ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 07-22-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Roxie, Iíve been doing this stuff a long time, and I have never had occasion to need one for defense. However, I have had OC the majority of the time that Iíve been an ACO, so when I have a situation of one on a pole and another one or two taking offense to that, I just hose the others down and they forget all about protecting the first. When I didnít have OC, I would simply pop a leash at them like a whip, and it seems to work OK in that I have never been bitten in one of those situations.

However, there are a dozen other uses for a bite stick that have nothing to do with defense, and thatís why I want a bite stick for Christmas. The new law does require an ACO to pass a state certified bite stick course BEFORE we can legally carry one, and I know that TAACO advertises that theirs is certified, but the city ainít gonna send me to Giddings and pay a fee of $125 just so I can have a handy little tool to help slip a leash on a skittish dog. I hope they will have a course at the TACA conference this year.

9769, the NACA bite stick training course is supposed to be quite good, it may have some suggested SOPs for use.
Old 07-22-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

TX_ACO_Troy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TX_ACO_Troy Send a message via Skype™ to TX_ACO_Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie View Post
I don't see why ACO's think they need a bite stick
Ok, from your point of view. You pull up control pole in hand. A dog approaches you and you get pole on it. Then suddenly another dog (or dogs) comes around the corner dead set on ripping into you...you no longer have the use of your control pole...what will you do? Well if carrying a bite stick you have a second tool at your disposal to defend yourself.

Every day I find new uses for it. Tripping traps, sliding animals and objects out of small spaces, breaking windows when animals are in a hot car or abandoned house, and so much more.

Its really a useful thing to have.
Old 07-22-2009
Kennel Commander

downsouth is an unknown quantity at this point

Well to start with I wanted one thought how could you not? But after 4 years of it I really haven't needed it. And if dogs are coming for me and I have one on the pole I use it and pole to ward off the other dgs until I can seek shelter. I do agree the bite stick would be a good tool to use for other things. What length do you guys use?
Old 07-22-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

26" and 21". At this moment I am using a 26" and it comes in handy for getting animals out of car engines, under beds, etc where I can't reach. Just push them with the side until they move out where they can be grabbed.
Old 07-22-2009
Forum Friend

AMB is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok they passed the law but as I said I still don't see why one is needed if you have a control pole. I still think you're asking for trouble with them especially if you don't get proper traiing. Even if you do get the training that doesn't always mean that the officer is going to go by what he is taught. Sorry I know I got on my soap box.
Old 07-22-2009
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_ACO_Troy View Post
"Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six..."
I think they are a valuable tool, altho it bugs me that they are called a bite stick.... They should be called an ASP or baton, which is really what they are, and officers should be REQUIRED to have training to carry them.

Not having training is ASKING for a lawsuit. And since officers are not EXEMPT from being held civilly responsible, if you use one without training and kill or injure a dog or person, you might be handing over the keys to your home... car... or maybe your future paychecks for who knows how long.

And, without proper training AND REGULAR PRACTICE, if you deploy one on the wrong person, you may have it taken away from you and get your butt handed to you.

Training, practice, skill, education... may it lead to a new PROFESSIONALISM for ACO's.
Old 07-22-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_ACO_Troy View Post
"Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six..."
You know the new law only allows for defense against animals, but if/when I ever get one, if somebody pulls a kinfe on me, I may very well break their hand with that thing.
Old 07-22-2009
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie View Post
I don't see why ACO's think they need a bite stick. Our ACO's are taught to get out of the truck with a control pole in hand. Why would you need anything else.
We would not get out of the truck with a control pole on calls where we are doing an investigation or handling quarantines. A sure way to get people riled up over a minor complaint about dog feces in a neighbor's yard or to make them think you're hauling their dog away because it nipped the vet tech during treatment is to show up on their doorstep with the control pole.

All our officers who have received the proper training carry the 26" airweight ASP baton in the ASP sidebreak type scabbard so it can be carried at an angle. The thing that's used a lot for self defense against dogs is the metal clipboard which is normally already being carried in your hands. For us the ASP is used more as a tool then a weapon.

Jeff
Old 07-22-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

Fullbite is on a distinguished road

Ive never used my ASP in defense of an animal. Ive been trained to carry it when I went thru Law Enforcement training. Ive pulled it out but never hit anything with it. I wouldnt want to be without it though. I do use it for other things from time to time.
Old 07-23-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixbyFire View Post
We would not get out of the truck with a control pole on calls where we are doing an investigation or handling quarantines. A sure way to get people riled up over a minor complaint about dog feces in a neighbor's yard or to make them think you're hauling their dog away because it nipped the vet tech during treatment is to show up on their doorstep with the control pole.
So true. Most people don't recognize a collapsed baton on your belt, but you walk up with your control pole you are far more likely to get a very negative response. Some people afraid of loosing their dog will not come to the door or bring a 12 gauge with them.

Last edited by TX_ACO_Troy; 07-23-2009 at 09:57 AM.