ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 06-27-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
No Kill means that they do not kill healthy/temperment sound animals for space. As it should be, in my opinion.
Often, but not always. I read one news report where the volunteer staff had filed suit against the director of a no-kill operation because he had euthanized what they felt was a perfectly healthy and adoptable dog. Many of them say they will not kill any ďadoptableĒ animal, but all too often adoptable is never defined. I think in this case the dog (I believe it was still a puppy) was euthanized because of its breed or potential size that would have made it harder to place.

Then on the other hand there are the true, what John Q Public thinks of as no-kill. Our local SPCA went no-kill, real no-kill. If they adopt out 5 animals on Monday, they will accept in 5 animals Tuesday. Appointments are necessary, and the animals are screened.

In 2007, there were approximately 62,000 animals that entered the shelters within 15 miles of mine. The national average for returning dogs to their ownerís is around 40%, so that leaves approximately 37,200 per year (104 per day figuring a 7 day week) that have to be moved somehow. I donít know about the other shelters, but at my place less than 10% of the incoming animals have health or behavior issues that would make them worthy of death, so to keep pace these shelters will have to place about 95 per day, every day, 365 days per year.
Old 06-27-2009
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
Then on the other hand there are the true, what John Q Public thinks of as no-kill. Our local SPCA went no-kill, real no-kill. If they adopt out 5 animals on Monday, they will accept in 5 animals Tuesday. Appointments are necessary, and the animals are screened.

So it is not a no kill shelter, it's a no kill, we take our pick, adoption agency. We ahve a shelter like that around here and I think that if you are going to call yourself an animal shelter, you can not pick and choose which animals you are and are not going to accept. These are the places that then turn around and compare their statistics to a county or city run shelter that does not have the option of picking and choosing which animals come through the door, because those shelters are actually there to provide a service to the public, and take care of the animals in it's communities.

If you are going to pick and choose what animals you are going to take in and refuse those that are marginal, vicious, sick, etc., then you have absoulutely no right to criticize the other shelters that have no choice and you should also be calling yourself a rescue and not a shelter.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,
Old 06-27-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aco30l13 View Post
So it is not a no kill shelter, it's a no kill, we take our pick, adoption agency. We ahve a shelter like that around here and I think that if you are going to call yourself an animal shelter, you can not pick and choose which animals you are and are not going to accept. These are the places that then turn around and compare their statistics to a county or city run shelter that does not have the option of picking and choosing which animals come through the door, because those shelters are actually there to provide a service to the public, and take care of the animals in it's communities.

If you are going to pick and choose what animals you are going to take in and refuse those that are marginal, vicious, sick, etc., then you have absoulutely no right to criticize the other shelters that have no choice and you should also be calling yourself a rescue and not a shelter.
Not all the time. Our shelter takes in over 6000 animals a year, we take in everything and anything, 24/7, 365 days a year. Animals are never turned away.

We always have more then 200 cats in our shelter and the highest we ever got was close to 500.

We have limited funds, not like our nieghbouring city shelter who gets millions from the government each year, yet still euth over 50% of what they bring in. Where is all this money going too?? certianly not to find resources in how to decrease euth rates. Probably to increase their $30.00 wage, or get 10 thousand dollars in equipment.

And on a side note. I have to comment on your comment about these shelters are there to provide a service to the public and that is to take care of the communities animals.

How is euthing heathy, sound animals taking care of the communities animals? I find it sad, that when people bring in strays and say to the staff, please find a great home for him/her. Having the thought of it is a animal shelter, a suppose haven for lost and abandoned animals. But the knowing staff know that they will just turn around and put that animal down, after the stray hold period is up. I have heard many times on here, people bringing in strays and the ACO just thinking, "oh it is going to be put down" in their head.

How come it is not stated to the person bringing the animal in, what it's fate is? Then you have to wonder why the public, our communites have such a negative perceptive on animal shelters, when we decieve the public into thinking that, that healthy animal will be waiting looking for it's forever home.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.

Last edited by Sunny; 06-27-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aco30l13 View Post
So it is not a no kill shelter, it's a no kill, we take our pick, adoption agency.
I like to think of them as over glorified pet stores.

At my place it is just myself and a PT records clerk. Since I catch em, feed em, clean up after em, euthanize em and get ride of the bodies, every now and then I get emotionally overwhelmed. I have seen days when I avoided problem areas (or simply look the other way), because I knew there was a 50/50 chance that I would have to kill anything I picked up.

