ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 07-04-2009
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Something told me I should not have jinxed myself and replied to this thread.

My Health Officer called me this morning regarding a problem with a dog he was watching. I ran to my office to look something up before answering him. When I called him back, he told me the ACO on duty had a dying cat up at the shelter. I was called up to examine/transport the cat to my office. The police had the road to/from my hospital blocked off since they do a soap box car race for the kids down my street (including the front of my office). I had to tell them that I needed access to my hospital; at least to the parking spaces half a block up (the streets were blocked off for one block out from the main in either direction and the rest of the streets were already filled with parked cars). Thank God, I knew the cops on duty; they granted me access to that street and I got the cat back to the office.

The cat is old and probably won't make it. We try the best we can to save all animals since we are low kill. We (the ACO and I) are giving the cat until tomorrow to see if he turns around. If not, I'll have to euthanize him. On a good note, the cat that I thought I would be euthanizing today has made a turn around and looks like she is going to recover. Cats get something that is called fatty liver disease (hepatic lipidosis). The skin often turns yellow. The treatment is basically to get the cat eating again and supportive care. She looks much better today.

Hope the rest of you have a less busy day than I'm having. I have to go and spay the three TNR cats the trappers caught last night. I want to get them done before the fireworks begin!
Old 07-04-2009
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the jinx Still relaxing, getting ready for a hectic day in the field tomorrow...
Old 07-05-2009
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

At work now....dispatching since our dispatchers are off weekends (they work for another department). So far so good....not really busy, but man did we have alot of stuff left over to check from the night watch.

For us, in the field, the 4th is crazy busy. The 5th is crazy busy in the shelter with people coming to check to see if their dog is here.
Old 07-05-2009

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Last year was terrible the day after, today isn't so bad. We average around 120-150 calls a day that make it in the system, so it really doesn't matter to us when it hits hard. We have our regular schedule for today, nothing extra, we have 2 officers on day, 1 on swing , 1 night and a standby
Old 07-05-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

I work in a few hours, 2nd shift runs a lot of bites and I suspect I will have a ton of them.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 07-05-2009
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

http://www.whiotv.com/news/19941464/detail.html
Old 07-05-2009
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road

Absolutely terrible!! 8 hour shift and only 1 call: A dead pigeon!! SLOW, even the police officers had very few calls. The station was quiet, the whole city was like a ghost town. No loose dogs in sight, what a drag it was...
Old 07-05-2009
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

33 dogs in from July 3 - July 4. Steady stream of lost & found both Saturday & Sunday. Lots of stray calls and bunches of dogs. Thankfully we sent some home quickly!

And the Director worked both days...
Old 07-08-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

TX_ACO_Troy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TX_ACO_Troy Send a message via Skype™ to TX_ACO_Troy

We have a no fireworks ordinance and a fire ban so the only fireworks were by the city crew on the river. I worked the night of the forth and only found two strays and we had a few police matters (the other ACO I ride with is a LEO also) so we weren't extreamly busy.
Old 07-08-2009
Field Operative

Tricia is on a distinguished road

ALthough we didnt schedule additional personnel on the 5th, we did expect to see an upturn in the number of lost pet/found stray calls received. Fortunately, we didnt have much going on this year as we have in years past!

I guess all my pet-safety-related press releases the two weeks leading up to the 4th actually worked this time!

Hope everyone had a good one.