ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Job Openings

Old 07-09-2009
Probationary Trainee

assweetasbrandy is on a distinguished road
Talking Where is the best state/town to work in?

So while I have been working as an ACO for only a short time now and absolutely loving it!!! I know that sooner or later I will have to move to another town so that I can afford to stay in this proffession. I am planning to try and stay at this location for 1 more year. So my question is...Where is the best place to be an ACO. I realize everytown has its downsides...but I can't live off and raise my family on $8/hr. So I figure I have a year to search it out...Where do you believe the best place is to be an ACO and/or what places pay the best? Thanks for your imput!!
Old 07-09-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Well, around this area, our pay is generally quite a bit better than $8, housing is comparatively affordable and we have no state income tax. Iíve gotten out of the habit of posting job openings, but maybe Iíll start up again.

One thing though, if you like snow, bring pictures.
Old 07-09-2009
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road

Los Angeles County Animal Control, you'll never have a dull day with them. Most animal control agencies/ police departments in the Los Angeles area pay their ACOs approx. $16-$20 depending on the agency.
Old 07-10-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road
Default that rate of pay is ridiculous...

That is a terrible rate of pay. I had an opportunity to go to Ft Wayne AC&C but was not interested in moving there even though pay would have better but not far enough south for me. It is apparently a good place to work and hopefully you can find both a good place and a better paying job.
Old 07-10-2009
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

We were looking at other cities/counties pay awhile back. Henderson county (you know that town before getting to las vegas NV) Pays there Acos Dam well. around 50k a year with Naca 1 and cruelty 1 course. But thats just what i read. I cant confirm it.
Old 07-11-2009
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

$8 an hour?!? Minimum wage is $7.25! Just show you what they think of Animal Control in that area. You could probably beat that after 6 months working at McDonalds (with a lot less stress too)..."you want fries with that?"

So. Cal pays pretty good but cost of living is also pretty high. You just have to run the numbers, pay, housing, taxes and other costs of living and see if it makes sense. Also, the way California is right now there's places laying off people so I think you'd have a hard time finding any place that is hiring. As GTO said Texas might be a better choice, and you don't have the liberal left politicians trying to tax you into oblivion and screw with your rights to deal with.
Old 07-11-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I couldn’t find any ACO positions in the immediate area, but I did find this from the City of Ft. Worth;

DROVER
PARKS AND COMMUNITY SERVICES
SALARY: $13.09 Hourly
ANN#: N68-13
CLOSING DATE: Friday, July 24, 2009
LOCATION/ADDITIONAL INFO: PARKS AND COMMUNITY SERVICES - FORT WORTH HERD

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma or GED PLUS two (2) years of responsible experience in horseback riding, cattle handling, and educational programming or tourism related activity. Extensive team work and public contact required. Selected candidate must be willing to work weekends and holidays.

Working Conditions: Indoor and outdoor environments; exposure to extremes in weather conditions; work around moving vehicles and animals; exposure to dust, fume, and noise.

OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Essential and marginal functions require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing and walking for extended periods of time; moderate and heavy lifting and carrying; pulling, reaching, bending, climbing and kneeling; use of fingers, both hands and both legs required; adequate speech, vision and hearing required; must be able to operate assigned equipment.

MISC. REQUIREMENTS: Bilingual skills - Spanish/English is preferred.

JOB DESCRIPTION: Candidate should possess a strong ability to ride horses, practice low-stress cattle handling and demonstrate adequate public speaking skills. Knowledge of livestock handling and maintenance required.

This position is responsible for the direct care of horses and cattle, operation and maintenance of equipment, driving cattle, interacting with visitors and presenting educational programs to children and adults.

$100K will get you a 1300 sq ft 3-2-2, and if your not too terribly picky there are a bunch of livable places available for $50K - $75K. Animal friendly apartments start around $500.
Old 07-12-2009

TOPDOG2E is on a distinguished road

I'm in ohio it's not to bad if you like the snow. the pay isn't to bad except for the b/s politics. I'm at the Mahoning County Dog Wardens Office in Youngstown Ohio and we might be hiring a couple people in the next few months. Starting pay is 12 hr with a cost of living raise every year about 3%.
after about 5 to 6 years you might be at about 16 hr maybe more we are involved with the Fraternal Order of Police and we might be dealing with Humane Laws in the next few months. every time they ad to your job describtion your pay goes up. I've been here for almost 4 yrs and I make 12.36 HR I should be up to about 16 -17 hr but we have been working on our contract for the last 3 yrs. But if I had to pick I would go to Florida in a minute. If you want to get some god experience and play with crazy pitbulls all day Mahoning County Dog wardens office is were to go. You can call me at 330-740-2205 ext 8164 if you want information on a job applicatiion. Cost of living is very cheap. Good luck
Old 07-13-2009

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

City OF Berkeley, CA just sent our agency a hiring notice. They are hiring for ACO starting at 4600/mo to 4906/mo, we get paid pretty good up here in NorCal as well. Cost of living is very high, temp ranges from 45-80 degrees year round, its bay area so its overcast a lot but very nice, the city is upper middle class so I assume its a pretty good gig, I may apply myself. If you don't know where it is, think Cal Bears or just east of Oakland, don't let that deter you, I was in an acadamy with a sup. from Oakland and he told me just east oakland is bad the rest is pretty nice and when we got to talking we do way more narly stuff then they get. I visit Berkeley often and it is a college town around 300,000 if that and its mostly college kids and hippies. VERY POLITICAL though..
Old 07-14-2009
Forum Friend

vylentgrrl is on a distinguished road

ACO's are making $12 an hour. Horrible politics, high cost of living, bare minimum equipment, mediocre support from HPD, hippie idiots from the mainland, racist Hawaiian locals and rich smug bastards who expect favors in return whenever they donate a penny.