Stun Baton Y or N 14 31.11%
Protective Vest (BP) Y or N 31 68.89%
OC Spray Y or N 35 77.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road
Default You know the old saying.....

Its a great point and I will tell you why. Sans a policy or procedure with respect to tranq gun it works in my favor and against me. I prefer it work in the former and not the latter but either way I am not willing to roll the dice because when the cards are on the table everyone likes a scapegoat.
Our state law is similiarly worded but the bottom line is the .50 cal. dart that comes out of the barrel of the tranq gun is beyond capable of killing an animal or person if used improperly and thats is not even considering the narcotics that are inside of the dart-need I say more? It is a great tool that I would love to utilize but until all of my questions are answered and my issues resolved-it isn't happening.
I don't "assume" anything anymore experience has taught me that is NEVER a safe bet. You know the old saying about when you assume something it makes an ASS out of U and ME.
Old 06-21-2009
Forum Friend

vylentgrrl is on a distinguished road
Default Aloha

We have a dept issued vest, ASP baton, Citronella spray, catch pole and a phone.
Old 06-21-2009
Forum Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vylentgrrl View Post
We have a dept issued vest, ASP baton, Citronella spray, catch pole and a phone.
i carry a personal pocket knife too.
Old 06-21-2009
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road

What is citronella spray?

Perhaps the most important tool you can carry is your Department issued radio, that radio is your life line to dispatch, the dispatchers at the shelter/station/base are the ones who can get you police/fire/medical help if you need it.

Some department radios have emergency triggers that when you push the emergency button, they beep and automatically trigger your mic and give Dispatch the radio's location so they can send emergency help.
Old 06-21-2009
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vylentgrrl View Post
i carry a personal pocket knife too.
What kind of knife? I carry a Smith and Wesson First Responder.
Old 06-21-2009
Forum Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC626 View Post
What kind of knife? I carry a Smith and Wesson First Responder.
Just a little pocket knife from my husband's collection. I hook it on my pants but hide the clip behind my belt so that way if i do get attacked, the won't be able to see it.
Old 06-21-2009
Forum Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC626 View Post
What is citronella spray?

Perhaps the most important tool you can carry is your Department issued radio, that radio is your life line to dispatch, the dispatchers at the shelter/station/base are the ones who can get you police/fire/medical help if you need it.

Some department radios have emergency triggers that when you push the emergency button, they beep and automatically trigger your mic and give Dispatch the radio's location so they can send emergency help.
It's like the mosquito punks but only liquid. it only stings for a bit but not intense like OC. our PD won't let us carry OC. we don't have radios. No mikes, walkies, talkies. If we need assistance, we call 911. we're supposed to have a sit down w/ our police liason to voice our concerns but it hasn't happened. our county budget is under funded because of the economy. our dispatch doesn't work like yours. it's only a title here. the duties of our "dispatch" is to transfer the call to our office or give us dead cat/dog pick-up requests. my on-call dispatch only relays the calls to us. they don't process assistance calls. again, it's up to us to call 911.
Old 06-21-2009
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13

We have a vest, asp, peeper spray and baton. We also have a radio that is linked to the sheriff's office. We use tranq guns and just recently bought 2 net guns to start using.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,
Old 06-22-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road

I have a $2000 prep radio that works when it wants to(needed two towers to boost signal-only got one, monumental mistake)-it is equipped with the orange "panic" button. I work out of the PD and have known these guys for a long time-if I call the Cavalry Will Come-lol.
Newsflash-if someones bearing down on you the radio is probably not going to save your life but you may be able to tell someone where you lost it at. I also have OC spray.
I love the depts. that issue vests because of the danger but give nothing to fight back with? I don't get it-anyone care to try explain that one? Don't get me wrong it make sense to have and wear but lacks logic.
Old 06-22-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

cattledog804 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
I see from your profile that your from Texas also, so from one Texan to another, here is my point of view.

For my OC They simply carry me under the PD use of force which covers use of OC on animals. The PD has pepperball guns, which I have been trained on, and Tasers, which I have not been trained on, but they have never developed a policy on them, so nobody can use them.

Iíve always had OC and dart guns available to me, and Iíll use the OC 5X more than the dart gun. I would stick with them for now, and if they donít want to spring for a dart gun, then at least push for the OC. The advantages of OC are 1, its usually really effective, 2, its always available and easy to deploy, and 3, being available over the counter it doesnít have the legal restrictions of a bit stick.

Remember, even though a lot of Texas ACOs carry bite sticks (ASPs), most of the major legal reps have determined that they are a illegal club, thus a prohibited weapon in the state, and you can get 1 year in the county jail for having one on your person. A bill is being presented in the next legislature that would allow ACOs to carry them, but that will be at least 2010 and probably 2011 before that goes into effect. Even if you agency looks the other way, if you ever get sued for using one on somebodyís dog, I donít know that your agency could assist you if they wanted to, so expect to be totally on your own.
We are not allowed a dart gun or any chemical imobile.In Texas have you heard of any agency going through the bite stick certification and then going before a judge to grant the ACO to carry? I have been told this can be done but I have not found anyone in Texas who has done this. Not even sure if a City Judge can do it or if has to be County or if it is even true. Not concerned over needing to use it on a dog but it would be nice to have it for the two legged animals. Most calls we have a pole in hand but on some calls it is not pratical to carry one.