ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 02-01-2007
Field Operative

carrie_cat
Default Confidentiality and the need to enlighten and inform

I agree with SJAS1, I think breed (or species, for that matter!!) is not the issue, and it's all about our success at training humans to be good around animals <G>.

I'm a little bit frustrated over the whole animal-fighting problem. I've been told by people who may not know a thing, that feral kittens and cats have also been used as bait in training fighting dogs. Naturally, for a TNR advocate like me, that's another strong argument for TNR to get kittens off the streets, and get cats off or at least under some protection, if we possibly can.

What frustrates me is that efforts against dog fighting seem to be pretty confidential, and I can appreciate the need for confidentiality. But on the other hand, how is the public supposed to get a handle on what works and what protects people and animals if it isn't possible to get any information? It's a real conundrum, I think. And frankly, my concern is that a lot of talk about anti-dog fighting efforts can take the place of real programs that are actually stopping the fighting.

One of my earliest animal related memories is of being knocked flat on the sidewalk by a friend's big and over-enthusiastic ........

GERMAN SHEPHERD

So I'm convinced that training beats bsls.
Old 02-10-2007
Provisional Posting ACO

Srupe05
Send a message via AIM to Srupe05

In Ohio we had a vicious and dangerous dog law and pit bulls were considered vicious dogs. That meant pit bulls had to be locked in a fenced in area, muzzled if they were being taken for a walk, and the owner had to have liability insurance. There were also harsher penalties if a pit bull got loose. But a few years ago the law was found to be unconstitutional. So until the new law is passed, there is no dangerous dog law. And pit bulls will not be listed as a vicious dog on the new law.
Old 02-12-2007
Certified Posting ACO

emtou

There was a huge increase of pit bulls in town a number of years ago as they became the dog of choice for gang member wannabees, they'd leash it with a chain and parade it through town. It seemed every call I got for a loose dog complaint ended with the word pit bull. I'm not against the breed, I have one myself and many of my pit bull calls end without incident. However, the police in town have had to shoot 3 pitbulls on two different occasions as they were attacking innocent people that were not the dog owners. We've never had to shoot a chihuahua or any other breed of dog. Most dogs are happy to bite and run, the problem with the pitts is they are not. Holding the owner responsible when a pitbull bites only means that someone has just become a victim of a pitbull attack. Taking lots of money from the dog owner and having the dog put down dosen't change anything for the victim. I will say that after the shootings in town, word got out that this city was not friendy to pitts and the numbers have decreased.
Old 02-23-2007
Provisional Posting ACO

Location: Originally from NJ. Moved to Dekalb County,GA.. Dec 08
PETEYMIPIT@AOL.COM
Send a message via AIM to PETEYMIPIT@AOL.COM Send a message via Yahoo to PETEYMIPIT@AOL.COM

ACO HERE IN NJ.... I OWN A PITBULL. HOWEVER, I AM A RESPONSIBLE OWNER. I SOCIALIZED MY DOG, OBEDIENCE TRAINED AND HE IS THE BEST DOG I HAVE OWNED. THEY DO MORE DAMAGE WHEN THEY BITE. ITS UP TO THE OWNER HOW THE DOG WILL MOST LIKELY BE AS MOST OF US KNOW...
Old 02-24-2007
Certified Posting ACO

dispatchgoddess50

We have no BSL in our county, but people think we do because we're so close to San Francisco. Some cities in our county do require spay/neuter after the 2nd impound, and we'll give owners $10 to get their pits fixed.

Banning a breed is not going to fix the problem. The problem is how our society treats and views dogs, so the answer must be education. If it's not pits, it's rotties, if it's not rotties, it's shepherds etc etc. We need zero tolerance for abuse when it occurs, and harsher punishments for offenders.

My $.02

SH42
Old 03-21-2007
Provisional Posting ACO

all_4_animal_rights
Send a message via Yahoo to all_4_animal_rights

i dont beleive in banning animals i do how ever agree that not all people should have animals, your animal should have propper training based on an idividual basis/ it's personality.

a person in this post said if you allow your dog to act agrressive then your at fault, i do not fully agree with this i do agree that you should take the time to get any aggression problems fixed, however these problems are not allways TOTALY fixable. i have 2 beautiful rotties they have both been through socail training and behavoiral training, my female loves almost every one and is able to go in public. however my male is very protective, does not like male dogs (AT ALL), hats, coats, or sunglasses. he must maintain eye contact and does not like men or people with dark skin tones. we have gotten him training and it has not helped so we just take the percautions and know what he can and cant be in contact with, and i think that all owners should be able to know there dog's problems and take the time to prevent or fix it.
Old 03-22-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatchgoddess50
We need zero tolerance for abuse when it occurs, and harsher punishments for offenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_4_animal_rights
I think that all owners should be able to know there dog's problems and take the time to prevent or fix it.

Between the two statements, I think we've about got my entire philosophy of the job ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 03-22-2007
Provisional Posting ACO

all_4_animal_rights

wait are you serious you think im right

wow theres a first
lol ( good job ashlyn high five)
Old 03-22-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Of course you are, you nut .. . And Kerri says that's why you'll end up in this career. Tell your folks we're sorry!

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 03-22-2007
Provisional Posting ACO

all_4_animal_rights

im sorry who is kerri again (having brain loss) oh and tell her thanks.

oh and there all ready sorry i resued three dogs yesterday. i practically work with animalcontrol. i call them every day with a 955.

in fact today my mom was driving a dog ran in front of our car and i jumped out of it while it was still moving. i just have to learn to think before acting.