ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 07-31-2009
Certified Posting ACO

bladestunner316 is on a distinguished road
Default Volunteering

I work full time have about 6 months volunteer experience at a local cat shelter. Do to my work I'm limited on how much volunteer work I can do. Now I want to get a job/career as an ACO with the county. For ACO's here will it benefit me to volunteer with the county I want to work for? Would it provide me with a possible edge into getting work there?

nate
Old 07-31-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I would certainly think so. Most places promote from within, so surely they would hire from within also. With a person off of the street all they have is their word, and the word of their best friends that they put down as references, as to how well they work. When dealing with a volunteer, they know everything there is to know about you from the start.

Obviously that can be a two edged sword. We use volunteers here, and while they are great at helping out and filling scheduling voids, we had one who just sat around playing on the computer and talking all day, we have one that may or may not show up when they are scheduled, and we have some who are just so animaniac that nobody wants to be around them. Of the whole batch, I would hire about half of them, and come up with some excuse for not hiring the other half.
Old 07-31-2009
Field Operative

hasbeenaco is on a distinguished road

Absolutely, for sure...it should. As the old saying goes, it's not what you know, but who you know. Volunteer, work hard, learn lots and make a good impression. You should then be front of mind when the 'real' jobs open up. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2009
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

That's how I got my current job initially as the shelter vet. I was applying first as the part-time manager (who needed to be an ACO). I was invited to a Township meeting, where they decided that I might be better off volunteering my services as a vet. if I wanted to. I was debating about this, when I received a call back that they needed a shelter vet. and if I would be interested in taking on the job. I really would like to some day do some ACO work part-time but it is a foot in the door. They are considering hiring me as a back up to the ACOs, as necessary. Hey, it's a start.
Old 08-01-2009
Certified Posting ACO

bladestunner316 is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much this is encouraging. I know it's a difficult time with the economy. I applied for another county job with hopes it will ease my transition If I get that job to become an ACO on top of volunteering when I get my call back!