ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 08-16-2006
Forum Friend

Big Brown Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

The spayed/neutered obedience trained Pit Bulls in this part of the world have a tendency of disappearing from their owners yards and ending up in the dogfighter's practice pits. The dogfighters have a curious habit of taping the docile pits mouths shut...evidently they don't want to bloody the fighting dogs unless there's money on the table.

The sweet gentle Pit that comes up to the fence is nothing more than a practice tee for the bloodsport crowd.

Of all the breeds of dogs availible to people I do not understand why folks choose a dog selectively bred for generations to exhibit uninhibited aggression towards dogs.

I just don't get it.
Old 08-28-2006
Forum Friend

Dog-Face
Send a message via MSN to Dog-Face

If we're going to ban a breed let's make it the pomeranian. I've been hurt more by them than any pitbull I've handled.

And by the way...as for the DNA typing....a chihuahua's a chihuaha is a doberman is a lab is a wolf. No dna test for it.

(by the way I'm not for banning)
Old 08-28-2006
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

I have to enforce a breed ban in my City. Unfortunately, I have to report that it works well. In theory, I can truly see both sides. Reality around here is that breed bans work. Sigh, I wish it were different.

My biggest fear is of:

LHASA APSOS!!! Eek.
Old 09-03-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

sue

BSL's are ridiculous IMO. What is needed are well written dangerous dog laws that hold the owner responsible for the actions of their dog.

Then the big problem is getting the judges to understand & properly enforce & uphold them to the fullest extent possible.
Old 09-16-2006
Forum Friend

reiver

We've have BSL here in Ontario since last year. Here are the regulations:

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/R...h/050157_e.htm

My municipality has had a "Pit Bull" Ban since 1997, and our by-law is stricter, therebytrumping the provincial ban.

In '97 existing pits were grandfathered in with a sterlization and microchip requirement. No new dogs were allowed in after that. This is one battle we are constantly fighting, even with the new provincial ban.

Both the provincal law and municipal by-law were political excercises to appease voters IMHO. Other than that I won't comment, because I'd like to keep my job.
Old 09-16-2006
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog-Face
If we're going to ban a breed let's make it the pomeranian. I've been hurt more by them than any pitbull I've handled.
In the past 18 months I've been bitten twice -- both times by poodles!! They're evil! Not too fond of Chihuahuas either . . .
Old 09-17-2006
Kennel Commander

thexplodingirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to thexplodingirl

standard poodles can be pretty nasty..
Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that dog.
Old 01-31-2007
Probationary Trainee

ldlandry2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to ldlandry2
Default Banning of pit bulls

We tried to get the breed banned. It was put on hold for now. I have to agree, that it is not the breed, but the owner! I have had some sweet pits come into the shelter. But on the same note, I have had some that I couldn't even go into their kennel. What is sad, most of the time the owner of the dog never comes to get the dog. So they end up going down. Some of the dogs have been picked up as strays before, so the owner knows they will get a ticket. We are talking about chipping every animal that is R.T. O. out of the shelter, that way we have all the information on the owner even if it isn't wearing any tags.
Any dog can be viscous! I had a Chi come in that would eat your hand off. But it is the larger breeds that can do the most damage. There are no easy answers to the question of breed banning, the only answer would be to apply strick laws for any breed.
I work at the local animal shelter, it is a good job, with lots of rewards. To see someone come in and find the animal that will become apart of their family, that is a wonderful feeling. Those are the good days. Having to put down animals that no one seems to want, are they come in sick or injured. Those are the bad days.
Old 02-01-2007
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

I am kinda on the fence with the whole BSL issue. You got these owners taking these animals and making them purposefully dangerous. However, they are taking a breed that was bred for the sole purpose of being fought. This is why they chose the pitbull instead of choosing a poodle, or a labrador, or a german shepherd.

I don't necessarily feel the BSL targets the dog, but rather removes the animal from the people that are doing harm to and with the animal. I think it is similar to what the Chicago city council did with banning sale and possession of handguns from the city. They are trying to get the weapon of choice out of the hands of the bad guys.

On the other hand, BSL punishes people that are actually responsible with their animals. How can you tell someone that has owned a pitbull for several years, no incidents of aggression, they take the animal to the vet regularly, animal is well behaved and trained...and you tell them it is illegal to have that dog? You simply cannot do that!

Tough issue to get your mind around....BSL seems like a band-aid solution to a major problem. What we need is constructive and long term solutions to this problem.
Old 02-01-2007
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

That argument that if pit bulls were banned, then they would move on to another breed has simply not happened in Ohio. Pit bulls weren't banned, but were declared vicious and required stricter confinement and control in the late 80's/early 90's after fatalities in 1987. Pit bulls still reign as number one trouble makers.

MB