Stun Baton Y or N 14 31.11%
Protective Vest (BP) Y or N 31 68.89%
OC Spray Y or N 35 77.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2009
Certified Posting ACO

UPDHampton is on a distinguished road
Default armor

I'm under instruction to wear the body armor when i'm on duty, tho I do agree that it gets very warm during the summer , But it will be nice after I head to the academy after january since I will also be taking calls of the people kind, lol...
Old 09-24-2009
Forum Friend

Krypto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vylentgrrl View Post
If we need assistance, we call 911.... the duties of our "dispatch" is to transfer the call to our office or give us dead cat/dog pick-up requests. my on-call dispatch only relays the calls to us. they don't process assistance calls. again, it's up to us to call 911.
Is officer safety not an issue there? One attack on the job will cost more than a few radios.
Old 09-29-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road

If it is contrary to state law a judge cannot issue an order or brief that would be considered a violation of law. Kind of defeats the purpose of law. Some of our reserve police officers were issued tasers and I was kind enough to point out the fact that the tasers being issued to a volunteer reserve officer was contrary to state law. Only police officers are allowed to carry tasers in MI.
The laws in your state would have to be changed in other words.
Old 09-29-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPDHampton View Post
I'm under instruction to wear the body armor when i'm on duty, tho I do agree that it gets very warm during the summer , But it will be nice after I head to the academy after january since I will also be taking calls of the people kind, lol...
<---- I have a lot of questions for you regarding your position... I should call you one day.
Old 09-29-2009
Certified Posting ACO

UPDHampton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdog01 View Post
<---- I have a lot of questions for you regarding your position... I should call you one day.
My email is hampton@pld.com if you would like to get in touch
Old 09-30-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdog01 View Post
Only police officers are allowed to carry tasers in MI.
Tasers and OC are available over the counter here. Iím not aware of any background checks required, but there may be for a Taser.
Old 11-20-2009
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Tools:

On Person:

- Bullet Resistant Vest
- OC Spray
- GLOCK 40 Cal

Truck:

- Catch poll
- Remington 870
- 22 Rifle
- Leather Gloves (elbow length)
Old 11-20-2009
Shelter Survivor

fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
dishdog01-
-amazing- I am in suburban Detroit providing service to approx 80,000 people working out of the pd (carrying only OC & a catch pole)and this cat in Kansas has all of these tools and academy at his disposal. Anyone catch my post on disparity in the ACO biz?
Well I work in a town of 9,500 in Maine. I carry all the people control gear and having the statutory authority to use it. What I have seen in my area is PD's getting their former part-time ACO positions bumped up to full time. They are selling the town government that they all ready pay X and if they simply increase it to Y, they will get another patrolman who can cover calls when not doing ACO duities. They also can usually show a decrease in overtime, by using the ACO to meet staffing standards when someone calls out sick or takes vacation.

Is there a disparity in how ACO's are viewed and trained across the US? YES. Can we ever hope to be taken seriously as a profession, until we have a universal minimum standard across the country? NO. How do we fix this problem? I have no idea.

Stay Safe

Fyr
Old 11-21-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Iím in a little 3.5 sq mi town of 8K, and before I had shelter operation monopolizing all of my time, it drove me nuts that we would only have one or two police officers on duty and they would daily have to call another agency for back up. I suggested several times that they get me a peace officer certification of some type so that I could back up our officers instead of depending on mutual aid all the time, but they balked at it because they would have to pay me more if I were a peace officer.

I suggested certifying me as a reserve, but they balked at that because our reserves are required to work X amount of voluntary time as a reserve, and it would be some kind of a conflict of interest requiring a full time employee to also volunteer X amount of hours per month.

The good news is that they just reviewed my pay scale and bumped me up from the seconds lowest paid employee in the PD to where Iím now on the same scale as dispatcher or PSO and I netted a 13% raise from the deal.