ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 06-08-2009
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

GTO,

I agree with you as well. I would prefer to save a good dog than to rehabilitate a dangerous dog, but when you adopt a puppy and it turns out to be dangerous, I just can't see euthanizing it and then going to the shelter and picking up another dog. I feel that it is the responsibility of the owner to try and train that animal. If it is not trainable, then euthanization is the proper course.
Old 06-09-2009

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Okay, it seems everyone is agreed that dangerous dogs have no place in our communities, especially if you are subjected to them everyday in your city or county. My new question is how do you feel in regards to banning pit bulls all together?? before you answer, set aside emotions. Why keep around a dog which has the capability to kill a human being when there are so many safe substitutes?? use this perspective, hydroxicut was pulled from the shelves after 15 or so deaths which the use [i]may[i] have contributed to after millions of people used it. So with millions of pit bulls in the US, many of them good, why not "pull them" after so many people have been killed by pit bulls? before you jump me remember I have two pit bulls as part of my family (no kids or small pets mind you) and I have a special part of my heart for the breed, but I am not a humaniac or have a false reality, I truly believe that the life of every pit bull in the world, even my own is not worth the life of another child, or grandmother, or any person for that matter, although I have a dealt with some dirtbags I would like to trade for if given the opportunity. okay people, go easy on me please
Old 06-09-2009
Forum Friend

Big Brown Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post

I personally donít like people having the ability to keep a dangerous dog in a populated area in the first place. I donít think that dangerous dog regulations are worth very much because 1, the owner of the dog most likely knew it had the propensity to bite before the incident ever happened, and they had failed to prevent the incident. And 2, dangerous dog regulations are only as good as the ownerís dedication to following them. We canít be there 24/7 to make sure they have muzzles on the dog, or that it is inside a secure enclosure, that is the ownerís responsibility.

The problem I see here in Texas is that Animal Control does a VERY POOR JOB of enforcement when severe animal attacks occur. The State tracked severe animal attacks for years and years and the result was the same: VERY LITTLE ENFORCEMENT OCCURRED IN THE WAKE OF A SEVERE ANIMAL ATTACK.

I'm not even talking run of the mill dog bites...I'm talking severe animal attacks. Have a look here:

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/hea...ies/bite02.pdf

Last year I could find data for....546 severe animal attacks reported in the State of Texas in 2002. Court charges filed in 6.5% of the cases....less than TEN PER CENT.

What I see happening is a major abdication by Animal Control of public health responsiblity to passify the "Kinder, gentler, No Kill is our goal." crowd.

Before any new regulations are passed a vigorous enforcement of the existing statutes should be completed and most of these problems would take care of themselves. No matter how well intentioned a law is it will have no effect without enforcement.

As far as Pits in town goes....by my view bans are not necessary. Mandatory sterilization and enhanced liability insurance requirements should suffice.
Old 06-09-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee2630 View Post
Okay, it seems everyone is agreed that dangerous dogs have no place in our communities, especially if you are subjected to them everyday in your city or county. My new question is how do you feel in regards to banning pit bulls all together??
I believe that dangerous dogs should not be owned by everyone, not that they don't have a place in our community. Any dog could be potentially dangerous under certain circumstances. I have been bit more times by animals that were protecting their owners or were fear-biters than were truly "Dangerous" dogs. I don't believe in banning any dog breed for that matter. A lot of my clients' animals are pitbulls. The shelter that I work at now has a good portion of pitbulls. I have no problem working with them. In fact, they are one of my favorite breeds.

I have seen vets. that come up with excuses not to see certain breeds such as Chows, because of a bad reputation. I was nearly killed by an Australian Cattledog two years ago when I contracted bacterial meningitis from a dog bite but I still got up and went to work. I did not ban any aggressive dogs from my practice but I did ban the clients from "trying to assist". (My policy before the bite was that clients were not to assist in restraint. The dog that bit me, his owner snuck around my tech. and grabbed the dog before I noticed.) Now, if the owner refuses to back away from the dog that is aggressive, I refuse to approach the animal unless they allow me to sedate it. Most of the time, the owner will step back and allow us to do what we need to do. We are not supposed to risk a human's life for an animal but some people do not seem to understand that the vet./vet. team is composed of humans as well.
Old 06-09-2009
Field Operative

mecritterlover is on a distinguished road

My only problem with putting down a dangerous dog is that, in my area, most of them are owned by "dangerous people" who trained them to be aggressive for a reason...which means every time I seize a dangerous dog from these people, they simply go out and get another pup and "destroy" it as well...we need to add to our dangerous dog laws that should it be determined that the owner may have contributed to the animals behavior issues, that they can't have another dog!
Old 06-09-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee2630 View Post
Okay, it seems everyone is agreed that dangerous dogs have no place in our communities, especially if you are subjected to them everyday in your city or county. My new question is how do you feel in regards to banning pit bulls all together??

before you jump me remember I have two pit bulls as part of my family (no kids or small pets mind you) and I have a special part of my heart for the breed,
I know in other areas the demographics will be different, but my experience of the last two decades has been that it is around a 1 in 100 shot that Iíll come across an aggressive Pit. So answer for your own dogs, are you willing to sacrifice them, as well as 97 other family pets, in a witch hunt to eliminate the one that may be aggressive?

