ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Job Openings

Old 08-10-2009
Newsfeed bot
Giga-posting ACO

newsbot is on a distinguished road
Default ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER - Lee County Government - Fort Myers, FL

This is primarily field operations or shelter based work enforcing State Statute, County and City Ordinances relating to animals.
From GovernmentJobs.com - save job, email, more...

More...
Old 08-10-2009
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation CLOSES 8/11 -- HURRY!

FYI: Here's the actual announcement. Ft. Myers is really nice. I wish I were in a position to apply!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Job Title: Animal Control Officer
Closing Date/Time: Tue. 08/11/09 5:00 PM Eastern Time
Salary: $13.33 - $20.86 Hourly

Job Type: Full-Time
Department: Animal Services

This is primarily field operations or shelter based work enforcing State Statute, County and City Ordinances relating to animals.

Examples Of Essential Duties:

Incumbent enforces animal control codes, issues warning, citation and summons, and apprehends stray animals to ensure the health and safety of the public. Work is performed under close supervision following instructions regarding care, humane treatment and handling of animals.

Typical Qualifications:

Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and two years work experience in animal handling, regulatory compliance and enforcement, law enforcement or related field. Requires possession of Florida Animal Control Association (FACA) Certification in Euthanasia and FACA Certified Animal Control Officer or be able to obtain within 90 days of employment. Possession of a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record is required. Ability to lift up to 80 pounds, bend, stoop, lift, and crawl as necessary for handling and transporting of animals, equipment and supplies. Ability to work in a variety of environmental factors and in all weather conditions.

Supplemental Information:

Knowledge of State Statute and Local Ordinances relating to animal licensing, leash laws, animal control enforcement procedures and rabies control. Knowledge of two-way radio, wireless communications, digital camera, office equipment, computer software; such as, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. Ability to enforce the law with firmness and impartiality while explaining regulations to the public, law enforcement and judicial courts with tact, professionalism and courtesy. Knowledge of proper animal handling, microchip scanning, recognition of signs of Zoonotic diseases and laws pertaining to State Statute, County and City Ordinances. Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds. Ability to analyze problems, render advice or assistance and make appropriate decisions and judgments of effectiveness or compliance. Knowledge of county geography and road networks.

Work Hours and Days M-F 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, rotational weekend and night-call shifts required.

Agency: Lee County Government
Address: P.O. Box 398 ATT: Human Resources Fort Myers, Florida 33902
Phone: (239) 533-2245
Web Site: http://www.lee-county.com
Old 08-13-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzk10 View Post
FYI: Here's the actual announcement. Ft. Myers is really nice. I wish I were in a position to apply!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Job Title: Animal Control Officer
Closing Date/Time: Tue. 08/11/09 5:00 PM Eastern Time
Salary: $13.33 - $20.86 Hourly

Job Type: Full-Time
Department: Animal Services

Examples Of Essential Duties:

Incumbent enforces animal control codes, issues warning, citation and summons, and apprehends stray animals to ensure the health and safety of the public. Work is performed under close supervision following instructions regarding care, humane treatment and handling of animals.

Typical Qualifications:

Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and two years work experience in animal handling, regulatory compliance and enforcement, law enforcement or related field. Requires possession of Florida Animal Control Association (FACA) Certification in Euthanasia and FACA Certified Animal Control Officer or be able to obtain within 90 days of employment. Possession of a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record is required. Ability to lift up to 80 pounds, bend, stoop, lift, and crawl as necessary for handling and transporting of animals, equipment and supplies. Ability to work in a variety of environmental factors and in all weather conditions.

Supplemental Information:

Knowledge of State Statute and Local Ordinances relating to animal licensing, leash laws, animal control enforcement procedures and rabies control. Knowledge of two-way radio, wireless communications, digital camera, office equipment, computer software; such as, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. Ability to enforce the law with firmness and impartiality while explaining regulations to the public, law enforcement and judicial courts with tact, professionalism and courtesy. Knowledge of proper animal handling, microchip scanning, recognition of signs of Zoonotic diseases and laws pertaining to State Statute, County and City Ordinances. Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds. Ability to analyze problems, render advice or assistance and make appropriate decisions and judgments of effectiveness or compliance. Knowledge of county geography and road networks.

Work Hours and Days M-F 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, rotational weekend and night-call shifts required.

