ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 07-22-2005
Probationary Trainee

wonderpup
Default NC euthanizia law ????

I use to work in a county that we used gas and injection. We were told we had inject everything under 4 months, old, sick or injured as that was state law. I am now in a county that only has gas.
My question is what is the law. One county says state law is one thing the other says that injection is not required by the law. The class I took some years ago stated that we had to inject certain things under state law.
I am only following orders, but want to make sure I am not breaking the law by gassing all the animals.

Any help out there on what NC law really is regarding euthanizing?
Old 07-22-2005
Certified Posting ACO

Ant

You better check with your local DA or city/county attorney if you can't find the state statute on your own. In my state (Arkansas) the only legal method is IV injection. Some states still allow the gas chambers. Personally I prefer the injection method. It just seems more humane.
Old 07-22-2005
Forum Friend

aco416iris
Send a message via MSN to aco416iris Send a message via Yahoo to aco416iris

I agree that injection seems more humane, in Ontario CAN, where I work, we use both the gas and injection method and although injection seems more humane to me, safety wise, it is going to be gas for wildlife and ferals. In very rare circumstances it is also used for extremely aggressive dogs.
Old 07-23-2005
Shelter Survivor

RichmondACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to RichmondACO

My opinions about gas put aside, your state veterinarian should have the answer you seek. E-mail him/her or call the office. The CA/DA may work, but if it's anything like here, they won't be too familiar with the common animal laws, and definately not one like this.-Keegan

\"The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.\"
Old 07-23-2005
Provisional Posting ACO

sue
Default NC euth.

Wonderpup Yes you are correct. The law is for anything under 4 mos, sick, pregnant, or old & debilitated. Don't think for a minute that you are alone. Many of the AC facilities are doing the same thing all over the state. There are a lot of these facilities that are using heart stick with no sedation, throwing all together in the gas box which they aren't using correctly either. Perhaps it will take another unfortunate death like the AC in TN to wake them up.

And it's not just in NC. There are many states still gassing. I don't care how gassing is done, there is nothing humane about it. The absolute only way euth. should be done IMO is EBI.

You may find the following site helpful. While they get into many other aspects of sheltering they are trying to effect changes in these facilities not just in how euthanasia is done, but in how the animals are kept. AnimalShelterReform@yahoogroups.com
Old 07-23-2005
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

A. Gianotto has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to A. Gianotto

Defenders of Animals in RI was also successful in banning gas chambers, if I recall correctly.

http://www.defendersofanimals.org/cg...pt.pl?record=2

R.I.P. Susan Caskey AKA "Critterfuz": April 1970 - Dec 2007.
R.I.P. Keegan Merrick AKA "RichmondACO": July 1977 - Jan 2009.

We miss you.
Old 07-23-2005
Provisional Posting ACO

sue
Default gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Gianotto
Defenders of Animals in RI was also successful in banning gas chambers, if I recall correctly.

http://www.defendersofanimals.org/cg...pt.pl?record=2
Yes, you are correct. It was just about 2 weeks ago the notice went out.
Old 07-24-2005
Forum Friend

aco416iris

Hi Sue, I can understand where you're coming from when you state that euthanasia by injection is the most humane, but call me devil's advocate (and I always love a healthy debate) but when it comes down to it, would you inject a rabies suspect and risk the exposure? or would you try to inject a feral and risk a bite? or a distemper raccoon? just because you don't think that EBG is as humane as EBI? I'm just curious, interested in hearing what others think as well. For me it's about mine (and other officers') safety, and as much as I think gas is inhumane as well, it is still accepted by many states and provinces alike and has been that way for many many years and I would not risk my health and safety to try injecting just because it's more humane than CO2.
Old 07-24-2005
Provisional Posting ACO

sue
Default euth

Oh I agree, & believe me no one is any more of a saftey fanatic than I was, however I can tell you how I got around all of the problems you mention.

First of all I used EIB for everything but everyone of them was under sedation first. A little more expensive, yes. Worth it from a saftey standpoint, absolutely.

Any questionable wildlife that came in was already in a trap - ditto feral cats. As I did much of the euth. alone, I put all cats in a trap to E. They were then given an appropriate shot of tranq through the wires of the trap. (ketimine & lg. animal rompun) Once they were out, they were removed from the trap & euth'd. With gloves of course.

For nasty, unhandlable dogs ( I had the city contract so lots of fighting dogs) I had a dart gun to deliver the tranq. Smaller nasty dogs I used a wire squeeze cage. Many were entirely handable & I could just administer the tranq. Any that fell somewhere inbetween I waited until I had help.

Yes, unfortunately gas is still legal in many states but I believe there are also a lot that are not using it properly or legally as per the OP.

Hope this answers your valid questions
Old 07-24-2005
Forum Friend

aco416iris

Can't argue with that. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. For the most part, we inject all domestics (tranq first as well), but wildlife is still gassed at the moment and I'm sure you're right in that not everyone is properly trained (and/or patient enough) to use it properly