ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 07-20-2009
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road

Normally we release opossums unless they are sick/ injured, but we have to input the breed, description, gender, and age into the CAD system on the mobile data terminal.
Old 07-20-2009
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoACOSupervisor View Post
Cat breeds can be a pain in the arse!! We usually use DSH, DMH, or DLH, and go by the markings and colors, unless it is extremely obvious the cat is a siamese, persian, maine coon, etc. There is so much cross breeding out there that it is extremely hard to determine what is what exactly.
For breed we also use DSH, DMH, and DLH, but for description, that's where I have trouble with a calico, tort, tabby, etc.
Old 07-20-2009
Field Operative

ACO in Greenville,TX is an unknown quantity at this point

Cat colors are easy. If it is white, black and orange, it's a calico. If it's black and orange, it's a tort. If it has an "M" on it's forehead, it's a tabby.

There ya go.

Course if it's solid grey, it's blue, but we won't go there. LOL
Old 07-20-2009
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse

http://kids.cfa.org/understanding-cat-colors.pdf

Some info on coats, some info on cat color genetics.
Old 07-20-2009
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoACOSupervisor View Post
As far as aging a dog...I was taught by a vet how to do this, so that might be a good resource for you. It is easier to do this when the dog is young....once they get older, it is more difficult to nail down exact age. It is okay to use approximations, i.e. the dog is between 5-7 years of age.

Hopefully Dr. Negrin sees this, and gives more exact info for you....she rocks!

As far as breeds...learn the ones that you commonly deal with in your community first. AND, get a good breed book to help you with the ones you do not commonly see everyday.
Working with vets. helps in getting a rough estimate. Canine teeth in dogs and cats usually come in about 6 months of age; although I have had a few puppies get adult canines at 4 months and others at 1 year of age. I have had one dog that was one year of age that came in with no teeth. The puppy chewed rocks so all of the teeth were destroyed (filed down to the gum line). I would have thought this was a much older dog.

With cats, I found that kittens grow about 1 lb per month up to about 4 months of age. Then, you are just guessing.

Some dogs start getting changes to the lens of the eyes about 8 years of age (the senior dogs). The problem with that evaluation is this: diabetic dogs get cataracts whenever they become diabetic if not regulated quickly. I had a 2 year old dog go blind; she had a lens replacement but before that, she looked like an old dog.

With cats, I usually group them into kittens (by above calculations), adult, and ancient (the skinny, dehydrated looking cat that is still eating and drinking normally). (Just joking!)

This is just very rough estimates. I have seen some 12 year old dogs brought in by animal control where I guessed the dog was about 8-10 to find out the dog was 15 and got away from the owner when the gate was left open.

ChicagoACOSupervisor, thanks for the compliment. I try to help out as much as possible. I had ACOs who taught me about law enforcement so I like to turn around and teach about medicine, etc. whenever I can to whomever requests the information.
Old 07-20-2009
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC626 View Post
For breed we also use DSH, DMH, and DLH, but for description, that's where I have trouble with a calico, tort, tabby, etc.

If you can get a copy of the recent NACA manual, I believe there are color patterns and descriptions given in there. I believe that is where I read it when I took ACO class. Vets. sometimes describe patterns different than the general public so I studied the descriptions in there to see if there was any difference in my terminology to that of ACOs. That is the worst part, when different people describe the same animal differently. That makes it very difficult for owners to get their animals back.

For example, I had a woman lose her Cocker Spaniel mix dog. I saw the flyer and called her. When she gave me the location of where she lived, the dog could have been picked up by one of two groups of ACOs. I gave her both numbers and told her to go down personally to look for the dog. She told me she had already called them and they did not have her dog. I told her go back there and look personally since I have seen cage cards with the wrong information in the past. Sure enough, her dog was found in one of the cages after about 6 days after intake. (NJ hold only for 7 days.) The dog had a severe hip fracture. (I took the radiographs.) It probably would have been put down if the owner did not claim her. The owner was quite appreciative.
Old 07-21-2009
Field Operative

ACO in Greenville,TX is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a lady call that was looking for her calico cat. I told her I didn't have any calicos in the shelter. I did however have some torties so I asked her if her calico was the standard white, black, and orange. She said that her cat was grey. So I asked her if it was grey and orange (blue tort or blue calico is what we call them), she said that it was grey with black stripes.

So yeah, make sure you suggest people come down to take a look and really question them about markings and such when they call.

Oh and we didn't have her cat.
Old 07-21-2009
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO in Greenville,TX View Post
I had a lady call that was looking for her calico cat. I told her I didn't have any calicos in the shelter. I did however have some torties so I asked her if her calico was the standard white, black, and orange. She said that her cat was grey. So I asked her if it was grey and orange (blue tort or blue calico is what we call them), she said that it was grey with black stripes.

So yeah, make sure you suggest people come down to take a look and really question them about markings and such when they call.

Oh and we didn't have her cat.
Sounds like a grey tabby to me.....but yeah, always best to have the owner come and look. They know their animal best!
Old 07-28-2009
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

To ID dog breeds go to www.akc.org, then go to events and awards search and search for dog shows in your state. You can attend the shows, spend time ringside and I'm sure you'll meet some handlers that would be happy to tell you about their breed. You'll learn about variations, different colors, different coat types, personalties of the dogs.

For instance, some breeds are supposed to be shy around strangers, but are loving and friendly with family. Good to know for that stray you're trying to catch.

And learning color and coat oddities is important too. Did you know there are wire haired vizslas? Long haired weimaraners? silver labs? Silver colored dobermans (just explained to one of our new employees that the purebred dobe was not a weim mix, it was a fawn dobe). Belgians come in a variety of coats and colors...Lakenois, Tevruren, Groendael, Malinois, etc.

Also, UKC has quite a few shows around the country too.

And Purina will send out a free breed ID poster. AKC charges something like $5, although if you beg and plead, they may send you a free one.

MB
Old 07-28-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

The gray calico with the black stripes is a new one to me, but it doesn’t surprise me in the least. We get some poor dogs in here that nobody can figure out what they are. From one angle they may look like a Lab, but from another they may look like some kind of Shepherd, then the next person in the room will see Terrier.

We used to get in a dog every now and then that everybody called a Pit. Well, everybody but the owner that is. To the owner that dog was his Rhodesian Ridgeback. We have another older man who has a “Pure bred Pit Bull”, but nobody else sees pit in it, we all see Shep mix.

You know the old saying, it’s in the eye of the beholder.