It would be nice to simply close the doors when the cages are all full.
Old 06-28-2009
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Reading the comments reminded me of something that happened earlier this week at the shelter I work with. An older, thin animal was brought to our shelter by a Good Samaritan who stated she found this cat. We were nearly out of cages. The "adoption committee" did not want to take this cat in since we "had no room". The ACOs were in an uproar with the group. I was there and sided with the ACOs. We took in the cat. The argument occurred in front of the person bringing in the cat (not my choice of the ACOs since the adoption person told the woman that we could not take the cat in while the ACOs were making room). Since I was the shelter vet., the woman asked me if the cat would be "put down" since there was no room. I told the woman that it is the policy for me to evaluate the animals to see if they are ill. If it is something treatable and the animal is not suffering, we would tend to the animal and try to get it adopted but there were no guarantees. We are low kill, but not a no kill. The woman was very concerned about this fact and the leaving of the cat in our hands. I quoted my figures since I am the one that performs the euthanasias at this shelter. In the year that I have served the township, I have only euthanized 5 animals. Three of them were injured wildlife, one was a cat that became neurologic/blind before he dropped on his side and began crying, the last was a cat with two broken legs in multiple locations (the cat was also feral and would not allow handling without endangering someone's life). So good adoption programs do exist in municipal shelters but enough volunteers/employees are needed to make this successful. We have a pretty good group together but in the busy season, people forget that we are a municipal shelter and that we have to take in all animals and not only the cute, adoptable ones.

Most of our animals are adopted. We are lucky enough to have a dog trainer that comes to our shelter and volunteers his time to the shelter. I volunteer a lot more time than I am paid for as well since I enjoy helping the shelter. We do trap/neuter/release as well so we do not have to pick up feral cats (like some townships do) only to have them euthanized. The ferals are brought to my hospital, are spayed/neutered and then released back without having to occupy space at the shelter. Seriously injured animals/sick animals are brought to my office and kept there also freeing up space at the shelter. A good team can reduce euthanasias but unfortunately, it is a necessary evil. Also, some animals are really not adoptable no matter how much training/care is given to the animals.
Old 06-29-2009
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEG,

Wow, I am surprised that a Municipal shelter runs the way you do. It seems like you only euth sick/injured, agressive, and other circumstances that enable a animal being put up for adoption, and for good reason. Good for you. Most city shelters that I have come across euth over 50% of what they bring in, while getting millions from the government each year and spending money, in other ways and not trying to decrease their euth rate. Like I have said before, the city shelter role is too control the pet overpopuation, while more so then not, Humane Societies role is to save lives. Although there are som bad HS's out there.

This I understand and am not opposed of. It an animal is not deemed adoptable, have been worked with and ehuasted all other options, then the most humane thing to do is put the animal to sleep.

Like I said before, I am extremely happy with the shelter that I work for. We go beyond for every animal that we bring in. Whether domestic, wildlife, livestock, exotic.

We do not euth for cage space and our shelter is though highly of by our communtity because of it.

Alot of shelters seem to forget that when healthy sound/temperment animals are put down, communites frown that and less likely to have a positive impact within the shelter.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Last edited by Sunny; 06-29-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-29-2009
Forum Friend

Big Brown Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

While Winograd's claim that it is a failure of leadership that is the cause of euthanization rates being what they are the track record of his disciples here in Texas has been underwhelming to this point.

The most common tactic I'm seeing is to take measures to reduce the number of incoming animals (the fewer animals taken in the fewer to be placed the easier to reduce the kill rates). Onerous restrictions are placed on residents attempting to turn in stray and unwanted animals and field officers are given subtle directives to avoid picking up animals in the field....the backlash from the general public that simply wants the stray dog/cat that is tearing their trash up removed has the local politicians scratching their heads.

The shift is therefore from "Catch and Kill" to "Leave on the streets to die but feel better about it".

It will be interesting to see how economic conditions nationwide effect Mr. Wingrad's new paradigm.
Old 07-01-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
We have limited funds, not like our nieghbouring city shelter who gets millions from the government each year, yet still euth over 50% of what they bring in. Where is all this money going too?? certianly not to find resources in how to decrease euth rates. Probably to increase their $30.00 wage, or get 10 thousand dollars in equipment.

Sunny
What city is that? Iím not aware of any federal government funding available for an animal shelter, and the municipal shelters only get a (small) piece of that pie. As far as my place, with the exception of food and litter, I have to get virtually every purchase approved, and those are usually paid for out of donated funds and not budget funds.

I have a lot of trouble convincing my volunteers of that. I take care of my equipment, so it lasts for ever when itís just me. The volunteers on the other hand think nothing of damaging or losing some small equipment because in their household budget minds its just a $5 or $10 item, so they can just run down to the store and replace it. When I tell them that I only have $100 available for the YEAR to replace those things and they blew that in 2 months, they respond with ďYou just need to tell them you need more moneyĒ. Of course my only response it that 1, when I set up my budget for this year they told me to cut 10% so asking for more money ainít gonna happen. And 2, if I continually run over budget, they can very easily decide that they want somebody else who can stay within a budget.
Old 07-01-2009
Giga-posting ACO

GTO, it is a private City run shelter, which gets runned by the government and have 4 city run shelters in the city. One for East of the city, west of the city, north of the city, and south of the city. The city has over a million people. But I do know that they government gives them millions a year. This city also have a Humane Society as well. Their officers make around $30.00 an hour and their kennel staff make around $20.00 an hour.

Sorry I don't want to disclose the citys name.

Sunny

Last edited by Sunny; 07-01-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-01-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Dang! Dallas has a 1.3 million population but only 1 shelter. They must be a high dollar location.