28-2007
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

I would start with those folks already in compliance. Ask your county clerk for a list of horse owners who already claim their horses as personal property for tax purposes as most are required to do. Then while your talking with those nice folks enlist their help in spreading the word. Keep it up beat and present it as a good thing.

You could ask if they belong to any equine clubs or associations in which you could give a short presentation and pass out a sign up sheet. Other points of contact might be stable owners.

I would probably approach this by developing a brochure with a returnable form on the back. That way you could leave a bunch with your equine veterinarians, stables, farriers, etc. or just hand them out to horse owners who want to "think about it".

-Just some ideas...
Old 03-28-2007
Forum Friend

jenjen

How about starting it out in your daily newspaper! That way they don't think that you are just picking on them. I would also find out from your state brand inspector to see if he has a list of citizens that have there animals branded etc...
Old 03-28-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

We ask that "can you help" question as part of our permit process, but seems like you could ask it as part of a census taking too... maybe present it as a fact-finding thing. Present it to them as a benefit of the system: "Hi, neighbor, we're trying to get a sense of how many of you have horses out there, so's we can allocate our resources to help you. Please fill out the reply card and send it in, and we'll be sure you're on our mailing list when we make those resources available ... Oh, and if you'd be able to give us a hand with emergency boarding etc, just check this box ..." or whatever. I did a draft form like this for our agency that we never ended up using (long story), so if you want a copy just PM me ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 03-28-2007
Field Operative

LCK
Send a message via MSN to LCK Send a message via Yahoo to LCK

Micro chipping horses as well as saddles can be a good tool also.
Old 03-28-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCK
as well as saddles
What a great idea!!!

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)