ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 07-02-2012
Provisional Posting ACO

Beast Master is on a distinguished road
Default When City ACO's come across Wildlife

As a Municipal Animal Control Officer, I patrol an entire city with population of 32 plus thousand by myself. In my jurisdiction we have city, country, marsh and river area as well. I know that I have dealt with more than I was trained to and sometimes just can't help but think "I wounder if other ACO's go threw this as well"?
I have dealt with cats,dogs, snakes, raccoons, opossums, bats, rats, Emu's, horses, goats,turkeys, deer, iguanas, and of course two legged animals (people) as well.
I have noticed in my area that the wildlife is slowly starting to attempt to come into the city and make residence here. We have raccons, opossusm, and occasionally, turkeys and on a very rare occasion, maybe rutting season, you will see a deer come into the city area. I wasn't sure if this is happening else where or maybe it could be the climate change and animals are trying to find more food source. What is your opinion on this and can you share your thoughts?

Thanks, for your time and effort

Respectfully,

ACO Beast Master.

Being a Public Servant is not easy, but we are the ones the public turns to when they need heros and or someone to complain about.
The Officer must always use discretion and do the best that he/she can and if necessary educate the public one way or the other.
This job is not for everyone, and not everyone can do what you can.
Old 07-03-2012
Field Operative

Dale4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait till you get the Bear, Coyote, Fox, and all the other critters we have in Northern New Jersey slipping on south. Fun isn't it???
Old 07-03-2012
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Wildlife is all around us, even in the city; the general public just often doesn't notice it. As an ACO, you will naturally get every call from every Nervous Nancy that sees a possum in their neighborhood, so it may seem they're on the increase, when most likely it's just a case of, you're being made aware of them more often.
Old 07-03-2012
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

I have handled ducks, geese, swans, coots, raptors of all kinds, sea gulls, pelicans, cormorants, grebes, rails, snakes (poisonous and non and exotic pets), lizards (wild & exotic pets), deer, coyotes, bobcats, sea lions, seals, dolphins, whales, elephant seals, opossums (who hasn't?), skunks (ditto), squirrels (ground and tree), weasels, vultures, raccoons, turkeys, bats, sharks, rays, Humboldt squid (up to 20 pounds or so) and probably a few more I can't think of right now.

It was this way from day one (25 years ago) and is this way now. And climate change (human caused) is bunk. Our sea level has been the same since day one in the field, I've seen it every day and there are no areas in our city that flood any more today then day one either.
Old 07-03-2012
Field Operative

mecritterlover is on a distinguished road

Yup..."Welcome to (insert state here)! We have wildlife here. If you provide food/water and/or shelter, they will come!
We get a lot of tourists...apparently they come from states devoid of wildlife...
I had one lady that was very upset that a greedy racoon was stealing the bread that she put out, clearly meant for the birds...and another that "paid good money for this summer home on the lake and wasn't going to share it with a bunch of wild animals", so I needed to "exterminate them all immediately"...hehehe...
Old 07-03-2012
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

LiHammy is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked in NJ for a few years and I made sure I had a few fish and game contacts in my phone for just such an emergency. a majority of the calls had to do with wildlife sprawl, I even had a few bear and cougar calls.
Network as best you can and find those people that can help you because your always going to get the calls of a raccoon in the attic or a snake in the car.
Old 07-03-2012
Shelter Survivor

fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road

The motto at my PD is very simple.

If it has fins, feathers, fur or scales, and it walks, crawls, swims, slithers or fly's call fyrdawg.

So yes I have seen animals wild and domesticated from day one. But I have noted that I get way more wildlife complaints and that I actually see way more wildlife now that I work in an urban setting.

Talk to a wildlife biologist, and they will tell you that many species like gray squirrels, foxes, racoons, opossums ect thrive in built up areas.

Stay Safe

Fyr