ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

View Poll Results: How do you feel about eating meat?
I'm a Vegan or Vegetarian (No meat at all). 2 5.71%
I'm a Pescetarian (The only meat I'll ever eat is seafood). 3 8.57%
I don't like the idea of eating animals but I do it anyway. 1 2.86%
I'm pretty much a carnivore and I'm okay with that. 29 82.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2006
Certified Posting ACO

Socrates
Default Why eat meat? Vegetarian? Pescetarian?

Other than a mere general opposition to animal cruelty, do any of you have any interesting stories or specific reasons why you've chosen to abstain from meat?

Also, for those out there who decide to still eat seafood instead of going the strict veggie route, any reasons why you choose food from the sea but not from the land?

For the rest of you, Why eat meat?
Old 09-17-2006
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3

Nuff said....
Old 09-17-2006
Certified Posting ACO

Socrates
Default Diet and the Bible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caninelaw
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3

Nuff said....
I appreciate you quoting biblical scripture to explain why you eat meat, and I'm definitely okay with it anytime someone uses scripture to explain why they believe or act in a certain way. I know your post wasn't malicious at all, and I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to my post and share with us all why you choose to eat meat.

I would encourage you, though, to pay close attention to the entire passage involved and its actual implications, not just the one line about eating animals. In my own life's experience, I've realized that people, pastors, and churches so often use certain words and phrases in the scriptures to support certain arguments--sometimes quoting them in ways inconsistent with their meanings if they're read in context. Unfortunately this is one of the many ways religion gets a bad name and one of the ways the meaning of the Word gets skewed over time. Please let me share some thoughts with you on the specific verse you mentioned.

You quoted Gen. 9, verse 3, but verse 2 actually explains what is meant by verse 3. Together, chapter 9, verses 2 and 3 say:

Quote:
2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand. 3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs.
Remember that this is supposed to be God talking to Noah and his sons right after the Great Flood. In verse 1 he actually sort of orders them to multiply the entire earth. So, the "fear" and "dread" of man by animals is God pointing out the simple reality that the animals from the ark will always have to fear the might of humankind (Noah and his family specifically), and that animals will always be subjected to human authority. This is also a foreshadowing of things to come since the human descendants of Noah will eventually populate the entire planet. And as history teaches us, every single time a section of the earth is populated by humans thousands of animals lose their lives through loss of habitat, fur trade, or the food industry.

God says Animals are "given into your hand." Wouldn't it make sense to interpret this as God entrusting to man the lives of all living creatures? This is an early biblical lesson in good stewardship over God's creation. This is one of the central themes to Judaism and Christianity, and it is echoed hundreds of times throughout the bible.

Remember that while God says in Genesis that every moving thing shall be food for mankind, God does NOT say every moving thing MUST be food for mankind. Obviously the acts of hunting animals and eating meat are spoken of often in the bible, especially in the Old Testament, but at times certain animals are restricted as food and at other times certain animal parts are restricted as food.

So, the question is: Does the verse you've mentioned here give us a free pass to kill and eat any moving thing without any limitations whatsoever? The rest of the bible seems to indicate that this isn't really the case at all.

While eating well-cooked meat might be okay, being a bad steward over God's gifts to man is NOT okay. So, view the modern implications of this concerning animals and eating meat. Are modern factory farming techniques (often proven less than humane) consistent with the tenants of good stewardship over God's creation? What about some of the most inhumane of these practices such as the production of veal or foie gras?

And to take it even further... If we are privileged enough to live in a society where we actually have a choice in the matter (a choice to either support mass incarceration and killing of animals for food or to abstain from eating meat), which choice is truly more consistent with God's plan for us, God's plan for creation, and God's vision of a good steward?

Just something to think about. Oh, and one more thing for your thinking pleasure: Genesis 9, verse 4 reads

Quote:
4 But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.
Ever eaten rare or medium steak?

Thanks again for the response and discussion!
If anyone wants to view Gen, Chapter 9, click on the link:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...9;&version=50;
Old 09-17-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
I just think it's kinda messed up, though, whenever someone quotes a single line and ignores the entire passage involved and its actual implications.
Go gently, brother, be gentle. Your post makes excellent points both theologically and logically, and you obviously have thought a lot about this issue. Love is, however, the chief virtue, not knowledge ... and love of animals includes the human part.

Myself, I am a fish-i-tarian, although I have continuing desire to become vegan ... I feel that net food is, as the Dalai Lama says, one more variety of creature that avoids pain and seeks happiness. But I'm not there yet, and it took me until I was 40 to become even fish-i-tarian (this after being unable to eat turkey on Thanksgiving when I was eight, because it bothered me on some infant level -- talk about taking your time to act your beliefs). Sometimes we do what we know is wrong. Sometimes we believe wrong things. Just another thing Christ (thank God) forgives us for. If we have the will -- meaning the heart, the actual, real desire -- to do better, I think (being a C.S. Lewis fan) that Christ is always willing to forgive our lack of ability to carry our heart's desire where we would like it to go.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 09-17-2006
Kennel Commander

Poopahbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Poopahbit

I am a Pescetarian (Vegetarian+Seafood) and I really can honestly say that I feel 200% healthier now than when I did eat meat. My reasons for being a pescetarian are that I don't want any land animal to die just so I can eat it and because I want to be healthier. A long time ago, when it was the hip thing to do, I was on the Atkins diet. Everyone knows that's basically a meat and cheese diet. I did it for a year and I can tell you first hand that I feel so much better now than when I was on that diet. I don't particularly enjoy the taste of meat after not eating it for so long. I do it because I love animals and because my health is important to me. Besides, my favorite foods on the planet are vegetables so it works out for me

I do believe that the Bible gives us Christians the option to eat meat and I just make the conscious choice not to eat it.

