ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 09-11-2006
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642
Default 9/11 I can't believe it's been 5 years

Wow, I can't believe five years have come and gone since that horrible day. I was watching some of the rememberences this moring and one of my local news stations was airing some footage of the day after at ground zero NY. I caught a glimpse of a pedestrian walkway that leads from the waterfront just north of Battery Park which was where my detail entered the scene late on day two (we actually caught a port police launch from the Jersey City side across the Hudson river). I was immediately transported back to that morning and two things came flooding back to my memory that day. Number one was the sounds, all you could hear were the sounds of generators droning powering the ligths that illuminated the area, and as you neared "The Pile" you could hear the "PASS" devices from the firefighters that were buried screeming from beneath the rubble. The other thing that immediately struck me was the smell. As a volunteer FF I had been to hundreds of fires and the smell was always pretty much the same, but this day, that smell....
it was completely alien to me. It was an incredibly acrid smell and a smell I don't think I'll ever forget.
I'm supposed to go up on Thurs. for a visit, I'm not certain that I really want to just yet. I'm going to wait and see how I feel Wed. night. I just felt the need to share this with someone so I figured why not with you guys.

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 09-11-2006
Certified Posting ACO

grasshopper
Send a message via Yahoo to grasshopper

I can not believe it has been 5 years either. It is still hard to watch or listen to anything relating to 9-11. I started to cry and got goose bumps when I was watching it on the news. They were showing videos, and I could not imagine how the people, that were there, how they felt. And how they probably felt helpless watching the towers go down. I still dont know what to think about it......