Not too long ago it was Chows that were reported to do one out of 3 dog bites in the US, what about them? The Netherlands overturned their Pit Bull ban because there was no reduction in dog attacks during its active period, so letís just go ahead and increase the witch hunt to include German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobies and everything else on the ďhit listĒ.

I have never seen any indication that BSL is anything more than a witch hunt, and Iíll never support any efforts enact one. In fact, I could have retired several years ago, so if the State ever does enact a witch hunt, I believe Iíll just go ahead and make the plunge.
Old 06-09-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brown Dog View Post
The problem I see here in Texas is that Animal Control does a VERY POOR JOB of enforcement when severe animal attacks occur. The State tracked severe animal attacks for years and years and the result was the same: VERY LITTLE ENFORCEMENT OCCURRED IN THE WAKE OF A SEVERE ANIMAL ATTACK.
My experience has been that it is more of a court issue than an ACO issue. I have been trying to remove a dangerous dog from a property for months, and when I asked the court about the status of the hearing they said "What hearing?"

All I can do is file for the removal/destruction or whatever, it's up to the court to make it happen.
Old 06-09-2009
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

Only thing I see on that website is a one track minded on how "Dangerous/Vicious" Pitbulls are. Regardless of what we/I know and think. They have made Pitbulls out to be the dirt of dog breeds. Just as the media and others have.

I have had plenty of pleasant encounters with them. Of course I have had some bad ones. But being any kind of animal control officer what dogs havent u had a bad run in with. This site kinda upset me. Its basically saying we should rid society of this dog. Then what after that? Look for a new breed to pick on?

The point is it is not the breed, but it is the situation and raising of the dog. As stated in prior post. I see dogs some what like raising a child. We have to teach them young and continue to teach them as they grow. Your not gonna let a child run up to another child and just act how they want with them are ya? I know I wouldn't. Teach the dog the wrong behavior its how its going to act. Cause thats all it knows to do. Teach the dog how to act right and it will.

Since seeing this thread. I went over to our files and pulled out bite records. Reviewed every dog that was involved in it. I will indefinately tell u that we have more bites from other breeds of dogs then we do pitbulls. 4 of our officers have pitbulls, 2 of our office staff have them.

I mean what is it going to take for the public and media to stop reacting this way about a certain breed?

Getting too old
Not too long ago it was Chows that were reported to do one out of 3 dog bites in the US, what about them? The Netherlands overturned their Pit Bull ban because there was no reduction in dog attacks during its active period, so letís just go ahead and increase the witch hunt to include German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobies and everything else on the ďhit listĒ.

Thats exactly what I was thinking myself. To me its just like another form of racism. Ignorant, bigots. Im sorry to be offensive. But where does it say in the constitution that im allowed a certain breed of dog cause the public deems that dog suitable.

My dogs are trained to not allow some one in my yard when im not home. I always inform some one before entering the yard/home. Stand there I will bring my dogs to you. So that they know they can be ok with us interacting with each other. In no way are my dogs attack/guard dogs. But they do keep unwanted people out.
Old 06-09-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecritterlover View Post
My only problem with putting down a dangerous dog is that, in my area, most of them are owned by "dangerous people" who trained them to be aggressive for a reason...which means every time I seize a dangerous dog from these people, they simply go out and get another pup and "destroy" it as well...we need to add to our dangerous dog laws that should it be determined that the owner may have contributed to the animals behavior issues, that they can't have another dog!

That is so true. The Township where my practice is located just started asking people whether or not their dog is debarked at the time that they renew their dog licenses. What I have found is that the person who debarked the dog for an appropriate reason, such as the dog had to have a tumor removed from the site, would tell the Township the truth that they owned a debarked dog. An owner (dangerous person) that is using the dog to guard a drug house for example, is never going to tell the Township they have a debarked dog. So, I see no reason to have handed out the form to the owners. If the dog is taken, they will find someone in another state where debarking is allowed, get the dog debarked and bring another one in. There should be sanctions placed on people who do harm to animals to prevent them from further harming future animals. If they would like to own animals in the future, they should be required to take some course and/or work in a shelter for a time period where trained personelle can observe these people and see if they are capable of working with another animal in the future.
Old 06-09-2009
Forum Friend

Big Brown Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
My experience has been that it is more of a court issue than an ACO issue. I have been trying to remove a dangerous dog from a property for months, and when I asked the court about the status of the hearing they said "What hearing?"

All I can do is file for the removal/destruction or whatever, it's up to the court to make it happen.
546 reported Severe Animal Attack incidents in one year statewide and only 21 cases filed for failure to vaccinate for rabies? Doesn't sound like a Court problem to me.

All we can do is file with the Court and then it is the Court's responsibility...I've never had a problem because I make it clear that I'm CYAed and that if the animal hurts anyone from that point on the Prosecuting Attorney and the Judge will be the ones answering media inquiries.

I've yet to see a Judge or a Prosecutor willing to sacrifice credibility and/or employment to give a dog a pass.