I also think beer is an important part of any diet

Elisabeth

~Edmund Burke
Old 09-17-2006
Certified Posting ACO

Socrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopahbit
I do believe that the Bible gives us Christians the option to eat meat and I just make the conscious choice not to eat it.

I also think beer is an important part of any diet

Elisabeth
I couldn't agree more with both of these statements.
Right On!

Life--and religion--are all about choices. I think that when we educate ourselves and do some soul searching, we will tend to become wiser and then able to make the correct decision as it is revealed to us through reason, understanding, and conviction.

I've always been seriously suspect of the Atkins diet. It makes people lose weight, that is undeniable, but cutting out so much of the healthy stuff never seemed too--well--healthy to me.

Thanks so much for sharing. And thanks for sharing the Guinness as well!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-17-2006
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopahbit
... I was on the Atkins diet. Everyone knows that's basically a meat and cheese diet. I did it for a year and I can tell you first hand that I feel so much better now than when I was on that diet.
I went on Atkins once when I was 17. OMG how I started to crave and I mean CRAVE greens and potatoes. Us Scots-Irish ... not good at the meat thing. We've had so little in our recent history ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 09-18-2006
Certified Posting ACO

Socrates

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! The thing about the vegan diet is that it's so strict; it would seem overwhelming to me. I have so much respect for people that can go without any products that have eggs, cheese, milk, stuff like that. I think going the freerange/organic route is a lot more realistic, at least for me. I love cheese, I'd never give it up.

It's funny that you mentioned a thanksgiving turkey when you were 8 years old. I don't mean it's funny (ha ha), but what I mean is that I've been hearing/reading a lot of stories like that lately. Seems really amazing that at such a young age our moral compass is working, and then through years of environmental conditioning our behavior and thoughts can take us a different route. Glad you are feeling more on track these days, though.

Humans are amphibians - half spirit and half animal. As spirits they belong to the eternal world, but as animals they inhabit time.
C. S. Lewis
Old 09-18-2006
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
I think going the freerange/organic route is a lot more realistic, at least for me. I love cheese, I'd never give it up.
Here, here ... I'm trying to convince all the people around me with pet chickens to give me eggs. I haven't figured out the dairy thing yet, except to make my own cheese from the local Francisan animal shelter's milk -- which is unreliable, to say the least (thank God some more). Fish, fish, fish. I love mine. I would sooner eat sawdust. But oysters, crabs, little shrimpies ... oh, dear. I am kinder to flies and mosquitos ...

Old 09-18-2006
Kennel Commander

thexplodingirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to thexplodingirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell
Quote:
I think going the freerange/organic route is a lot more realistic, at least for me. I love cheese, I'd never give it up.
Here, here ... I'm trying to convince all the people around me with pet chickens to give me eggs. I haven't figured out the dairy thing yet, except to make my own cheese from the local Francisan animal shelter's milk -- which is unreliable, to say the least (thank God some more). Fish, fish, fish. I love mine. I would sooner eat sawdust. But oysters, crabs, little shrimpies ... oh, dear. I am kinder to flies and mosquitos ...
Cathy (you met her) gives me and any close friends eggs from her chickens. Let me tell you, once you've had them - you can never go back. She also makes goat cheese and goat soap (which she promised me some to help me with some skin problems I hope, caused by detergent in store soap).
I personally was vegan for about 9 months and realized I was doing it to be "hip". My heart wasn't really in it, and I went back to my carnivorous ways. I did still have a real bad time eating anything with bones in it, which I have come to be able to do normally most of the time. I think eating meat is perfectly ok for humans. Look at the Native Americans - they would utilize every part of the animals they've raised, it was the "circle of life" if you will. I think that's perfectly normal and acceptable for some people.
Though I still don't think I can raise my own meat-animals *cathy raises some meat goats, along with her pets and milk and breeding goats* but I don't shame people for doing so. I think homegrown would be the way to go, as factories have a lot of shameful practices.

Speaking of dairy.
I developed a violent allergy to eggs 2 years ago. Every time I ate eggs my throat swelled up and itched, and I invariably puked out the contents of my stomache within 1/2 hr of eating them. For the past two years I've been avoiding eggs like the plague. Last week I ate 1 egg as a test, and I was fine. I ate 1 egg the next day and I was fine. Then Corey made omlettes for dinner with produced a mild version of the allergic reaction, but other than that I was fine. This morning I had Cathy's eggs as opposed to store bought eggs, and I was still fine. It's a bright new day for me. You have no idea how disappointing breakfast has been for me the past 2 years...
Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that dog.