ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 07-18-2009
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road
Default Animal Breeds/ Age

I have trouble trying to estimate the age and breeds of dogs and cats when I'm trying to fill out an impound card, I am terrible with breeds and ages. How do you know what breed and age they are? any advice to help me with this.
Old 07-18-2009
Almighty ACO

kgill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kgill

age wise.. you can ususally tell by the teeth... as far as breed.. you may just have to get a book with the breeds listed (with photos) in it... and just "study" it...

LOCK UP YOUR BEAGLE ---VICK'S AN EAGLE!!!

"In GOD we trust, all others we run through NCIC"
Old 07-19-2009
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

As far as aging a dog...I was taught by a vet how to do this, so that might be a good resource for you. It is easier to do this when the dog is young....once they get older, it is more difficult to nail down exact age. It is okay to use approximations, i.e. the dog is between 5-7 years of age.

Hopefully Dr. Negrin sees this, and gives more exact info for you....she rocks!

As far as breeds...learn the ones that you commonly deal with in your community first. AND, get a good breed book to help you with the ones you do not commonly see everyday.
Old 07-19-2009
Kennel Commander

Thanks guys!
Old 07-19-2009
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Animal Planet has dog shows on weekend mornings. I still watch them, especially the groups I'm not too familiar with, like Toy and Sporting.

A good -- and fun -- resource is "The Mutt Book" by David Alderton. I got it at Barnes & Noble. It's great for those odd mixes (which I get A LOT more often than the purebreds.)
Old 07-19-2009
Kennel Commander

What about cat breeds? Calico, tort, tabby, etc. Also aging a baby opossum guessing about 6 weeks old or 9 weeks old.
Old 07-20-2009

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

In regards to age I think getting a book, or posting a big breed poster on the processing room wall would help...or move here, pit bull, rottweiler, chihuahua is all you need to know lol

Last edited by shawnee2630; 07-20-2009 at 01:54 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-20-2009
Forum Friend

Krypto is on a distinguished road

As far as the dog and teeth thing goes, I was told a dog will turn anyone into a liar in a second. THe wear on their teeth can vary based on health, food, conditions, and even the type of chew toys they are given as the grow. There is no universal method and like children, baby teeth will fall out at different times from child to child (my 9yo still has baby teeth?) A best guess is all anyone can make unless the dog comes with a born on date on its belly.
Old 07-20-2009
Probationary Trainee

assweetasbrandy is on a distinguished road
Talking

They really make you write down the age of opposums? Here if its wildlife its marked as unknown. I can't imagine tryin to check the teeth on those guys! lol Course most of the times we just relocate them if they aren't injured and then we don't have to fill out an impound card. I think dogs are easier to age then cats, besides when in doubt we tend to mark the dog's as Shepard...they are always X even if you know its a full blooded the system still marks it as a X. (Actually had a guy the other day think he adopted a beagle-X- That the X was a type of breed!) I've had some doozies to identify! I love it when owners come in and you get to find out if your aging/breed was correct! I think with most locations you get a common breed that you'll see over and over....So it's fun when you get one that stumps you!
Old 07-20-2009
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC626 View Post
What about cat breeds? Calico, tort, tabby, etc. Also aging a baby opossum guessing about 6 weeks old or 9 weeks old.
Cat breeds can be a pain in the arse!! We usually use DSH, DMH, or DLH, and go by the markings and colors, unless it is extremely obvious the cat is a siamese, persian, maine coon, etc. There is so much cross breeding out there that it is extremely hard to determine what is what exactly.