ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Job Openings

Old 07-31-2009
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor
Default Nothing in fly-over land??

Seriously....I am looking to move on from where I am, and I have to move 2000-3000 miles to do it???

Anyone know of anything open in the midwest..or close to it, for supervisor level on up to director?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2009
Certified Posting ACO

bethmarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Come to California:

Were are in Northern California - very nice county!!!

http://www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/sigma/JobListings.aspx
Old 07-31-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoACOSupervisor View Post
Seriously....I am looking to move on from where I am, and I have to move 2000-3000 miles to do it???

Anyone know of anything open in the midwest..or close to it, for supervisor level on up to director?

Thanks!
<
There are many sites to search for such jobs including here and the NACA sites. Chicago is a great city but there ain't enough tea in China to make me move there. Its bad enough living near Detroit-LOL.
Old 07-31-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I would tell you about one in North Central Texas but I want it.
Old 08-01-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road
Default I am still perplexed....

On a side note- I am still perplexed in the disparity of the job descriptions/requirements from State to State, County to County and so on in this filed. i just saw an opening in Skokie IL for ACO that requires you to get an FOID card and certified to carry a gun but here in MI which has CPL law, and not a ban on weapons like IL, you basically need a letter from Jesus to get a sidearm. I know of about 4 local ACO's in my area that are carrying dept issued sidearms one of which has a taser, shotgun and a sidearm. Why the disparity?
Old 08-01-2009
Almighty ACO

Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdog01 View Post
On a side note- I am still perplexed in the disparity of the job descriptions/requirements from State to State, County to County and so on in this filed. i just saw an opening in Skokie IL for ACO that requires you to get an FOID card and certified to carry a gun but here in MI which has CPL law, and not a ban on weapons like IL, you basically need a letter from Jesus to get a sidearm. I know of about 4 local ACO's in my area that are carrying dept issued sidearms one of which has a taser, shotgun and a sidearm. Why the disparity?
I believe the Skokie job is with the Police Department up there, so their ordinance might give some policing powers to their ACO's. That is my guess...and I think this is the case for those departments in Illinois that allow their ACO's to carry a sidearm. Not everyone does....but some do.

We are not allowed to carry firearms in Chicago. There are some pros and cons with this...but I see this happening down the road with our department. The nature of what we do is ever changing, and we are doing more actual law enforcement duties now, especially around dangerous animals and cruelty/bloodsports cases. On the other hand, carrying a firearm has obvious risks....so I am not totally decided one way or the other if this is a good idea.

We finally got body armor approved by budget...I can say why, but it is pretty hush hush as to the reasons behind it, but it makes a lot of sense!
Old 08-01-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdog01 View Post
In Texas, even Jesus can't get you a sidearm if youíre not a certified peace officer. As far as I can tell, it is about 1 in 1,000 Texas ACOs who are peace officers. We have a concealed handgun license, and the Chief and I have discussed me carrying using one, but it is so restrictive that it makes it impractical for my use.
Old 08-01-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoACOSupervisor View Post
We finally got body armor approved by budget...I can say why, but it is pretty hush hush as to the reasons behind it, but it makes a lot of sense!
Just FYI, when I got my body armor, I also had to buy shirts one size larger to fit over it.
Old 08-02-2009
Almighty ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
Just FYI, when I got my body armor, I also had to buy shirts one size larger to fit over it.
Nah...we did this the right way....we also get a carrier for the vest, so we can wear it over the uniform. Under the shirt just gets too darn hot! Nice to get back into a nice cool truck, and unvelcro the vest to let the air in...especially when you are on a call in 90+ degree heat. That cool air hitting ya is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
Old 08-02-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Mine is concealable, under a polo shirt, and I thought I was going to have a heat stroke one day. I had a 70 pound dog that I had to carry about 100 yards to my truck. It was one of those 90+ degree days, and when I got to the truck I couldnít breathe. I tried turning the AC up all the way, didnít help. I tried driving with the window open (the circulating air cools me off better than the AC), but that didnít help much either. I was just about to get out of the truck and strip down to my T shirt in the middle of the street when I finally cooled down a little.