Agency: Lee County Government
Address: P.O. Box 398 ATT: Human Resources Fort Myers, Florida 33902
Phone: (239) 533-2245
Web Site: http://www.lee-county.com
And all that for $13 bucks an hour?
Old 08-14-2009
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdog01 View Post
And all that for $13 bucks an hour?
Obviously you're not from around here. $13.33 to start is good. The high end -- $20.86 -- isn't even an option in my city!!! Should I stay, I'll top out at $18.
Old 08-15-2009
Field Operative

Default Dont get me wrong....

No I am not-read my profile I am throwing it down in the great state of Michigan (that is sarcasm by the way). Been down to that area (Ft Myers/ Sarasota) and I think it is great but the wages are atrocious. Am I missing something? Is Obama giving away free houses to ACO's who take jobs in Florida? Doubt it. Actually I will be down that way next Friday if you want to show me your digs where you work at. I think you probably deserve better money-I think you agree?
Old 08-15-2009
Field Operative

Quote:
No I am not-read my profile I am throwing it down in the great state of Michigan (that is sarcasm by the way). Been down to that area (Ft Myers/ Sarasota) and I think it is great but the wages are atrocious. Am I missing something? Is Obama giving away free houses to ACO's who take jobs in Florida? Doubt it. Actually I will be down that way next Friday if you want to show me your digs where you work at. I think you probably deserve better money-I think you agree?
<-----check that my profile doesn't say anything...have to fix that. LOL
Old 09-08-2009
Forum Friend

HARTinTN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HARTinTN Send a message via Yahoo to HARTinTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzk10 View Post
Obviously you're not from around here. $13.33 to start is good. The high end -- $20.86 -- isn't even an option in my city!!! Should I stay, I'll top out at $18.
I moved from Naples, just south of Ft Myers. $13 an hour in that area is crap pay. I was making $16 an hour working a night audit shift at a hotel. Hubby was still at CCSO making over $30. SW FL is very expensive.
Old 09-27-2009
Field Operative

That place is a little slice of heaven down there.....Venice, Sarasota...and so on. CCSO- Sheriff's Office in FL? I heard they pay (fl)nothing down there (for law enforcement) and are non-union? Is that true?
Thought u were from tn hart? Did I miss something?
Old 09-27-2009
Forum Friend

HARTinTN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HARTinTN Send a message via Yahoo to HARTinTN

Quote:
That place is a little slice of heaven down there.....Venice, Sarasota...and so on. CCSO- Sheriff's Office in FL? I heard they pay (fl)nothing down there (for law enforcement) and are non-union? Is that true?
Thought u were from tn hart? Did I miss something?
I grew up on Marco Island, an hour south of Ft Myers. Back when it was a slice of heaven - gorgeous little island. It's all high rises now and Naples and Ft Myers are the same way.

I moved to TN about 3 years ago. Will never go back to visit Florida. Want to remember it the way it was when I was little. Most people that visit think it's paradise. I guess my idea of paradise is just different. I liked it when it was small and safe and everyone knew everyone and you didn't have to lock doors.

Collier County Sheriff's Office is where my husband and I were working when we met. When I started they didn't pay very well. But with the housing boom came jacked up salaries and now it's not too bad. They are non-union. We had a vote on it in................ 2002?? I think. On whether we wanted to allow the union to come in and it was almost a unanimous no.

A new sheriff took over a few years back when good old Uncle Don retired. He's not too popular with the real deputies, but the sucks up in the higher offices seem to get along with him ok. It's very political there now. It wasn't that way years ago. I guess I liked things there the way they were when I was little. Even the SO was different; it was like a family. I remember Don Hunter from when I was still in middle school. My father was in the department nearly 30 years. Everyone used to be very close.

Anyway.......

In TN now and other than the poor way animals are cared for, I do love it. Miss my island, but I guess that's just how life is. Things change.
Old 09-27-2009
Field Operative

It is all relative. You have to understand that I live in metro Detroit and almost anything looks like paradise compared to this dump ass state. My city used to be decent to live in as well but I hardly recognize it-I grew up here and remember how it was way back when.
Not sure why you would vote against union- I know that Florida is pro-Republican maybe that is the issue with repect to that.
The sheriff is pretty much always a politician at least up in this neck of the woods. Always on tv trying to promote their agenda and playing up their "tough on crime speel." Actually, the one local sheriff in a neighboring county is apparently going to run for governor if his party backs him but he has apparently reeked havoc on the sheriff dept. budget so we will see how that plays out.
Hope you are happy in TN.

Last edited by dishdog01; 09-27-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: typo