ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 08-17-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

Johnny
Default ACO education question!

Hello. My name is John and I am new here. I am currently a junior at Eastern Oregon University. I'm majoring in Sociology with a social welfare concentration and doing a minor in Criminology. I am currently a photo lab technician, full-time student, husband and father. I also play drums on our worship team at church. Needless to say, I'm very busy. I want more than anything to be an ACO or a humane law enforcement officer. I want to volunteer at our humane society and also be a reserve officer for the sheriff's dept. I was thinking the combination of education and experience with the humane society and the sheriff's dept. would be good to get things going as an ACO. Having time to do all these things is pretty much impossible. Any suggestions on what I should and shouldn't do or maybe have to do and not have to do? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Be safe and God bless!
*John
Old 09-06-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

Johnny

Nevermind...

Proverbs 12:10 *A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.*
Old 09-07-2006
Forum Friend

doggz109

Uhhh.....changed your mind that quick eh?
Old 09-07-2006
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

He probably read some of the posts about what we do and have to put up with and decided to become a lawyer or something...
Old 09-07-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

Johnny

haha. No...I went on a ride-along with our county ACO and she gave me some great advice. After the ride-along I ended up getting a job offer from the animal shelter here. I took the job and am in the process of quitting my lab tech job to concentrate on school and the shelter job. With the extra time, I may become a sheriff deputy reserve...just depends on if I can get the money for the epuipment.

Even after reading about the "bad" side of the job, I am still excited to get into the field.

I also find it funny that no one replied to my post until I apparently "gave up." With so many ACOs on here I thought I would get some expert advice...

Proverbs 12:10 *A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.*
Old 09-07-2006
Kennel Commander

thexplodingirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to thexplodingirl

LOL
Guys - he thinks we're "experts"!
Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that dog.
Old 09-07-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by thexplodingirl
LOL
Guys - he thinks we're "experts"!
Sure...and I have a lot of respect for what you do. I feel that it will be a rewarding career...saving and protecting animals as well as being able to educate and punish people for animal cruelty when necessary. From reading other posts, it seems to me that a lot of you don't give yourselves the credit you deserve.

Old 09-08-2006
Forum Friend

doggz109

Well that might just be true......you learn to enjoy the few pats on the back that you do get in this job.

I have learned in my short time on the job (10 months in the field, but 3 1/2 years in animal welfare) that you will usually be underappreciated, overworked, and underpaid. You will feel like you have to be super human in every respect sometimes. It will test your patience, your gag reflex, and tug at your heart strings quite a bit. However, I will have to say that I have met some of the best human beings alive on this job as well.

Good luck in your pursuit!
Old 09-08-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggz109
Good luck in your pursuit!
Thanks Doggz! I was hired at our animal shelter here as a kennel attendant. Our coordinator said that I will get to see a lot of the bad aspects of being an ACO...this will be good preparation for the real thing...although I hear that you can never be fully prepared for all situations!!

Old 09-08-2006
Certified Posting ACO

GJ Stuart is an unknown quantity at this point

Johnny, Hopefully the "bad" parts about being an ACO is why you want to do the job....Thats the reason your questions probably werent answered quickly. Many people want to do this, until they actually see what the job is. Then you hear "I could never do your job". I hope you feel like I do and would rather be out there doing something to help the animals, rather than pretending bad things don't happen. I couldn't promise you the job IS for you. But I can promise you you'll feel happy, and sad, and mad, and more. Thats usually Monday, before lunch. I can promise you you'll be challenged, upset and underpaid, as well. But at the end of the day, you'll be glad you are there. Make sure you have people that understand your job, that you can talk to about what you see and do. I think it's really important!