ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 07-17-2009
Probationary Trainee

ACO9769 is on a distinguished road
Default Bite Stick

Hi all, has anyone a copy of policies and procedures for using a bite stick?
I know training is available, but budget prevents us from seeking outside sources of training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you.
This is the principal difference between dog and man.
Old 07-20-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

TX_ACO_Troy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TX_ACO_Troy Send a message via Skype™ to TX_ACO_Troy

Primarily its the individual departments who make up their own policies and procedures. I know you can find the ASP power point online for human use.

http://www.asp-net.com/powerpoints/ABC_Baton_Basic.ppt
Old 07-20-2009
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

Okay, now I have to put on my administrator hat...

GET THE TRAINING! Please!!

I almost scream this out...because if you don't, and you use this, and get sued for using it, your agency will probably be ordered to write a check.

Please...get certified, officially, in the use of any weapons you are given for your protection.

At the very least, get some training through your police department if you can...they should have an officer that is assigned training duties. They will usually do this for free too! Then note when you did the training, and have the officer sign off that you did it, and place copy in your personel file.
Old 07-21-2009

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Just try to insist on good training, the first day I trained with mine my hands were throbbing and I even took a hit on the forearm when blocking strikes from weapons with my baton, the second day we had to do push ups if we dropped it when deploying, then we did team strikes on dummies. It was good training and when it comes to a situation where you need it for defense you will appreciate having that. BTW Last night I was dealing with a problematic owner (correctional officer for CDC) and his G.Shepherd he threatened to sicc on another officer less then a year ago, well this time the dog was off leash in a park and he came after me, I stuck him in the muzzle one good time as he came around my rear to bite and that dog ran away like he saw a ghost. I was suprised, I don't get that reaction from truly aggressive pits. But to be really defensive, always bring your pole, train in some moves with that, some pole thrusts, strikes. Its like a five foot baton. Don't ever rely on a ASP to save your AS*
Old 07-21-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road
Default I know a local dept. that was...

I know a local group of ACO's that was just handed these weapons (ASP)- no training, no policy, no procedure.....no thank you. Just like chicago said. Training, training, training.
Old 07-22-2009

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Wow, here in Cali, a expandable baton is considered a deadly weapon. If you are carrying one of these without proper certification or authority to do so, it is a felony. It is a deadly weapon, if you hit a person in the head with it, it could kill them, a thrust to the sternum could as well. That is too bad, with ACO's all it takes is one to make HSUS release a report saying we shouldnt have them...like tasers and sexy shorts to wear in summer time...ha hah just kidding on that last one, just bringing humor to the table
Old 07-22-2009
Kennel Commander

downsouth is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah same in New Zealand they are classed as dangerous weapon. We are allowed to carry them providing we have the correct training and only use them on animals. We cannot use them to defend against humans. We don't carry them as it there has never been a need. If you get out of the truck you grab a catch pole. I have size 11 boots if I need to get a dog away. I'm still trying to stop the boss here wearing shorts should be a crime against good taste!
Old 07-22-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

TX_ACO_Troy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TX_ACO_Troy Send a message via Skype™ to TX_ACO_Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
We cannot use them to defend against humans
"Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six..."
Old 07-22-2009
Forum Friend

AMB is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see why ACO's think they need a bite stick. Our ACO's are taught to get out of the truck with a control pole in hand. Why would you need anything else. The control pole is longer and you're able to keep more distance between you and the dog. Unless you are trained to use it you can do more harm than good. Also if I'm not mistake (correct me on this "Getting Too Old") you have to be a certified peace officer and certified in the state of Texas to be able to carry a bite stick. I think they are trying to pas a law where ACO's can carry a bite stick here in TX but I can tell you our dept will not be carrying them/
Old 07-22-2009
Probationary Trainee

ACO9769 is on a distinguished road

I appreciate everyone's input, however what I am looking for are written policies and/or procedures from other agencies. Someone must have written policies if they are allowed to carry a baton for protection against agressive dogs.

Roxie: The State of Texas has passed a law then included ACO in the list of persons allowed to carry a baton. The bill became effective immediately and reads as follows:
The provisions of Sections 46.02 and 46.03 prohibiting
the possession or carrying of a club do not apply to an animal
control officer who holds a certificate issued under Section
829.006, Health and Safety Code, and who possesses or carries an
instrument used specifically for deterring the bite of an animal
while the officer is in the performance of official duties under the
Health and Safety Code or is traveling to or from a place of duty.
DSHS will now be required to teach it in Basic.