ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 07-28-2012
Probationary Trainee

neko_brains is on a distinguished road
Default What more can I do?

It is my goal to someday become an ACO or humane officer, but I just can't seem to land the job. I have applied to many positions and have been turned down on each one. Some I went further in the hiring process than others, but all ended in rejection. I completed the Basic Humane Academy, have a BA in Criminal Justice and some volunteer experience. This is extremely frustrating because my hard work has not paid off. Just wondering is some current ACO's can give me some advice on how they got the job. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2012
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_brains View Post
......this is extremely frustrating because my hard work has not paid off. Just wondering is some current ACO's can give me some advice on how they got the job. Thanks!
First - your hard work is paying off. The more you interview the better you get. YOu need to always learn something from everything you do - even if its a negative. Everytime you interview your getting knowledge and practice on the questions that are asked and the type of reactions to your answers.

Second - I don't know where your applying but if you can afford to get your NACA cert - that will help you. I hate to say it because for the most part I think the NACA thing is a bad execution of a good idea. However - most agencies I see these days want that certification.

Third - Again, not sure where your applying but if your not willing to move then your limiting yourself. Apply everywhere and anywhere that is hiring and go get the job. You need to research the departments your applying to. Find the news stories (TV and Paper)and use them to answer the questions they ask. Make sure you have a couple good questions to ask in return when given the chance.. ie -

"What is the biggest challenge your department is dealing with right now or in the immediate future"

If your not researching your not really interested in my opinion. When I am interviewing someone and I am not busy writing notes - your not impressing me.....
Old 07-29-2012
Forum Friend

Location: From NYC then was cop in FLA moved to TX and love protecting animals
dogcop51 is on a distinguished road

Wow Half That was Dead on
Old 07-30-2012
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcop51 View Post
Wow Half That was Dead on
Thanks Bro - Guess I have learned a few things this past decade in the business.....LOL
Old 07-30-2012
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Volunteer if possible. Not only will you gain experience and see if this really is what you want (it ain't what you see on Animal Planet!) but you'll meet people in the profession. Knowing someone -- or even someone who knows someone -- can get your resume to the top of the pile.
Old 07-31-2012
Probationary Trainee

I have volunteered before, but I am going to start doing it again. My neighbor/friend is an ACO so I was surprised I didn't get the job. I heard they hired people with experience in the field. This is frustrating because how am I supposed to get experience if no one will hire me in the first place? I thought the certificate and volunteer experience would help as well as my Criminal Justice degree, but I guess it just isn't good enough.

BTW I am in the San Francisco Bay area in Contra Costa County. I have applied to numerous agencies around here. I don't know how I can apply any place further because I don't have money to move. Just a very bad situation right now.
Old 09-24-2012
Kennel Commander

ErinKelleher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ErinKelleher Send a message via Yahoo to ErinKelleher

I think your biggest obstacle is that a lot of shelters simply aren't hiring, or if they are, it's only 1 or 2 positions, and they will want to take someone with experience, because of less training that will be involved. I had applied and gotten through to the end of every hiring process at several shelters, before I landed my first position. I think I've seen some of the SoCal shelters hiring postions here and there, if you know someone that lives in this are to apply and interview, and maybe crash until your pay comes in to get your own place?
Old 12-29-2012
Probationary Trainee

RedAkaACO is on a distinguished road

I know I am stepping in a little late here, but since the hiring process is very slow and tedious, you may still find use in my advice.

I was hired for my current job as an ACO in October of 2011. I was number 4 on the county's civil service list.

Here's the kicker; I took the civil service test in March of 2008. It took 3 years and a pair of serendipitous events for my current job to land in my lap. This is even with my many years of Animal Control experience.

Best bet is to bookmark your nearby government agencies. Most civil service exams are announced online these days.

Some large cities, like New York City, use a contract agency to handle animal control. Contract agencies can have the same level of salary and benefits, just without having to glean off a civil service list for hiring. Beware, that some agencies are at-will employers, and may not have competitive salaries or benefits. That in mind, they may hire someone less experienced, and may help you get some experience under your belt.

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2013
Probationary Trainee

Thank you for the advice. I have yet to land a job, and I am starting to think my personality might be the problem. I got some feedback from a woman who I interviewed with and she told me my resume looked great but I did not come off as confident. I have struggled with major depression for years so it has been a constant battle. I feel I would be able to handle the job once given the chance but the fact that no one seems interested in hiring me just makes me feel worthless.

PS- I recently took a physical agility test for an ACO position and failed to jump the 6 ft. solid wall. Got over the cyclone fence but not solid. It seems they are making the physical test more difficult so this is yet something else I need to work on. (I heard you need to pass the police academy upon being hired)..
Old 02-03-2013
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_brains View Post
(I heard you need to pass the police academy upon being hired)..
The physical test (or even the existance of a physical test) vary from dept. to dept. Requirements are different in every state. What state are you in? If we know where you're looking we can better tailor our advice. (For example: I'm in Florida. DO NOT take the NACA cert. if you're looking here. We use FACA, and NACA would just be a waste of money.)