ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 09-14-2006
Probationary Trainee

InHope82
Default Thank You

Hi Everyone~

My name is Candace Valentine, and my husband Robert is the person responsible for creating this film. He is also the man in the picture towards the very end who is sitting, head down, on the ground. Periodically I do a google search to see who is linking to our movie, partially out of curiosity, but most importantly to make sure that the truth is known about this movie. Robert is a pre-vet student who started working at a shelter about 3 years ago, and it's changed both him and I. The American Bulldog in the beginning of the movie with the terrible skin infection around her eye is the picture that hurts me the most. Her name is Big Momma and she is the sweetest girl in the world. She came into the shelter about a year ago and immediately fell in love with Robert. I used to go there once a week or so and visit her until she got adopted. She was returned because she was too much dog for the older people who adopted her, but on the bright side, they had taken very good care of her and helped her slight skin infection clear up. She was adopted again a few days later by another family. 7 months later, she was back at the shelter, looking like she did in that picture...totally neglected. Robert and the other staff called a local rescue who has taken her in and treated her infection fully. But still, that video makes me cry almost every time I've seen it. Our main goal with this movie is to spread it to the people who NEED to see it...we're the choir. We just have to get it in the "right" hands is all, then maybe we can have it broadcast somewhere. Thanks for all your kind comments and keep being the kind of people who are the solution. God bless and please, if you have any questions, just email us at inhope@brightlion.com.

Thanks,
Candace Valentine
Old 09-14-2006
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse

Thank you so much for sharing your story and the glimpse into the truth behind euthanasia throughout the US. It is a brave look at a problem so many shelters want to hide, and so many people do not want to acknowledge.

From those of us that actually hold the animals, and stay with them until the end, Thank you.

~K
Old 09-14-2006
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

Candace, just wanted to let you know that I posted this video in a sticky thread on a website where I moderate a group about dogs, and I also sent it to my mother who is notorious for her email forwards, so it reached a large audience that way as well.
Old 09-15-2006
Probationary Trainee

InHope82

Thanks tomahto! That's exactly how we've gotten over 200 thousand hits!
Old 09-18-2006
Probationary Trainee

hollycat
Default video

Most of my experience with euthanasia has been with alleviating beloved animals' suffering. I think it is even more tragic, however, when animals are put down because they are abandoned and have no one to care for them. I hesitated to watch the video, but closing one's eyes to ugliness does not make it go away.

Do ACO's have to put animals down on a regular basis? The video seemed to be shot mostly in a shelter, but I wondered if those who perform this sad task are both vets and ACO's.

I was moved to tears and I think this is an important video to have made.

People ask me, \'How can you stand to listen to so much pain and sadness?\' I usually answer, \'It\'s a price worth paying for hearing so much courage, determination, and joyful realization.\' - J. Bugental, therapist
Old 09-18-2006
Forum Friend

Sassy

At our shelter we euthanize animals on a daily basis. The assignment goes to a ACO and/or Kennel Attendant with a Senior supervising or assisting.
Old 09-19-2006
Probationary Trainee

k_curry
Send a message via AIM to k_curry Send a message via MSN to k_curry Send a message via Yahoo to k_curry
Default Two ways to look at it.

I know the video is sad. The day I came home and found this on the site it had been one of those days. I am the boss, and sometimes it's disheartening to keep fighting for every dime. Dealing with an officer who needs to vent. The officers want/need gear, the public wants service and the county doesn't want to hear about overtime ......Y'all know what I mean...But the video reminded me why I stay here. Why I go to work. Yep, two ways to look at that video.

We have a pretty good NPR office near hear. Maybe they can help get it on the tube.

Thanks for the reminder Mr. Valantine.
Old 09-26-2006
Forum Friend

carole
Send a message via Yahoo to carole Send a message via Skype™ to carole
Default euth video

I am the ACO for our spca and unfortunately I am the one who takes the poor critters on the one way trip to the vet. I do stay with them until they are gone. Up here we only euth for medical or behavioral issues, so sometimes it's not so hard when I know that they are sick and this is the only solution. I hate doing it but I have come to accept that this is what will happen until people start being MORE responsible for the cats and dogs of the world.
Old 09-26-2006
Forum Friend

Dog-Face
Send a message via MSN to Dog-Face

I and everybody who works with me at the shelter found it very moving.

As an ACO I do have to euthenize...faaaaar more than I would like to.
Old 02-21-2009
Probationary Trainee

abalone_girl is on a distinguished road
Default Pointing the finger

I agree with LCK, but the toughest part is when people say "Who gives you the right to play God?" I don't allow myself to think in those terms. The population of pitbulls in this county shelter is 60% on average, and 95% of the male are unaltered when they arrive. I can't get those adopted, even after their altered.